UNUSUAL CHIEFTAIN TANK.

R

rememal

This is my interpretation of a one off Chieftain.

Op Crazy Horse was an experimental radio controlled target tank operated by radio and camera feed from a converted Stormer. It had a claimed operating range of 6-10kms. A very small fuel tank was fitted as a precaution against loss of control.

It was driven to the range by a driver sat in the fighting compartment using modified driving controls and a camera put in place of the drivers periscope.

View attachment 78518

View attachment 78519

View attachment 78520

View attachment 78521

View attachment 78522

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've never heard of anyone neutering a tank before ;)

Very unusual build and very well made

P

Polux

Certanly unusual :eek:

Looks very well painted. I like the colour of the tracks too, but are quite difficult to see, you should show some photos :P

Nice one!

Polux

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A great build Malcolm, nicely finished. An unusual tank that is for sure.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think that's really cool and like that a lot, good use of camo and the artistic painting works really well.

Si:smiling3:

R

rememal

Thank you all for the kind words.

Polux, for the tracks I just sprayed Humbrol 29 from a rattle can to give a dirty look to the bottom of the tank without going OTT.

L

lee fuller

Nice model malcom, I actually worked on that vehicle and built it along with some other R & D craftsman and did all the user/evaluation trials too. It appeared on TV in 1989 on "Combat 89". I have some pics and video of it on trials. Brings back great memories. Where did you see it and what made you make a model of it ?

D

Deleted member 3568

Great build and unusual subject, oh and welcome Lee Fuller and why not introduce yourself to everyone.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A nice conversion and a rare subject.

Nice one.

Ian M

R

rememal

Thanks again for the kind words, it makes all the effort worth while.

Lee, I first came across this vehicle on a fb page dedicated to the Chieftain, and as I do British kit and I like `different` it just had to be done.

Also, I like Chieftain. (I`ve repaired enough in my time).

L

lee fuller

Malcom have u seen the S.I.D vehicle based on the chieftain, i built those too, i believe they ran it at Tank Fest