U.196. A Strange Odyssey to her final resting place.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
U.196 was a German U.Boat sent to the Far East late in WW2 as part of the Monson Group to hunt in The Indian Ocean and if possible further afield around Australian waters.
On 30th. November, fully fueled and stocked up with food, she left her base in Penang, Malaysia - and promptly disappeared.
Rumours abounded that she was full of gold bullion and had headed for South America. She was supposedly seen along the Mexican coast, then Chile. Then nothing.....

In 1981 fishermen along New Zealand's North Auckland Peninsular reported snagging their nets on an underwater object. A dive was organised and it was discovered the wreck was indeed an unidentified submarine. The Auckland Peninsular is in a direct line from the Chilean Coast......

The wreck was dived on again in 2006. This time it was more exposed and had moved slightly from it's original position. The submarine was found to be in excellent condition due to it originally being buried in sand. Still no positive i.d.

In 2018 after severe tropical storms hit the coast in parts of remote Northern New Zealand, a survey of the coastline was ordered to check on any damage. A member of the team scrutinizing the satellite images noticed a strange 'Something' half out of the water on a particularly desolate shoreline. An investigation was launched. A Marine Professor and an assistant were flown out to the area of the sighting.
This is what awaited them........ U.196
P1240726.JPG

P1240736.JPG

P1240739.JPG

P1240738.JPG

P1240740.JPG

P1240741.JPG

P1240742.JPG

P1240743.JPG

P1240744.JPG

P1240748.JPG

P1240755.JPG

P1240758.JPG

P1240750.JPG

P1240757.JPG

P1240764.JPG

P1240759.JPG

P1240763.JPG

P1240768.JPG

P1240767.JPG

P1240765.JPG

True story or a complete load of cobblers?

Either way the various theories of U.196's life and final voyage makes for excellent reading. I recommend it.

I hope you like my U.Boat, whatever number she had.

Thanks for looking.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, very believable dio, but get to the point Ron - is the gold bullion still there?
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Ron. What do you use for your water effects?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
'e's done it again! Another masterpiece out of 'alf a kit, 'alf the contents of 'is larder an' a 'andful of garage sweepin's!

PS. 'avin' found the missin' sub 'imself, what d'you reckon the chances are of 'im leavin' the bullion there Pete? I think it must 'ave already bin taken though, else young Ron'd be sittin' on a tropical beach somewhere with a Boddies in one 'and and Justine in the other - an' not spendin' 'is time waitin' for the rain to stop so's 'e could put some pictchers on 'ere!

PPS Knowin' you're a frugal chap (notice I din't say you was a miserable ol' skinflint!) Ron, an' don't like to see things goin' to waste - it takes a brave man to mix 'alf a pack o' Weetabix with 'alf a pack o' rice for breakfast - are you goin' to give us any 'ints about what you're goin' to do with the other 'alf of your kit?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's O.K. 570 you can tell us how the Zulus raided the wreck on one of their weekend outings by dugout canoe. and they are all in the Bahamas yuking it up at Hitlers expense etc..etc... Nice work!! the wave action is the best I have ever seen. You might consider a U-tube video class for us slow learners and ne'r do wells as to how you work this particular magic. I have already started saving my floor sweepings...just in case. Cheers, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Wonderful modelling, story telling and photography. The people are a really nice touch.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh my word. Ron that is amazing.

The water looks so realistic too. How do you do it?

An exceptional diorama all round.

Very, very well done indeed!!

ATB

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ron...Must have been one hell of a storm to wash that up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you for the great posts on my U.Boat build.

Pete - It was never proven that gold was actually on U.196. It has even been suggested that Uranium might have been carried on her last voyage.
As I have written, go on t'internet and look up this U.Boat. Amazing unproven story(ies). As far as I know, all still shrouded in mystery.

Ian - Keep in mind that the boat was originally covered in sand, and from 1981 to 2006 when the wreck was re-discovered, it had in fact moved a short distance from it's original location. So perhaps it was in the area of this little inlet all the time and the bad storm removed what was left of the sand and shoved it further ashore , thus finally revealing the submarine. Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction..... :upside:

The 'Water' motion is simply layers of clear silicone beads worked and sculpted with a small screwdriver and a nail. I'm sure there are loads of different and better ways to attain the same effect on U-Tube anyway. I wouldn't know 'cause I don't go on it.....

I will start work on the cut off stern of the U.Boat fairly soon.

Cheers all, and thanks again.

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron. I only ask as i have a water theme diorama coming up. No build thread for it until after i've built it. Watch this space lol