U-82 Revelle 1/72 aka the skatebord.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here are some (poor) photos of the skatebord, all painted and the tape removed and looking less like a skatebord and more like a U-boat!
painted with Vallejo model color paints weather and rust done with Oils.
I know that there are a lot of drain ports that are not blacked out, I did start to drill them out, but was soon loosing the will to live. IF I ever do another U-boat I will do them all, from the inside befor gluing the hull together....Which would involve a Dremel and some bur grinders, and most likely a vacuum cleaner!

20211221_115031.jpg

20211221_115039.jpg

20211221_115107.jpg

20211221_115203.jpg

20211221_115214.jpg

20211221_115244.jpg

Hope you like it.
It was a very easy build and the painting was a blast. So I guess now the cave is run in again!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
I really like that. The heavy weathering has come out well. A very nice result.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fantastic work Ian. One of the best subs I've seen modelled.

Great work.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build and paint job. A great looking boat Ian.
Yes, my 'Atlantic/41' version was an easy build too - Once I'd removed the railings from the sprues that is....

Re- the drain ports. I lost the will to live when drilling them out as well, but just about managed to get through the pain barrier!

Great result. Me like. :thumb2:

Ron

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps ! Glad you like it.
The best way I have seen to take care of all those holes in the hul (no wonder the darn things kept sinking) is to carefully grind the backs off from the inside, this will also thin the material down to a more scale thickness. Then you have to install a ruddy big tube to simulate the rather (now) visible pressure hull within!
When I bought the kit many moons ago I had some very good photos of all the 'gubbins' below the deck, which would enable me to open the whole thing up and be able to see all the pipes, tubes and access hatches! Might have a look for them one day...or maybe not lol.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Ian, that is a cracking U-boat. Superb mate, love the paint look and the subtle camo, the weathering is spot on, it is surprising how battered and rusty they got. In fact, at the end of the war so many captured subs were in a bad state they flooded or sank anyway.

Brilliant model and one that I would defo have on display.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Ian,

That's one of the most fantastic skateboards I've ever seen in my life!!! I can just see you standing on top making your moves, left and right as you ride down the street/ocean. Seriously though, that is one most excellent finish and really looks tops Sir!!! Something right out of "Das Boot" I would say. Happy Ho, Ho, Ho to you, yours and all in Danemark...............

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ian, in 1/72 scale she must be near a meter long if not more. I have a U-VII C in 1-87 scale and it is quite lengthy. It is, unfortunately, a resin kit and I am going to have to become desperate in order to build it. I love the paint and weathering you have done on yours and can only hope to come somewhere in the neighborhood of achieving what you have accomplished here. Tip 'O the Hat to you Sir. :thumb2: Rick H.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb result Ian, very effective weathering and a fantastic all round result