Types of German fire extinguishers, after advice

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon all

sounds like a silly question but, i am doing research into the Stug i am building on the Stug GB and trying to work out its build date etc and the fire extinguisher might be the key to the actual month, never thought i would be a rivet counter LOL, but its getting the old juices going :dizzy:

In the wonderful Zimmerman book it shows them but the pictures are not clear, searched the web but not a lot. i assume its a very odd question (bit like me :tongue-out3: )

thanks bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Bob, think Steve is the man, normally looks in in the afternoon.
No doubt he can say.
Can't believe that the No 1 StuG builder doesn't know the answer. :nerd:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Google ...WWII German fire extinguisher images... to get details on early & late design images/details. PaulE

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi John

I do know that sausage and chips were on the menu at Alkett but not the type of extinguisher lol:upside:

Hi Paul, tried but not a lot about the types, use, including when used etc.

The pics i have are not clear at all and there are not a big amount in my book. Will have to look further

Bob

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Which Stug and which year are you looking at Bob??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve

According to my info a new type was fitted to stugs at Alkett in August 44. The book has photos but not clear and not sure what type is the kit one??

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Personally I wouldn't be looking to the fire extinguisher to pin point a build date. Better looking for things like whether the auto MG was fitted/ was the option there but not fitted (plated over hole), which way do the loaders hatches open, has it a gun crutch? Answer these questions a few others and you can pretty much nail the date within a month or 2. BTW, the assumption I've drawn is that this a fairly late Stug we're talking about and the questions I've raised reflect this.
Hope this helps
P

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It's the Mrs. BDay today so I may not find out today. Hopefully someone else may come up with the answer in due course

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi, thats all done, built july to early September 44. But noticed the possible change of extinguisher sometime in August 44

Thanks Steve, no rush. Any spare cake!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorted, mainly my mistake :rolling:

In the Muller / Zimmerman book it says a new tetra fire extinguisher was fitted up to August 1944 and then in August 1944 a new one one fitted, i made the error of thinking they were two different units, wrong they are the same. But it refers to the location of the extinguisher on the left hand fender at the rear by the rear light

this is a photo of the Dragon plans which gives three choices for you to place it

fire 001.JPG

The tick shows the correct place for an Alkett made Stug up to August 1944, the middle option is the location for a Stug made by Miag, this should not be showed as the kit is for a Alkett made Stug not Miag!
The last option on the right is for after August 1944, the extinguisher is now parallel with the body and against the Stug bodies side, this made it less exposed to damage

I will now place it there meaning i can say the Stug was made August or very early in September 1944

sorry:hungry:

bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Would never have thought that!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR