U BOAT MUSEUM IN LIVERPOOL

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi all

Does anybody know if the U-boat museaum in Liverpool (or is it in Birkenhead?) worth visiting?

I am in Liverpool next week and thinking about visiting it

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - thanks for the link, it does look like its worth a visit. All I have to do now is convince my wife!

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Peter.
To be honest, I found it a bit disappointing.
When the sub. first came into the Mersey it was in one piece. Now it is chopped up into sections. Each one blanked off with safety glass so you can peep in, but can't enter.
Externally it's in a very poor condition and the whole outside display looks a bit tired to be honest.
P1210189 (2).JPG

P1210188 (2).JPG

P1210191 (2).JPG

However, the history reading is interesting, but the boat itself was a bit of a let down.

The best, cheapest and most convenient way to see it is to buy a river cruise ticket from Mersey Ferries. This gives you a 'Jump on Jump off.' triangle of ferry terminals - Liverpool Pier Head and on the Birkenhead side of the river, Seaforth and Woodside. Woodside is where the U.Boat is. One of the ticket options gets you into the U.Boat Story Museum. This is the one I bought.

Please don't let me put you off, the Cruise Ticket is a great way to spend the day on the Mersey and in Liverpool. (Take a stroll along the water front too)

Cheers.
Ron