Uschi van der Rosten Rigging Sizes

S

Si S

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm after something to rig the ongoing plane with that will come in handy for other stuff in the future. The sizes of this are listed as 0.03, 0.02 and 0.01mm, given that the average width of a European human hair is 0.07mm, is the heaviest gauge really less than half the width of a human hair?

Now EZ line, which seems quite difficult to get in the UK has gauges of 0.5 and 0.25mm.

I have a suspicion that someone has stuffed up the conversion of the Uschi stuff and it's actually 0.03 inches, this would make the gauges, 0.75mm, 0.5mm and 0.25mm which seems far more sensible, after all if you used the heaviest gauge on the published figure (0.03 mm) on 1/32 scale that'd mean the wire/cable you're trying to represent would be less than 1mm thick on 1:1, doesn't seem right to me. Additionally the limit of human sight without magnification is somewhere between 0.006mm and 0.03mm depending on the individual, so if the numbers are right the Uchi stuff would be invisible to a lot of folk.

Thoughts from the panel please.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I have used both the EZ Line and the Ushi stuff. I also question the Ushi sizes although it is very fine. My suggestion would be to use what looks right and not be too hung up with accurate scaling. The EZ Line is actually like a flat ribbon. Also bear in mind that the more you stretch it the thinner it gets. Both products are great to use. I have rigged a 1/48 biplane and a 1/700 ship and I'm happy with the results.
Hopefully one of the aeroplane builders on the forum will come in with more info.
Jim

S

Si S

Thanks Jim, I'm not too bothered about the scale, since I intend to use it on 1/32 and whatever Santa brings (apparently maritime 1/225 scale which gives away my wife's surprise but don't tell her that) the scale will be slightly wrong on something, it's more about the line fitting the 0.3mm holes nicely since I'm concerned about drilling too much material out of the struts and it being suitable for future builds.

It's tricky when you can't see the stuff in the flesh, I didn't know the EZ line was flat, that gives me food for thought, since it'll preclude mixing Uschi and EZ on the same model and I think I'm going to need a rope and a black colour in the future.

Anyone know of anywhere that's got fine gauge black EZ line in stock in the UK? Shipping from the states is a fortune.