Using an airbrush without being near ventilation?

First Name
Alex
Hi guys

I will one of these days be moving on to airbrushing, but I would like to buy a pro one so I get the best result and experience.

My problem is my work area isn't set up close to a window, and the closest window has a massive wall unit infront of it, so I was wondering is it possible to use an extractor fan with a filter that is replaceable?

Eventually Im going to have my own shed but that's a long way away yet.

J

Jens Andrée

I just built a box with an extractor fan mounted on the back and put a cartridge filter (a dust filter for wood dust) in front of the outlet to the fan and Bob's your uncle!
Obviously it's best to funnel out the air from the fan through a window to remove any enamel/thinner smells, but you have to start somewhere...

Due to being bedridden for long periods after an accident I even use this contraption whilst spray painting in bed, but this more or less require no wife/girlfriend because they have really odd views on creativity... :D

There are commercial smaller spray booths to buy I guess but I'm more of a DIY kind of guy and I doubt they're much better than mine anyway.
It can even be made out of a cardboard box and thus be replaceable when too messy!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You might be better off using a charcoal filter from a cooker hood.

J

John Rixon

Kind of depends upon what you are spraying, the more harmful the solvent, the more specific you need to be about keeping it out of your lungs! Whatever happened to data sheets? So, if your spraying water based acrylics, a home made affair will most likely be fine, if you're using solvent based paints, you'll need to make sure both fumes and particulates are stopped.

M

m1ks

Due to being bedridden for long periods after an accident I even use this contraption whilst spray painting in bed, but this more or less require no wife/girlfriend because they have really odd views on creativity... :D

Ha, I thought I had some lazy methods when it came to modelling but that's great, I reckon I could fit a spare bed in the room where I model, :smiling3:

A lot does depend on the paint, Enamel thinner and cellulose thinner fumes are unpleasant and not great, My filter has a particulate filter and a charcoal filter behind it and isn't vented to a window, (though it can be), I've sprayed with Enamels a lot and cellulose frequently and there's little to no odour, however after a session with those, I crack open the window and leave the room to air out for half an hour.

J

Jens Andrée

I actually built my portable spray booth because I was using the airbrush in bed, with Tamiya acrylics thinned with cellulose thinner. I remember going for a pee after a long-ish paint session and when I came back I almost had to grab my wheelchair (that I'm no longer having to use!) because the fumes were really bad - and stinky... I built the spray box/booth afterwards.

Now I've got an extractor, and have replaced the thinner with isopropanol, and it's almost so you don't notice it. A woman would notice it, and complain, of course, but when you've been stuck in bed for more or less 8 years on and off you have to become creative. I also used to solder complex smd circuits in bed. If I hadn't been creative those years ago I wouldn't be here today.

If you can have a different dedicated spray area other than the bed I think it is to prefer, even though it (kinda) works for me... ;)

First Name
Alex
Well @Jens Andrée i'm sorry to hear you were bed ridden but glad to hear you no longer need your wheelchair. @John Rixon it might be wise for me to start airbrushing with acrylics since most of my paints are acrylic. I reckon i could knock up a spray booth, i mean it's just some panels and a fan really

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You can get a spray booth that filters the particulates. I had one until recently and it works well for paints for which particulates are the problem rather than smell. Paints such as Vallejo Model Air and AKI acrylics are good for that and I would recommend these for an enclosed 'family space'. Avoid enamels and solvent based paints as they will stink the place out with no extractor.

This is the unit I used (actually a double one, this can be extended) it workds well with the water based acrylics.
https://www.everythingairbrush.com/.../aircom-extraction-unit-basic-module-38w.html

A

Awins

Another very serious issue to consider when building your own is the type of fan.
If you are using flammable paints, laquers, solvents etc there is a serious risk of explosion due to sparks within the fan.

