Tyz Guide To Figure Painting

First Name
Ty
Hello all. I got a request to re-post my Master Class on figure painting. Photobucket changed their policy on third party hosing so all of my pics disappeared. So here it is again. How I paint figures. It is by no means a definitive method and there are far better figure painters out there than me, but this a method I found that works for me.

Subject: 1/16th scale Dragon Otto Skorzeny Figure.

Materials I used:

Artists oils - Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Titanimum White, Cobalt Blue, Vandyke Brown, red, and Paynes Grey. Mineral Spirits for thinner.

Vallejo - Burnt Umber, Sand Yellow, Medium flesh, Cavalry Brown, Burnt Cad Red, Black Grey, Black, and Leather Brown. Water for thinner.

Humbrol Enamel - Silver and flat red. Mineral Spirits for thinner.

Tamiya Acrylic - Sea Blue and Olive Drab(More of an Olive Grey). Tamiya acrylic thinner.

Paint brushes in sizes from 1 all that way down to 00000.

Foam sponges and foam makeup applicators.

Flat lead wire for the MP40 strap and helmet strap.

And of course a compressor and airbrush.

Ok...here we go.

1. Some shots of the figure. I used lead wire to form the MP40 strap and the chin strap for the helmet.

Picture1.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg Picture5.jpg

First Name
Ty
4.All flesh was given a coat of Humbrol #63 Sand as basecoat for the flesh. Let this dry for at least 24 hours. I tried to rush it and you can see the result in a few steps. On the left cheek/chin. If you don’t let it dry properly, when you wipe off the first coat of oil you will take some of the Sand coat with it. I also painted the belt with Vallejo Cavalry Brown.Picture10.jpg Picture11.jpg Picture12.jpg

First Name
Ty
5. Next I mix up equal amounts of Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, and Raw Umber. This results in a nice rich red brown.Picture13.jpg Picture14.jpg

First Name
Ty
6. This mix is painted on all exposed flesh quite liberally ensuring that all deep spots (Eye Sockets, Nostrils, Inner Ears etc) get covered. I know it looks weird but it will make sense in the later steps.

Picture15.jpg Picture16.jpg Picture17.jpg Picture18.jpg

First Name
Ty
7. I usually let the paint sit for about an hour as it lets some of the red brown oil penetrate and stain the sand base. Using soft sponges. ( I use ones from the women’s makeup dept), wipe in a downward only motion softly. This removes the majority of the red brown from the flesh except for the deep spots and leaves stained flesh. You can see where I took off some of the humbrol sand on his left cheek and chin. This is what happens of you don't let the sand paint dry completely. I corrected this off camera

Picture19.jpg Picture20.jpg Picture21.jpg Picture22.jpg

Attachments

• Picture23.jpg
    Picture23.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture24.jpg
    Picture24.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 11
First Name
Ty
8. For the hands you wipe perpendicular to the fingers. (In the direction of the red arrow). This leaves the shadows of the fingers with red/brown paint.
Picture25.jpg Picture26.jpg

First Name
Ty
9. Now you have two options, leave the paint for a couple of hours and then add the light flesh. This option allows you to work with all wet paint and allows for some really nice blending. The down side is that it is easier to mess things up because it’s just as easy to drag the wrong shade to the wrong spot and be forced to start that area again. Option two is to let the now red/brown base dry completely before adding the light flesh. This option allows for more safety but it’s harder to get a good blend. You now have to rely on the ability of oil paint to become virtually translucent if you spread it far enough. This is how you achieve blending.

The light flesh mix. There are no perfect recipes for this but here are some guidelines I have used.

Gold ochre – Burnt Sienna – Titanium White----mixed in a 2:1:4 ratio.
Picture27.jpg Picture28.jpg

First Name
Ty
Now comes the to taste part. You can take this mix and add a little blue for a darker cooler shade or add a little red for a warmer shade if you want. I usually split the medium shade mix above and make a darker and light shade so I have three shades of flesh.
Picture29.jpg

First Name
Ty
10. Use three or four small brushes for the following. (You should always try and have at least one clean one ready). I use one brush with a point to apply a small dot of the medium flesh to various spots on the face. (Avoiding the shadow areas). Then I use a brush that no longer has a good point, I call them pusher brushes, and push the flesh dots until they become basically transparent. Keep using small dots of paint until you get to the shadowed areas. Now if you used option one from step 9 you have to blend the light with the still wet dark. This means dragging some the dark in to the light and some of the light into the dark. This where the extra brushes come into play. It won’t take long before you realize you need a new brush because you have ended up with a weird shade mix on the brush and you aren’t blending anymore. This takes practice and I can’t say any more than you will get the hang of it.

If you use option two of step 9 then this where translucency comes into affect. If the flesh coloured paint is almost translucent when you push it over the border of the shadowed area you will see immediately that you’ve changed the shade of the shadowed area just a bit. You keep doing this (all over the hands and face) until you’re satisfied with the result. The goal here is to leave the shadow areas darker than the higher point and to show a smooth transition between the two.
Picture30.jpg Picture31.jpg Picture32.jpg Picture33.jpg Picture34.jpg

First Name
Ty
12. Here is where I made my next mistake. I was painting the silver piping on the cap and for some reason (paint fumes???) I ended up painting the lower trim on the cap silver as well. Oh well, I corrected it later on.

For the iris and pupil I used Archer Transfer human eyes and was quite pleased with the result.

Picture41.jpg Picture42.jpg Picture43.jpg

First Name
Ty
13.Next to add a bit more colour to his face I added some red to my flesh mix. I also used this mix for the lips as well. Same thing as before, just a few drops here and there and then “push” the paint till it blends in and give a bit more of a rosy complexion to the cheeks.
Picture44.jpg Picture45.jpg

First Name
Ty
14. After that, the final highlight. Remember the grey I mixed in step 11? Well take some of that put a drop on each cheek, lower and upper bridge of the nose, and chin. These are the highest points of the figures face and should then be the lightest colour. (Note: I did also add a drop of grey to the upper left forehead area). Now, same as before, get your pusher brush and blend it in.
Picture46.jpg Picture47.jpg Picture48.jpg

First Name
Ty
Now I didn’t take any more pics because I was trying to get him ready for a contest and for this I apologize. Here is how he ended up looking. You will notice that he now has some stubble growth. This is totally optional and was done by putting very small drops of Paynes grey and really pushing it and making it translucent. I also put a little more red on the cheeks and between the eyes
Picture53.jpg Picture54.jpg Picture55.jpg Picture56.jpg Picture57.jpg Picture58.jpg

Attachments

• Picture59.jpg
    Picture59.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture60.jpg
    Picture60.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2
First Name
Ty
I hope I was able to pass on some useful tips for you all. Like I said earlier, my way is by no means the right or only way to paint a figure. It's just A way.

J

Jens Andrée

Wow!
(Hard to comment anything else since those pictures speak on their own... :smiling3: )

I've tried oil paints on my 1/35 figures but I've had a different approach. Learned lots here!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A big thank you for reposting this great guide. I for one need all the help I can get with faces!