Using other brush needles

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

Seen a few comments about having a smaller needle for a airbrush

Looks like a quite expensive option with not just the needle being replaced. I assume you have 2 brushes and is it worthwhile??

Both mine have a . 35 standard needle

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bob. I have just the one brush. It came with the standard 0.4mm needle. So i bought a 0.2mm conversion kit from John. I can change between them within 5 mins

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will have a look in his shop.

Thanks Al, much snow yet!@

Cannot see a Iwata kit, bugger

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I bought mine from John years ago. Shoot John a PM and see if he can get you one.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will do Al. How does the nozzle fit in a H an S? The Iwata is a push fit, but on the one i have just repaired pliers had to be used so can see it being damaged after a few swops

Thinking of changing my one brush to 0.2mm and leave the other at 0.35mm??

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If i had two brushes then i would defo have one at 0.4mm and the other at 0.2mm. Or i'd buy the H&S lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sounds like a plan Al, just emailed the very helpful tech at the airbrush company

D

Deleted member 7181

How does the nozzle fit in a H an S?
Easily, lol

When I the swap needle & nozzle on mine it takes longer to get them out of their case in the drawer than change the parts. Once the parts are laid out it's maybe 30 seconds taking it steady, 10-15 if you are in a rush. Everything just unscrews with fingers, no tools needed.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Iwata is a push fit nozzle, so afraid of causing damage after time. The nozzle in the damaged one had to be removed with pliers so do not think its designed for regular removing?

D

Deleted member 7181

Not sure about that Bob as I haven't got an Iwata brush. Would seem strange for them though, for it to be hard to remove I mean, since it's something you'd probably do regularly for thorough cleaning. Is there any crud built up where it fits causing it to be sticky?

With a H&S the nozzle slips inside the air cap and the assembly screws on in one piece.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
My Iwata has a screw fit nozzle. It comes with a special little spanner. It is quite a delicate set up so care is needed to prevent damage or a crossed thread. The H&S nozzle is held in by the screw in nozzle cap which screws/unscrews with your fingers.
Hope you get things sorted.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks All

The very good tech says iwata do not do a 0.2 only 0.5. Had a look at the parts list and yes its true

Cannot see the sense in buying another brush to get a 0.2, as i have 2 Iwatas

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thanks All

The very good tech says iwata do not do a 0.2 only 0.5.

Do you know something Bob you are totally correct. I always thought my brush set up was a 0.4mm/0.2mm. But checking the reference numbers on the item boxes i have they are indeed 0.5mm/0.3mm.

Learn something new every day.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The tech said he cannot see much use for 0.2, only for inks etc and they can block easirly

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well the 0.3mm set up i use is perfect for Luftwaffe mottling. Just thinking of investing in a digital pressure gauge so i can accurately set up my spraying airflow

D

Deleted member 7181

I used my new 0.5 trigger airbrush last night

qV4XGdS.jpg

Left a lovely finish though! :smiling5:

I think I might agree with that tech Bob and stick with the bigger nozzles. As long as I can keep my trigger finger under control I can't really see the disadvantages for what I/We do. It's not like we're trying to paint sub millimetre lines very often or at all.