Upgrading the Type 98 main battle tank;Chinese Type 98 - Burmese Type 99 custom

V

virtue66

Hey you guys.... Just wanna share my WIP with you guys .... as the title says ... I am upgrading my trumpeter ZTZ 98 to a custom ZTZ 99 ....

This is the kit that i have right now -

Its not my model... just showing you guys how it looks

the type 98 is a second generation main battle tank (MBT) fielded by the Chinese People's Liberation Army and honestly, i don't really like the way that type 98 look ... what i really like is the Type 99

as you can see, the type 99 is much similar to the type 98 but with added on armours and looks much more better, especially the turrent front armours and the sides....

so, there you go... that's my plan - ( with a little bit of a twist he he )

right.. on with the works... see those brick tiles on that front of the type 99??

that was what i did with the front... i know it looks like crap.. but i still havn't done the final touch .. like putting in the head light and rivets on the tiles..

And you see that little hatch looking thingy?? it was actually embedded into the hull so i raised that up by attaching a plate under neath the hatch and closing the hole in the hull with revell cement type putty ... that was a little bit hard to do as you can see from the pic, the type 98 has those ridges on top of the front hull...

and this is what i did with the gun swivel , as you can see from both pic, the gun swivel has some kind of cloth to prevent dusts and whatever coming in.. but i hate that.. i wanted some like the sun swivel of the Leopard 2 ..

something like this ...

so i decided to fix it... and it come out like this ..

im not really satisfied with it... so will try out something else with pla plates...

and FYI.. Im gonna order some decals from Samuels.. and one or more of these emblems will be applied on the tank, since our country is a somewhat ''closed door'' country.. i maybe need to make up some other decals... would be fun....

I hope I won't get bashed or anything as this will be a make believe, fictional variant based on the ZTZ98 and 99 ....

alright.. that's it for now... stay tuned....

Last edited:
V

virtue66

As you can see from the photos in the first post,, the Type 99 has a much more distinctively angeled front armors on the turret ...

so i SB as best as i could to make it look like the type 99 turret

and if you look at this photo,, you will see a smudge of green putty...

that is because the smoke grenade launchers are there and hindering with the front armor so i removed the launchers and it left some gaping holes so, i used green putty to cover those holes..

just like the type 99, the side of the front armor got to have panel lines so i make new panel lines...

left -

right -

I still need to do some recessed rivets, still hasn't as i am just saying with using a drill to make a dent .. but will do so later on

and if you refer back to the first post, the type 99 has some added-on armors on the sides of the turret, just next to the baskets.. so i put in something similar to it ..

left -

right -

the panel lines are scratched just like those from the type 99 and there are numerous dents at the edge of each tiles..these are recessed (dent) area for the rivets.. .the rivits will come at a later time...

That's it for now, Stay Tuned

First Name
Aaron
Fantastic work Gary, Ill follow along.

I love a good kitbash =)