U2540 a.k.a. Wilhelm Bauer

If you had to pick a 'favorite' design to a U-boat, what would it be?

• Type II -coastal patrol and training - I like my missions to be done by dinner time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type IX - long haul/monsoon group- 4 months at sea? why not, my nose is dead.

• Type XXI -the latest word in U-boats - yeah... just yeah.

• the 'milk cow' -paint a big target on my submersible supply station why don't you?

• Total voters
W

Willi262

Just finished priming the hull in tamiya white. Checking over the sprues, I have to say that this kit seems very well done. Minimal flash, lots of little detail. Even the lights on the ceiling have been molded.

This promises to go together with little fuss.

I am really into U-boats now and find it difficult to explain my unhealthy devotion to the subject....

View attachment 88780

IMGP1225.JPG

First Name
Richard
Sounds interesting, will keep an eye on this one.

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
as i say ever time i see someone do a sub, i must do one ,one day, and do like the looks of this ;)

G

Graham D

I will watch this. I have seen after market parts that replaces the interior of this model. I cannot remember the web site

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to more, an interesting looking kit

Z

Ziper_it

Now that's another thread to follow with interest.

You can start ...

W

Willi262

Not much progress to report at the moment. The interior is painted a two tone, light green and japanese navy green. Later I will trace out the pipes and guages and apply some false shadowing to bring out some of the detail. Some guages are given in decal form and I will alternate between the two application methods.

W

Willi262

Nothing so far, I took a small break to do another project which would require less time to complete. I will be going back to the sub in short order, and will provide some visual entertainment on it (the build process) as well...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I had this as a part build. most bits missing...so what could I do...yep, wrecked it.

I think your's will look better than mine Steve lol.

Si:smiling3:

W

Willi262

Not much progress to report. Things have been rough going over the last little while and model painting, much less building hasn't been much of a priority. But I have put some more detail on and will take it as I get to it for now.

W

Willi262

The sub is about 30% complete. A lot more detail painting than I was expecting. And there are a lot of decals for indicators and handwheels. Not sure if I should have just painted them instead, but we will see where it goes. Model mojo is picking up a bit (of all the times), so maybe soon we will have the next 30% complete...

W

Willi262

the torpedo compartment is complete. moving on to the crew quarters...

W

Willi262

This kit has provided a few more headaches than I was expecting. Not all of the interior went together nearly as crisply as I was hoping. And I got my numbers backwards (part of my injury/disability) and I put 2 of the ladders on in the wrong spots. I was able to fix it before the glue cured, but I'm not impressed with myself all the same. I have finished as far aft as the control room, and am moving on to the aft quarters and soon up, the engine spaces. That part will probably take the longest. I hope to have the majority of it done today (I've heard myself say that before), and the engine rooms by tomorrow. Maybe by as late as this Tuesday, I should have the hull halves buttoned up and the last of the decals applied. But we'll see. Pics to follow...

W

Willi262

The sub is about 75% complete. Not as much work done today as I was hoping, but nearly there.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It sounds like you're having some fun and trouble at the same time with this kit keep at it and looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished sub

W

Willi262

W

Willi262

Thanks Joe! I think I painted more in there than was strictly necessary. I did a test fit of the interior and a lot of those little ceiling lights will be covered by the non visible half of the interior. So will the engine wall details. It's not bad, but it's not great with their spacing throughout. Not only that but the instructions start off being pretty clear, but by the end, they just sort of give up. I just discovered the exhaust pipes don't fit. Instructions show a notch to insert, but there is none on the model. And they simply are not long enough. I will figure out a cheat to fix it with, I'm sure.

Last edited: