Typhoon TK-17 based on Engel's Kit

W

Wis

Hello guy's :smiling3: Hello Ramesh ;)

Well, my first post here will be to show you step by step the evolution of construction. My choice : TK-17 Arkhangelsk

To do her, a lot of modifications and improvement need to be done !

I'm apologize, my english is rusty and I'm afraid english version will contain less comments for the beginning of this project than the previous french's version.

Work started 04/05/ of this year. (This post are also in English on SP forum and in french in modelisme.com and on my website here : Carnet de Bord

Here is the pictures story with short legend :smiling3:

080406094616131361913000.jpg

First strong modifications of conning tower :

TK-17_-(1).jpg

TK-17_-(14).jpg

TK-17_-(15).jpg

Engel Kit doesn't have starboard and port towed sonar array, TK-208, TK-17 and TK-20 have this device. I need to proceed modifications like ramesh did !

TK-17_-(18).jpg

TK-17_-(17).jpg

Original "Castor Tail" aren't correct for TK-17 but good if you want to do TK-12 for exemple...

Strong modifications again in this part of the aft...

TK-17_-(21).jpg

There is no tile on the castor tail, I detemined the limit and do some modifications...

Queue.jpg

TK-17_-(23).jpg

TK-17_-(24).jpg

TK-17_-(25).jpg

Starboard unfinish TSA...

TK-17_-(27).jpg

Grid placement test... look great ! ^^

TK-17_-(26).jpg

Aft escape hatch un up position

TK-17_-(28).jpg

TK-17_-(29).jpg

Strong modification of the lower rudder !

TK-17_-(33).jpg

TK-17_-(34).jpg

TK-17_-(35).jpg

TK-17_-(37).jpg

Ok that all for this first post :smiling3:

Last edited:
W

Wis

so next set of pictures (at the moment I've got about 125 pictures and workshop is not finish ^^)

Extract of Polar Bear modifying plans of the upper rudder and Led schematics implentation

safran_lights.jpg

Let's go, drilling session ! :D

TK-17_-(38).jpg

[/url]

TK-17_-(40).jpg

TK-17_-(41).jpg

TK-17_-(42).jpg

TK-17_-(43).jpg

TK-17_-(44).jpg

TK-17_-(45).jpg

TK-17_-(46).jpg

TK-17_-(47).jpg

TK-17_-(51).jpg

TK-17_-(52).jpg

TK-17_-(54).jpg

M

Mankster

Great stuff, keeping it up. Now I am getting the itch to do another accurate big sub...

W

Wis

\ said:
Great stuff, keeping it up. Now I am getting the itch to do another accurate big sub...
Don't hesitate to pick some material on Subressources ;) this site exist for that purpose :D

Another pictures set, another task, return near the conning tower for a time :smiling3:

TK-17_-(62).jpg

TK-17_-(63).jpg

TK-17_-(64).jpg

TK-17_-(65).jpg

TK-17_-(67).jpg

TK-17_-(68).jpg

TK-17_-(69).jpg

TK-17_-(70).jpg

TK-17_-(71).jpg

I was not satisfied about the rear rendering, so I done it again... and again... finally I stopped improvement whith this form :

TK-17_-(103).jpg

TK-17_-(104).jpg

TK-17_-(105).jpg

TK-17_-(106).jpg

Last edited:
W

Wis

After sanding, I decided to put the rudder in final position without sealed it yet !

TK-17_-(72).jpg

Led rendering is quite good but form of the big one need to be improve... later task, this is not a priority. I will do this when I sanding the hull for primer correction...

