Using Alclad chrome

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have just brought myself a bottle Acrylic Alclad chrome and I need help in getting the best out of it ie: what under coat is the best and any other advice I will be spraying on plastic any help would be most appreciated.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Alclads Gloss Black undercoat seems to work best. But I've read that any gloss black base will work. The smoother the better.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree ref gloss black base. Like all metallic paint, any flaws will be magnified so give it your top drawer preparation. Also go lightly with the top coat over the black undercoat. There is a sweet spot between just enough paint and too much. Over painting will dull the finish.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A perfect base is needed, no flaws, no dust, no hairs, as the Alclad seems to magnify any faults. I would strongly advise you use a good mask - and spray out of doors, or in a non-domestic room, as the stuff really stinks & lingers in the air!
Dave

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
You can polish the base with a micro abrasive cloth or polishing compound as well. As I mentioned elsewhere alclad gives great results but there is a bit of work involved in the prep.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
The problem with me I can't seem to get a good gloss coat as it always seems dry slightly before hitting the target I am using tamiya paints.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Try a mist coat or 2 before a "wet" coat. You don't want the wet coat so thin it can't level off.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been using Alclad since it first appeared and have made just about every boo-boo possible before becoming confident of a good result every time. I've used four different Alclads today, though none were a highly polished finish (aluminium, matt aluminium, steel and burnt iron).

For any of the highly polished finishes I would either use Alclad's own base coat or an enamel gloss black. I have used the latter under polished aluminium with good results. As Tim said, be careful not to overdo it, just mist it on.

Here is the truly appalling old Monogram DC 3, resplendent in a gloss black, I think it's probably Humbrol.

black_web_2.jpg

And with a polished aluminium finish, knocked back slightly with a varnish.

IMG_5159_small.jpg

Like any metal finish, it's 90% in the prep, if you b*gger that up it won't matter what you do with the Alclad. Trust me, I've learnt the hard way :smiling3:

Last edited:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I like to use Humbrol gloss black since it can be brushed on and dries very smooth with a high gloss. Alclad works really well over it.

John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I use Humbrol gloss black as well. Works every time.