Using filler/putty for first time

A

AusA380

I've never used filler/putty before and was just wanting some tips on using it. If there is a gap between two pieces, do I glue the pieces then fill with putty and sand it, then paint the part? Any tips would be handy.

L

Laurie

Hi "Aus".

Whole can of beans there. You have the order correct. A lot depends on what size of gap you have.

I it is a largeish gap then the best thing I have found is to cut card to the thickness of the joint and then using poly cement or Tamiya extra thin fix the card in place. All this will weld together and make a strong joint which providing it is done well will not crack open.

I then after trimming the card just fractionally below the surface use Mr Surfacer 500 to fill the remaing joint. It will probably need a number of applications using a stiffish brush to spread it on. I use tape either side to limit the spread. Each coat takes roughly 30mins to enable another coat. When cured 24hours is a good time you can either wet and dry or use IPA or both to flatten out. May need to make good a few bits just to finish. Good thing about Mr Surfacer is that it is about the same hardness as the plastic plus it does not flake away at the very fine edge. Found it not good on a paint finish , acrylics, as I soften the paint.

For small areas which need filling which are not likely to open up I use Vallejo Putty which is a creamy tooth paste consistency. Smooth with a wet finger. Smooth with IPA when dry or wet and dry. Makes a good smooth finish. Warning do not use IPA on an acrylic paint finish as it is a good paint remover. Vallejo putty is ok on acrylic paints.

Laurie

A

AusA380

How would I go about fixing these gaps? The instructions say glue the side pieces to the bulkheads, then paint and glue the seat/steering wheel etc in, then glue the top part on surrounding the cockpit. I cant paint and apply putty like this then fit the seat and everything in because the top part with the gaps is the last bit to be put on here. Would it be best to paint these in primer, complete the seat assembly and fit it, then mask the inside and fill the gaps here then paint the sides and top?

View attachment 109920

View attachment 109921

View attachment 109922

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.JPG

Untitled 3.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hard to see what the heck that actually is from the photos. Maybe if we can see what it is you are building we can offer some better advice.

However, from what I deduce from the mystery, is a tub of some sort and obviously there are things that go into the tub to create a cockpit, and then that top part creates a cockpit surround. It is the surround that you need to fill yes? If so, paint the interior, glue your bits in, and then fit/fill the top piece as required. I doubt you'd see any filler poking out from under that ring thing. If you do, it would be a matter of running a thin brush around the inside edge to cover it up.

Sorry I can't offer any other advice given the limited information.

L

Laurie

Well to begin with it is best to study the instructions but not in a "parrot" fashion". I doubt that many here follow the instructions in the order they are sectioned into or within each section.

You have to think ahead. Can I do that after I have finished this section ie in an aircraft the cockpit area is more or less finished before starting on the outside. Plus even in the cockpit it is easier to finish off some parts before putting the rest of the cockpit together.

I always think before going further can I get in there to paint or attach decals before I assemble this or the other. Sometimes you will have to mask with tape finished areas to prevent paint getting into and spoiling finished work..

Good idea to dry fit which gives a good idea of what you are doing how far can I go before I paint etc. Can I leave that or this off until later as it will make it easier to construct. If possible leave off all the little bits and pieces which can get knocked off easily until the last possible moment.

Take one model and give it to 10 model makers and they will all have their own agendeer on how to go about it. It is a matter of finding the way that work s for you. Just use the instruction sheets as a guide not a bible.

Hope that goes a little way to your problem. And best of luck. :smiling3: Just come back on any difficulties.

Laurie

PS if you go into Profile you can add your first name ;)

A

AusA380

Also how would I go about sanding the putty without damaging the rivets and details?

L

Laurie

There should not be an rivets near things which need filling, on average. But use tape over the rivets and a thinny sanding stick. You can get them which are only 3mm wide. Or fill and use IPA to smooth as best you can. On aircraft with the panel lines it s necessary some times to re scribe the line where they have been filled.

I have made some thin sanders using wete and dry paper stuck to a thn piece of metal. Also sprue can be fashioned and wet and dry stuck to it.

It is one of the skills which I found with experience you get to find the ways which suit you and the materials you use. Some use materials which I do not find suit me and vice versa some would not use my choice.

Just to add before painting it is best, essential in my book, to prime all parts before applying finishing coats. It renders all the filling which on average is a different colour to the plastic neutral other wise it will stare at you through the top coat.

Laurie