TK-17_-(73).jpg

A good view of the aft section, I did a trench for put easily dive plan mecanism :rolleyes:

TK-17_-(75).jpg

TK-17_-(76).jpg

TK-17_-(77).jpg

TK-17_-(78).jpg

TK-17_-(79).jpg

TK-17_-(80).jpg

TK-17_-(81).jpg

TK-17_-(82).jpg

TK-17_-(83).jpg

I made some modification near screw, improving look regard the real one ;)

TK-17_-(85).jpg

I love this view, I thinking about accurracy of the aft and I decided to not fix the flap. They are no present in fact on the real TK-17

TK-17_-(87).jpg

Last edited:
W

Wis

I tried to manage an maximum accurate modifications. It's no easy because some of them depend of the date, for exemple the aft part of conning tower change between 1991 to 2001 and between 2001 and 2007 ! :thinking:

It's really a nightmare to put some dates on photography except someone time like this :smiling3: :

DSC00467_LD.JPG

(HD picture on subressources)

Some views before sanding the aft

I like this view, behin we can see the flag of nothern fleet :smiling3:

TK-17_-(107).jpg

TK-17_-(108).jpg

TK-17_-(109).jpg

TK-17_-(110).jpg

TK-17_-(111).jpg

TK-17_-(112).jpg

An other comparative view (I know it's TK-20 severstal... but general hull shapes are identicals between TK-17 and TK-20)

TK-17_-(113).jpg

TK-17_-(114).jpg

Détails récently add on the upper hull... I want a reallistic rendering :smiling3:

TK-17_-(115).jpg

TK-17_-(116).jpg

TK-17_-(117).jpg

W

Wis

Workshop of a day : Admission water grid on bottom of the lower hull

TK-17_-(118).jpg

TK-17_-(119).jpg

TK-17_-(120).jpg

TK-17_-(121).jpg

TK-17_-(122).jpg

TK-17_-(123).jpg

TK-17_-(124).jpg

With more four hundred grids like this to put left :shock:

TK-17_-(125).jpg

TK-17_-(126).jpg

TK-17_-(127).jpg

TK-17_-(128).jpg

TK-17_-(129).jpg

TK-17_-(130).jpg

TK-17_-(131).jpg

Underwater navigation light, one White LED 800.000mcd ( :D ) and two UV LED 2.500mcd (pictures show the aft, there is a same configuration on the bow, but not done yet !)

TK-17_-(132).jpg

TK-17_-(133).jpg

At last I still have a lot of work to do. Today I fix minor détails before continuing the workshop :smiling3:

A picture of TK-208 during a bulava's test :smiling3:

TK-17_-(134).jpg

W

Wis

I found last April a good website who sold vector images of flags and heraldry : Russia: vector images of flags and heraldry

I bought this for the front of conning tower, after a color correction I will made a dry transfert of it :smiling3:

Blason.jpg

941ARKANGELSK_SSN_Typhoon_class_.jpg

(HD picture on subressources)

W

Wis

Good evenning everyone ;)

Everything was fine on shipyard when I noticed sa tiny error on conning tower (a piece was wrong fixed). I decided to remove it and then... Tragedy ! :'(

TK-17_-(135).jpg

After an screaming out loud session to remove the rest of anger, I tried to stay cool and redone the work...

TK-17_-(136).jpg

Not wanting to stay on this incident before get sleep, I implemented a session of repairs ...

TK-17_-(137).jpg

After a re sticking to endfest and sealing additions, it remains for me to sand and put chews on the old position wrong ...

TK-17_-(138).jpg

After that I get sleep...

M

Mankster

Hi Wis, first time I noticed that the prop shrouds on TK-20, in this shot, seems a longer than the kit version. Any thoughts?

W

Wis

You perfectly right, Engel prop are too short:poster_oo

In fact, it's the entire aft section who is false, the rudder is not enough long and the props are too high regards the waterline.

Normally the scale of tunnel prop (red line) is about 5.7 centimeters, on the models, engel made only 3.3 cm !:thinking:

Because modifications are too strong (and because I do not want to loose my temper and my nerves), I decided to "forgot" this particular détails...

Engel Hull is a melting compilation of many sources. Globaly it is a good start but the hull suffer some defects irremediable like this bloody keel boat...

