U-Boot Ensign

K

kkuhnke

This is my first post and the following may have been asked before. I have built a Revell 1:350 Bismarck, have a 1:200 in progress and want to start a 1:72 scale VIIC. Why does Kriegsmarine U-boot division always carry the ensign with the red background? I always believed that the U-boot ensign 1933-1945 had a white background.

Karl

B

Bunkerbarge

As far as I am aware the Kriegsmarine ensign has a red background and was used by all areas of the navy throughout the second world war. Consequently the ensign for the Bismark is the same as used on the type VII's.

From 1921 until 1935 the navy was known as the Reichsmarine. On the 21st May 1935 the Kriegsmarine was formed and on the 7th November the ensign was adopted that was then used throughout the second world war, with the Swastika and the red background.

K

kkuhnke

\ said:
As far as I am aware the Kriegsmarine ensign has a red background and was used by all areas of the navy throughout the second world war. Consequently the ensign for the Bismark is the same as used on the type VII's.From 1921 until 1935 the navy was known as the Reichsmarine. On the 21st May 1935 the Kriegsmarine was formed and on the 7th November the ensign was adopted that was then used throughout the second world war, with the Swastika and the red background.
Hi Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the reply. I was unsure as on the following website link and on ModelFlags.com Germany-Military/Naval they sell the U-boot ensign with a white background. I have checked others and not found any proof that this white background is correct. I will just get on with the construction of the kit. It is a VIIC with the WEM upgrade. I also went for the Nautilus wooden deck upgrade but shied away from the Wintergarten conversion. Not sure if I am going to make it look like a particular boat. I first wanted to do U-28 but that is a Type VIIA, my namesake's first command.

German U-Boat Ensign 1933-45

Thanks for your help.

Karl

B

Bunkerbarge

Did you have a read through this:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/2410-revell-1-72nd-type-vii-u-boat.html

There are other build threads of the same kit here on here as well, have a search around.

K

kkuhnke

\ said:
Did you have a read through this:http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/2410-revell-1-72nd-type-vii-u-boat.html

There are other build threads of the same kit here on here as well, have a search around.
Richard, thanks for the info on your build. Stunning! I have a lot to learn yet. I will post some pictures when it's done.