Up armoured Stug

L

Leighbo

Hi all, new project on the table, this time an up armoured Stug. I saw a couple of photos of stug that had wood plank armour applied, one around the running gear and another at the upper sides and decided to give it a go, with a bit of artistic licence! After only building Dragon Stugs previously I decided on an easier Tamiya kit, which as usual was a dream to build. The additions were just built from plastic card, balsa and resin rivets. The stowage is mount on thick card and will be removed for painting 

20160612_173629.jpg

20160612_173704.jpg

20160612_173714.jpg20160612_173723.jpg

20160612_173742.jpg

Onto painting next, thanks for looking 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
love it,Leigh,what a great idea,your planks look very good,well shaped,and grain maked,

very nice with the stowage as well,

will look forward to the next update, :D

L

Leighbo

Thanks Monica. I've tried sealing the grain in by covering with superglue as it usually gets lost once painting starts. We'll see if it works!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Thanks Monica. I've tried sealing the grain in by covering with superglue as it usually gets lost once painting starts. We'll see if it works!

I tend to use washers with balsa,and ruff it up with a wire brush,as i do the lite color first then use a darker wash to bring out the grain,maybe of some help, :D

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

excellent job mate, the stowage looks great, however, try establishing some track sag next time, as tracks were rarely straight on armour

L

Leighbo

Thanks guys, 

Monica I use the same technique with the wire brush but find that when yuo apply paint it loses definition hence sealing with super glue to harden the surface 

Airfix as these are rubber band tracks I will paint off the Stug and apply sag later on

More to come soon!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thanks guys, 

Monica I use the same technique with the wire brush but find that when yuo apply paint it loses definition hence sealing with super glue to harden the surface 

Airfix as these are rubber band tracks I will paint off the Stug and apply sag later on

More to come soon!

good to hear. Anyways, I hate using rubber tracks, so good luck putting sag on them

cheers, John

D

dubster72

Looks like a nice subject, although I wonder how effective the wooden 'armour' proved to be in combat ;)

Getting some sag into rubber band tracks isn't easy, but there is a way. If you apply superglue to each return roller in turn from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock and then apply pressure with your fingers, the track will hold in place. Doing this with each return roller will force the track to bend down between each roller, thus creating sag.

On AFVs like Panzer IIIs & IVs, it does help to do this before adding the fenders.

Cheers

Patrick

L

Leighbo

Thanks a million for the input guys, I was planning on using 2 part epoxy on the rollers and then wedging bits of balsa in to hold the sag whilst it dried. These rubber tracks are actually better than most of have used (good old reliable Tamiya!) And at least I can weather underneath them before installation, something I plan to make the most of!

L

Leighbo

Got some painting done on the Stug last night to post, airbrushed the Stug and started on the plank armour 

20160614_205803.jpg

20160614_205812.jpg20160614_205825.jpg

20160614_210122.jpg20160614_210227.jpg20160614_210251.jpg

That's all for a few days, having a long weekend away so will have to pick this up next week.

Thanks for looking 

J

John Rixon

Looks like a nice subject, although I wonder how effective the wooden 'armour' proved to be in combat ;)

Getting some sag into rubber band tracks isn't easy, but there is a way. If you apply superglue to each return roller in turn from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock and then apply pressure with your fingers, the track will hold in place. Doing this with each return roller will force the track to bend down between each roller, thus creating sag.

On AFVs like Panzer IIIs & IVs, it does help to do this before adding the fenders.

Cheers

Patrick

I'm guessing the principal is that the panzer shriek explodes before making contact with the hull, thus seriously reducing its effectiveness?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real liking the look of this one,very nice with the wood tones do like them,and overall looking very good, :D

L

Leighbo

I got this one finished up today, I got hold of some Vallejo mud and environmental acrylics last week and used these for the mud on this one and was quite impressed with how they look

20160621_102653.jpg

20160621_102658.jpg

20160621_102816.jpg

20160621_102852.jpg

20160621_102915.jpg

20160621_102941.jpg20160621_103007.jpg

20160621_103017.jpg20160621_103033.jpgI thoroughly enjoyed this build, now to the next one!

Thanks for looking 

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build on this one,Leigh,so well done with the wood work on the side,do real like the tones you got,

the extra storage looks good as well,like the grass in the track,just a great build for me very well done, :D

T

tommy1drop

Excellent work and I really like the aged wood effects on the planking, you are instantly drawn to the planking, very effective work and very nicely done.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Lovely work! That timber armour is impressive!

Thanks for sharing! :D