Last edited:
W

Wis

As I work on conning tower yesterday, I wanted to start template of the plastic card of 0.15 mm thick which will be pasted on the front of conning tower or where the arkangelsk patch was painted.

941ARKANGELSK_SSN_Typhoon_class_.jpg

First step, drawing on the conning tower...

TK-17_-(126).jpg

Then, scribe on semi transparent paper, scan and redraw on illustrator and finally include the vector patch and typography.

It's ashame but I can't find the exact typography... I will change if I found better...

TK-17_-(139).jpg

Print on paper and put on conning tower...Yeah that a pretty good look ! :D

TK-17_-(140).jpg

TK-17_-(141).jpg

Done for a time :smiling3:

M

Mankster

\ said:
Because modifications are too strong (and because I do not want to loose my temper and my nerves), I decided to "forgot" this particular détails...Engel Hull is a melting compilation of many sources. Globaly it is a good start but the hull suffer some defects irremediable like this bloody keel boat...
Ah right, I understand. Still this is going to be the best RC Typhoon when its finished :respect1:

W

Wis

When glue get dry on conning tower I started to work on preissur hull.

Here is the render at this point :

W

Wis

Hello,

So, modifications of conning tower are almost done, some details still to be add but no big deal.

I need to add some material for windows glass, the are not totally done.

Althought, front label was prepare, I still need to improve the look of it.

TK-17_-(147).jpg

A big session of sanding waiting for me now to prepair primer arrival !

TK-17_-(148).jpg

I like very much this view, Aft of conning tower show a realistic shapes

TK-17_-(149).jpg

Still missing some grids, they will addd later

TK-17_-(150).jpg

In contrary of my first thought, faces of conning tower are not symetrical !

I wasted some time to fix my wrong modification :smile11:

Red circle show the correction...

TK-17_-(151).jpg

On this view, we can see the missing small grids who need to be fix in front of small holes

TK-17_-(152).jpg

That all for today ;)

W

Wis

While the workmanship of the plate ends gently, I started putting in place the various elements in order to see changes / adjustments that I will make the hull watertight.

Here we have a vision of the current state of the aluminium plate, it remains to practise the openning, to resize to right dimension make some screw holes.

Detail of aluminium plate

That was roughly what will be assembly of thickness aluminum plate and plate lexan. To limit height, I will be lowered to watertight container to avoid to add more foam or lead more!

We see that I can get off the hull 5mm thick without problems.

Engel had around her window walnut metal bars in the resin + microballon, I'll be able to smoothly reduce the thickness of the resin on these remaining places.

New support plate in aluminium

I need a lot of work to improve the aft section. All this work left depend of quality and assembly of watertight container!

W

Wis

Thank you for the tip Ramesh ;)

I will do a piece like this drawing to support propeller shafts

TK-17_-(161).jpg

Today I'm working on dry container ! :smiling3:

I need to sanding a little the edge to smooth aspect

TK-17_-(162).jpg

Could be worse... but... still work to do

TK-17_-(163).jpg

A small global view of aluminium plate

TK-17_-(164).jpg

that all for today :smiling3:

W

Wis

Well, today I worked on my project. since a pretty long time (two weeks) I was stop building because I need to make a point. Now, all future process is clear to me and I can work with serenity and patience. I started cutting the handling plate for the propeller shaft like I drawn sometimes ago...

TK-17_-(161).jpg

Now, she is in place and get positionize but she wasn't fixe yet. I still have a lot of work to do on them. I don't now yet if I will drill more holes to get a lighter structure of this support plate. I need to adjust some shape but ideas is set :smiling3:

TK-17_-(165).jpg

Because thie plate positionize on a very tiny area, I need to adjust the final shape, now I need to reconsider position of some drinlling arc.

TK-17_-(166).jpg

Finally, I will sanding this piece then fixe her properly. I think about some extra fixation but I still not sureabout advantage. Propeller shaft will be changed, there are too short

TK-17_-(167).jpg

So tha was the work of the day, I will be please to answer your question :P