U.S.S.Hancock

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
52b135c0.jpg

With a full complement of aircraft on board,Skyhawks,Hawkeyes & Crusaders.

G

George

USS Hancock

With a full complement of aircraft on board,Skyhawks,Hawkeyes & Crusaders.
Nice one Barry, That would make an excelent subject for you. Flight Deck only with the Air complement :dan1:

D

duncan

I`ve counted about 50 aircraft, are there even more at the bow ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Knew that you would like this one George,a very busy scene there.

Many years ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper the local firemen had a model boat club in the city of Coventry,someone had the idea to moor some model battleships,a few galleons and what caught my eye two aircraft carriers,the place was called Swanswell pool which was a park with a circle of water and a central island,they took the models out and moored them about 40 feet from the pathway,they were there for about a fortnight in the summer months but can you imagine doing this today with the risks of vandalism ! the galleons were very impressive and huge,well to a little lad they seemed that way.I do remember that one carrier had Hawker Sea Hawks on the deck,funny the things that you remember ?

By the way that pool is still extant,but now covered in duck weed and rubbish,a sad cry from the way that it used to be kept.

Is this idea of mooring out large warsips etc unique or has it been done before ? I am sure that it must have been ?

D

duncan

Is this idea of mooring out large warships etc unique or has it been done before ? I am sure that it must have been ?

There is a stately home somewhere in England that has a large (15-20ft ?) model of H.M.S. Hood moored on a lake during the summer months. It is made of wood and polystyrene foam. I have no idea where it is or why it is there. Anybody heard of it?..... Richard Howard of Child-Beale Park has a few very large models hidden away that would look good moored on the "big lake".