US M1 Helmet straps

First Name
Andrew
Hi all silly question time in pictures and on model figures there are two straps tucked over the lip of the helmet front and back. I get one chin strap, the light coloured one but whats the brown one for?
1616003639267.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
M1 helmets are actually two helmets in one: a steel outer shell and an inner helmet (or liner) made from pressed fibre material (or, in post-war production in some countries, moulded plastic). The main reason for doing it this way was so that the suspension wouldn’t need to be attached to the steel shell, as that would have necessitated making holes in it that would weaken the helmet and put rivets in that might shear off and injure the wearer. By putting the suspension into a lightweight inner helmet, the shell could be made without these holes, and as an added bonus, troops could wear the lightweight inner helmet outside of front-line areas, for appearance rather than protection.

Anyway, the strap you see at the rear in the photo you posted is the chinstrap for the steel outer shell: it attaches to swivels on the sides of that shell. The strap over the front is the chin strap for the fibre inner helmet, for when only the liner was worn. With the steel shell over the liner, the chin strap would go like in the photo to (sort of) secure the steel shell to the liner.

If you want, I can take some pictures of a real one to show how this all works.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So what does the lightweight inner actually look like when worn? I Don’t recall ever seeing one?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They were painted OD green with a flat textured paint....unpainted on the inside. The standard material of construction was called Micarta. As a side note to what Jakko has already stated, the strap loops on the outer shell of the earliest production did not swivel. They were spot welded to the shell and we're immovable. Hope this helps. Rick H.
P.s. almost forgot to mention......the earlier canvas chin straps were a light OD colour and the later shells had a much darker OD green strap assembly.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So what does the lightweight inner actually look like when worn? I Don’t recall ever seeing one?
You probably have, but never realised it :smiling3: If you can see rivets on the helmet, you’re looking at the liner. This fellow is wearing the liner and holding the shell in his hands:

b39f4e_4fc8a5ed239340c2a0719af1b2d8a9f0~mv2.jpg

As a side note to what Jakko has already stated, the strap loops on the outer shell of the earliest production did not swivel. They were spot welded to the shell and we're immovable.
Oh yeah, that’s right, forgot about that bit. I own a Dutch-production M1 that has swivels (and a plastic liner, rather than fibre).

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
They look as though they were hot to wear!
Thanks for the explanation - if I'd have wondered, I would probably assume that they were like the UK ones, where the liner/padding was fitted with a screw.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There are also two versions of the steel helmet...WW2 and Postwar Vietnam era. The former is deeper and almost round at the top where else the Vietnam era version has a shallower contoured shape.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here are a couple of shots for comparison.......the first is a looking down shot that shows the attach points of the liner to the head and sweat band. The second shows the early and late coloration of the chin strap assemblies. these helmets are actually quite comfortable to wear as they breathe all around and the only personal contact points are the sweat band and crown straps deeper in the assembly. Rick H.P1011709.JPGP1011710.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice photo Jakko......It is a very early shot of the then newly standardized M1 Helmet.....in the same shot there is also visible the fore end and muzzle of the newly adapted M1 Garand (Gas Trap) Rifle..........just saw that one of these sold at auction recently for the sum of 22,000.00 USD. Cheers, Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
these helmets are actually quite comfortable to wear as they breathe all around and the only personal contact points are the sweat band and crown straps deeper in the assembly.
You’ve just made a lot of Brits jealous ;) They had to put up with stuff like this:

-Helmet-Inner_153ba238-07e9-4d20-8e7d-7cc8b6ce0ee5.jpg

I just collect this stuff, I’ve never had to wear them or did any strenuous activity in them, but I already found that the M1’s suspension (or the kevlar PASGT’s, which is almost identical) is not all that secure on your head. I suppose this is where that British design has the edge, though this Dutch helmet sits (IMHO) far better than either:

21fffed947b35361a5d4f540c67d5b49f07a2c08.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm strictly a WW2 collector so have no knowledge of "Modern" head gear........my studies of WW2 headgear is extensive and I do enjoy coming across new and interesting variations of the different equipment used by US, Allied and Axis forces. Rick H.