Using old decals

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have returned to model making after a long break, and will be working through my stock of old kits. The plastic will be OK, and I can easily replace any dried up paint or glue, but I'm a bit concerned about the old decals; it would be annoying if any of them broke up, crumbled, tore, etc when I came to use them

Yes, I know I could use new aftermarket decals, and I will be doing that for some old kits that didn't have a very good sheet in the first place, but many of the kits have reasonable finishes & decal sheets and I would like to use them. Besides, it would be quite expensive to buy a complete new load of sheets for all my unmade kits

What would be annoying is to get to the decal stage of a nearly finished & painted model only to have the decals fail

I'd thought of testing before starting the kit on something like a roundel, which could be easily replaced by something from a general sheet.

Is there anything I could do to reinforce the printing, like painting with Kleer or varnish?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
quick spray over with an acrylic varnish, cut carefully round the decal......give it a go, worked for me in the past but dont blame me if it all goes a bit Pete Tong

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can also buy a decal saver solution micro scale make some and John sells it in the shop. The green banner at the top of the page. Please support the shop as he is the guy that pays for the forum.

Should you try the varnish trick first, don't make them to wet when you spray them. You know why...

R

Richy C

before you use the advice from the guys above , If the white bits on the decal sheets have yellowed - tape the decal sheet ( decal side on the glass ) to a window which gets most sun light for a week or so - the decals that were yellow will now be white or an off white again

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
If the white bits on the decal sheets have yellowed - tape the decal sheet ( decal side on the glass ) to a window which gets most sun light for a week or so - the decals that were yellow will now be white or an off white again
And for goodness sake put the decal sheet in a sealed plastic bag prior to doing this. Windows attract condensation and experience big changes in temperatures.