Using oil washes

D

dubster72

It could be me, but I can't really see much there! Its not coming through in the photo's Alan is what I mean.

P

Polux

Looks very well to me.

You thinned with white spirit?

The best advantage of the oil washes is you can play with them...explain, you did a "normal" brown wash, but if you want can add, now, some dark brown wash (only on the most darkness places) and then, with a clean brush difuminate all the wash effect! The final result is a very nice and showy wash :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Looks very well to me.You thinned with white spirit?

The best advantage of the oil washes is you can play with them...explain, you did a "normal" brown wash, but if you want can add, now, some dark brown wash (only on the most darkness places) and then, with a clean brush difuminate all the wash effect! The final result is a very nice and showy wash :smiling3:
That's the method I'm trying to use mate , I put a line in crease and then push in with a dry brush , this is my first attempt but I think I'm making work for myself as it's a small kit but I pleased with the effect of the blend but it maybe it looks out of scale on this so it might need a bit of a dry dab of the original colour

P

Polux

Just remember the dry time on the oil colours is much longer...so you have to wait some time to add the second wash over. You will work much better then!!

On the acrylic and enamels is different ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Just remember the dry time on the oil colours is much longer...so you have to wait some time to add the second wash over. You will work much better then!!On the acrylic and enamels is different ;)
Yes I know mate I've put a wash on some faces this morning and it's just as wet now , I'll leave this until tomorrow and carry on then.

What's the best mix for skin tone ?

P

Polux

I use a red one (not a red passion :smiling3: ) and just add some brown drops. The mix must be very thinned for a soft effect, so you can add one or more washes over the first one.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I use a red one (not a red passion :smiling3: ) and just add some brown drops. The mix must be very thinned for a soft effect, so you can add one or more washes over the first one.
Thanks mate I'll give it a try :smiling3:

P

Polux

Better paint a plastic piece with the skin colour before, and then add the wash!! Until you find the correct one!!

D

dubster72

I can see a bit more of it in the 2nd photos Alan. What I'm wondering is the model doesn't look very shiny, so I'm thinking you didn't apply a gloss coat?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Better paint a plastic piece with the skin colour before, and then add the wash!! Until you find the correct one!!
I've been painting the face white then adding the wash then I will add the flesh as a highlight , I had a go the other night and it comes out looking good :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I can see a bit more of it in the 2nd photos Alan. What I'm wondering is the model doesn't look very shiny, so I'm thinking you didn't apply a gloss coat?
No mate just the matt acrylic then the wash and sort of push it into the crease so it looks dark in the crease but sort of feathers out thinner so it looks like it's blending ,

As the kit is small and the pics are close up it doesn't give it just but if you look at it from a couple of feet it looks ok , not perfect but it's a good start , I can't do it too dark as it wouldn't be in scale due to size of it

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I can pickup were the wash has gone on, and looks fine to me, and remember that it dose take a few go,s with

diffidence shades , as how Polux said is the same way i tend to do but I start with a light wash and that lets me

see were i do need ,the wash to be, and its easy to darken than lighten ,but thats just me

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well I haven't had much success with this little armoured car so turned my attention to an old build

This is what I did the first time

Oh well I tried to edit it and it still didn't work looks like it's going to have to be the laptop from now on

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
this is my panzer 2 I built a few months back , ive tried a fading effect with the oils its a little dark so ill just put a bit a dry dabbing of paint to bring the lighter colour through but im pretty pleased with it

give us your thoughts View attachment 88980

View attachment 88981

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers chaps I thought this could only be done with an airbrush and this was the only reason I was going to get an AB but now I'm not going to bother with AB as I can produce the look I want with the hairy stick :smiling3:

Still can't do faces though lol