Tworrs Westland Lynx Revell 1/32

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Well, I thought the belt looked just fine Garry. There seem to be several different variants of the ammo feed to the .50, here's one that shows the belt guide, but it's on the other side of the gun!
Pete
Thanks Peter, yes it does seem from my research as well that a lot of different MG's were used.
Unfortunately the supplied belt feed from Revell was not a good fit, and just irritated me, so I'm happy to have taken it off, it just looks cleaner now as well.
Cheers
Garry

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's really interesting! I've used 50's in the period '65 to '89 both here and with US and overseas forces and never seen those feed configurations. Just goes to show you never stop learning! Thanks for that!
Steve

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
That's really interesting! I've used 50's in the period '65 to '89 both here and with US and overseas forces and never seen those feed configurations. Just goes to show you never stop learning! Thanks for that!
Steve
To be fair Steve, that could also just be Revell's interpretation.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The main reason I asked about the belt is because I would have expected it to be inside a feed chute somewhat like this:

image_b.jpg

That would allow it to make the unlikely bend that Steve mentions, as well as prevent feed jams caused by the belt snagging, buckling, twisting and whatever else it’s capable of. But the illustration in the instructions shows a “bare” ammo belt, while I can’t make out in your photos whether it actually is.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Yes Jakko, it is a rather unlikely belt feed, but as I mentioned to Steve it could be just Revell's interpretation.
It is just a bare ammo belt like the instructions show, very rudimentary.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The main reason I asked about the belt is because I would have expected it to be inside a feed chute somewhat like this:

image_b.jpg

That would allow it to make the unlikely bend that Steve mentions, as well as prevent feed jams caused by the belt snagging, buckling, twisting and whatever else it’s capable of. But the illustration in the instructions shows a “bare” ammo belt, while I can’t make out in your photos whether it actually is.
Agreed mate - I'm intrigued so will do some in-depth research!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Found it I think. This page has some pictures of the door gun on a German Lynx Mk. 88, and there is a chute on the gun, but only on the right-hand side, to collect spent links:

Sea_Lynx_Mk88A_83+21_17372.jpg

But here is the left-hand side:

Sea_Lynx_Mk88A_83+21_17373.jpg

It looks like the belt is supposed to feed around that roller, which allows it to make that 90° bend, makes sure it feeds properly and probably keeps tension on it so it can do all these things.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Garry

Apologies for very, very behind on this. That has turned out beautifully - regardless of the ammo belt conundrum.

Very, very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Garry

Apologies for very, very behind on this. That has turned out beautifully - regardless of the ammo belt conundrum.

Very, very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew
Found it I think. This page has some pictures of the door gun on a German Lynx Mk. 88, and there is a chute on the gun, but only on the right-hand side, to collect spent links:

View attachment 447700

View attachment 447701

It looks like the belt is supposed to feed around that roller, which allows it to make that 90° bend, makes sure it feeds properly and probably keeps tension on it so it can do all these things.
Now I know I'm a dinosaur! Thanks for that - another piece of knowledge to occupy some of the vacant space in my head!
Steve

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry

View attachment 447700

View attachment 447701

Great job finding that info Jakko, that does seem to be the arrangement on the Revell model.
Cheers
Garry