I think you will need a brushless type but obviously research this first.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I build in my garage, and when I do spraying, I just open up the rear and front garages and the wind blows everything out....
Natural air extractor. It's free as well

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if you are using waterbased acylics like vallejo then you dont need the same sort of extraction

i once built my own spray booth.....big plastic storage tub on its side, a couple of cheap computer fans and a vent hose for a tumble dryer....sat on the window sill in the spare room, every time i wanted to use it the hose went out the window, worked a treat

then we moved to another apartment that was a bit of a strange shape, the spare room was smaller and i just couldnt work out where to put the spray booth, but it had this really weird walk in storage cupboard.....only about 4 foot wide but 12 feet long....really weird,....as we knew we wernt going to staying there for more than 18 months we decided to use it as storage for stuff we knew we woudlnt need til we did move again.....just piled in the cardboard boxes......i ended up putting the spray box at a convienient height at the front and the box immediatly behind was a banana box (got loads for free from Morrisons to move with).....i blocked the holes with card board and fed the tumble dryer hose into it.......i honestly thought i would have all sorts of pressure problems but none what so ever.......18 months later when i dismantled it i was surprised to find a ring of multi coloured paint on the back of the box and some on the base in front of the tube but not as heavy as i thought it would be..........seems acrylic paint dries VERY quickly when in air

M

MarshMan

Whoops, I think I might have made a mistake! I’m just about to start airbrushing for the first time, and ordered all the colours suggested by Eduard (SE5a) and now realise that they’re solvent based (MrColor) and smelly! It didn’t occur to me that I’d need a mask and spray booth! For some reason I thought acrylics were water based. Having now spent a lot of money on paint, I’m going to have to re-think the whole thing. I think the first thing I’ll do is have a good cry
Max

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Max.
Cheer up mate.
I'm sure we all made mistakes when we returned to or started modelling, so don't get disheartened.

You would need a mask any way when spraying and a booth even with pure acrylics like Vallejo.
How many paints have you bought ? I'd contact the supplier about it, see if they would change them for them some " cleaner " acrylics. You might even get a spray booth from them at the same time, so it could be worthwhile for them.
Don't give up! .
John.

M

MarshMan

Max.
Cheer up mate.
I'm sure we all made mistakes when we returned to or started modelling, so don't get disheartened.

You would need a mask any way when spraying and a booth even with pure acrylics like Vallejo.
How many paints have you bought ? I'd contact the supplier about it, see if they would change them for them some " cleaner " acrylics. You might even get a spray booth from them at the same time, so it could be worthwhile for them.
Don't give up! .
John.
Thanks for the leg up John! At least I’ve already got a good quality mask, and it shouldn’t be the end of the world to sort out a booth. I’d bought ten Mr Colors and three Gunze metallics. I’ll probably go ahead and use them, but I have to admit that painting with a full face mask on is certainly gonna take the enjoyment out of it.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey Max, just check on the labels if they're Lacquer or Aqueous...Mr. Color and Gunze have both I think.

Cheers,
Richard

M

MarshMan

Hey Max, just check on the labels if they're Lacquer or Aqueous...Mr. Color and Gunze have both I think.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard
They’re solvent based which I think equates to lacquer? At least this is what all the ‘standard’ colours are, but I’m not sure about what the Mr Metal metallics are?
Max

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
They’re solvent based which I think equates to lacquer? At least this is what all the ‘standard’ colours are, but I’m not sure about what the Mr Metal metallics are?
Max

No worries Max as Mr. Aqueous paints seem to work with solvents as well for me. The Mr Lacquer paints are my favourite for planes as they spray smooth and thin. They last for ages as the hardened paint can be regurgitated to life by adding a few drops of their thinners or solvents and letting it soften in the bottle. They have a very wide range and colour codes are mostly quoted on instruction manuals.

Cheers,
Richard

M

MarshMan

Hi Richard
I think you might have misunderstood my dilemma mate, which is the solvents and the problems they cause. It looks as though I’m going to have to buy an equivalent set of Vallejo colours. This whole airbrushing problem is proving to be a bit of a pain. The trouble with YouTube videos is they don’t show you the smell!! I’m going to have to give the whole painting business a rethink.

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oooh I see your problem now. Unfortunately for me airbrushing good results come with solvent based paints. Even Tamiya although called acrylic aren't exactly acrylics needing Isopropyl alcohol for best results.

Acrylics being water based do not dissolve entirely and after a while will settle to the bottom, that's why there is always a consistant clogging so an occasional blow back or stirring is needed to revive the smooth flow.

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: you might find this wierd but I find Lacquer solvents like thinner from Mr. Hobby nicer smelling than Turpentine...just like I miss the old wiff of Airix tube glue in the air. I must be an addict. :tongue-out3:

I hope you find a solution to your painting needs, Max. Best possiblity a well ventilated room or an open veranda or porch.

Cheers,
Richard