US WWII Combat Engineer Units

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes Rick, there was just the two ROCO 5/6 ton frames, short wheelbase w/o winch & two saddle tanks and long w/winch & one fuel tank, used for both WWII & post war vehicles.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Buddy......now have a visual on how to accomplish that mod when I get to the build. :thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is an amazing collection you have there Paul, and going back to the seventies. Again, amazing.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I guess the build photos for the QuickCrane crane & shovel Corbit/White/Brockways are lost, as I've been through 2010 to present backups w/no joy, so here are some current pics. of them w/assoc. equipment trailers. Crane w/boom extension, wrecking ball, clamshell, & dragline accys. Shovel w/piledriver (for Dora bridge piles) accys.
100_3148.JPG
100_3149.JPG
100_3150.JPG
100_3151.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for posting those Paul........much clearer than your postings of early 2016 on that "unmentionable" other site. I'm also interested in what material you used for the cable rigging on the booms. The "grill work" on the shovel looks unfamiliar, could you elaborate on that as well?

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice models Paul, I haven't yet seen those type of cranes before :thumb2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Rick, waxed thread supplied worked well. Like the amphip. transporter, the grills had been trimmed by another.
Steven, they are ROCO 6x6x6 trucks with equipment from self powered vehicles supplied w/Pola buildings under demo., so they have operator positions on the wrong side from actual WWII US Army QuickCranes.
I thought some might like to see the M2 Treadway pontoon bridge deployed. It's over 190' including the entry & exit ramps.
100_3155.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's Awesome.....now you just need to find the right spot on that Moselle River Dio.to put your Engineers to work.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Arnaville would be the place as both 1103E M2 Treadway (both as rafts & bridge) & Footbridge were used. This choice would also utilize elements of 449AAA D Battery, 2nd Chem. elements (smoke gen. & 4.2" mortar), 735Med. Tank Co. C, 818TD Co.C, & 2nd Bat. of 11thID. I could also avoid modeling the village by stopping at the east bank.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, the Moselle River is pretty wide there......might need more bridge work. ;) Regarding the Quick Crane and Shovel, I have the same sources for the shovel and crane and did notice the location differences for the operator's controls........I might have a study on that to see if I can remedy the problem....do you have a good source of actual photos or prints of either or both?

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Actually the bridges across the canal creek & lock were pretty short, two at 30' & one at 40'. The only ones completed by the time the bridgehead was established as the ford upstream got armor across & the long pontoon & ponton bridges were under observed arty. thus weren't completed till that was suppressed. I could get away w/just the short ones & show equipment marshalled awaiting lulls in the arty. to continue.
I used 'Six Ton Trucks' by David Doyle and 'Allied-Axis: A photo history of WWII' volumes 9, 23 & 33 by Ampersand Press as my references.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the ref info........OK......I read somewhere that it was like a hundred yards or so across the Moselle at or near Arnaville and or Metz so was just wondering out loud:thinking:;)

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Correct, those two long ones were over well over 200', also when they blew the dam upstream to lower the river so they could use the ford, it got narrower too.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick, I had forgotten to improve them. Here they are w/improved grills & proper headlamps. You'll notice I removed the springs from the original cabs/frames so the booms can relax w/o tension. Sorry about the 1st cuppa shakes.
100_3156.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul E. , I think I'm gonna start gathering pieces parts to do the shovel at some point in the not too distant future. Got a coupla other things in front of it but should get to it by years end hopefully.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Just been sitting back and watching the magic happen here Paul. A mahoosive collection of Engineers and equipment Sir!!! Can't really comment too much as they're so small, I can't see half of 'em, but you always do a great job on your projects. I hope you and yours are well in downtown Ohio and there are no dings on the L6 yet....

Also, never take pics till after the second cuppa Brother..........

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I just found out Fine Scale Modeler Magazine still uses my Quarry dio in its' advertising.
Thanks Paul, Steve, & Allen. This is likely their third iteration.
Rick chk out SmallScaleHobbies for ArsenalM's offering of 6x6x6 Brockway crane truck.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Seen it Paul and Thanks for the info........

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No dings yet Allen. Just for grins I turned off the traction control for my normal exit from the shop Wed. Much sturm und drang. Very pumped. Internal butterflies big time. Like launching the old B Modified back in the day.