Using Stynlrez

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening will shortly be using Stynlrez primer for the first time, read some positive comments and i know a few of you use it,now some questions if poss??

Does it need to be thinned, if so with what and ratio

How do you clean the airbrush

Ta very much

Bob

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It says to spray from the bottle at fairly high pressure. I love it and dilute it slightly and lower the pressure. Just my way and I'm happy with the result I get.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It says to spray from the bottle at fairly high pressure. I love it and dilute it slightly and lower the pressure. Just my way and I'm happy with the result I get.
Jim
Thanks Jim, dilute with what Jim

D

Deleted member 5496

They say on the instructions a 0.5 needle nozzle. But I use a 0.4. Never ever had to thin. It looks thick when poured into the cup but it will airbrush perfectly.

I use an H & S airbrush & as it is so easy I break it down & clean 4 minutes.

Think that if you are using a less than 0.4 needle nozzle you may have to thin.

Here are Badgers instructions. May say that after 2 hours I sand & works well.

Badger Stynylrez Primer Application Instructions

STYNYLREZ Application instruction:

• No thinning necessary.

• Shake well before using.

• Best applied with a .5mm or larger nozzle airbrush at 20-30 psi (1.5-2 bar).

• Pour the desired amount of STYNYLREZ primer into the airbrush color reservoir.

• If using a bottom feed airbrush, attach jar containing STYNYLREZ to the airbrush. Holding the airbrush 4”-6” (10-15cm) from the item you are priming, apply STYNYLREZ in even coats over the entire surface of the item.

• Apply in light coats, building the primer up until the entire surface of the item is covered and the items actual color is hidden.

• Check all areas and shoot any light areas or any areas where the items actual color is still detectible.

• Let dry 5 to 8 minutes (3 minutes if dried with an artificial heat source).

• Your item is now primed and ready for painting. Allow 24 hours for full cure.

• Clean your airbrush by immediately spraying MODELflex airbrush cleaner through it or your preferred Airbrush cleaner.
Laurie

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm the same as Laurie but use 0.5 needle.

I have recently been speaking to Tim about lumpy paint. Its been about two years since I last used my bottle of STYNYLREZ primer and found that it had lumps in it. I have also found this in some of my Vallejo paints. I suppose its the joys of storing acrylics in a room in a house that experiences temperature variations over a period of years.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
All good advice above bob , one thing i might add is that its VERY important to clean the airbrush straight away after using , even if left for five minutes ive found that it starts to dry in the airbrush and can cause problems later with clogging etc .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
No thinning needed Bob, but a fairly high pressure - 20-25 psi - on your A/B. As Tony says, the quicker you clean your A/B after use the better, but I find that IPA will clean even dried paint.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks All, rubber chq's in post ( long way round ) ! My new trigger Iwata has a 3.5 needle, not sure if you change needle sizes, one to look into.

Using it for the first time in the morning, heater in garage on first.

I have moved all my paint into the house, so hopefully it will be ok

I always flush the brush with water first after vallejo etc, can i do the same or straight away with my media cleaner??

Sorry to be pain

Much apprecited

D

Deleted member 5496

Bob I use water for the first two cups to clean. Take needle out clean & then flush with airbrush cleaner replace needle.

Laurie

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Bob

Can't comment on Stynlrez but saw a YouTube clip where someone demonstrated using warm water to clean Vallejo paints from the cup.

As daft as it sounds I'd only used cold water.....perhaps that was me just not thinking things through. So I tried it the next time I had the airbrush out and the results were amazing. It made it clean up process so much easier. It might make cleaning out the Stynlrez easier.

Just a thought and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs....

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm the same as Laurie but use 0.5 needle.

I have recently been speaking to Tim about lumpy paint. Its been about two years since I last used my bottle of STYNYLREZ primer and found that it had lumps in it. I have also found this in some of my Vallejo paints. I suppose its the joys of storing acrylics in a room in a house that experiences temperature variations over a period of years.
Steve, have exactly the same problem with Vallejo white. Decanted into a shot glass to dip some seagrass in and out of the bottle came a great load of gunk.
Mentioned this to Andrew adt70hk in a pm were having on paints and additives.

D

Deleted member 5496

Bob

Can't comment on Stynlrez but saw a YouTube clip where someone demonstrated using warm water to clean Vallejo paints from the cup.

As daft as it sounds I'd only used cold water.....perhaps that was me just not thinking things through. So I tried it that next time I had the airbrush out and the results were amazing. It made it clean up process so much easier. It might make cleaning out the Stynlrez easier.

Just a thought and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs....

ATB.

Andrew
Hey that sounds a good Andrew must try it.

Laurie

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hey that sounds a good Andrew must try it.

Laurie
Hi Laurie

It sounds blindingly obvious when you think about it but it really has revolutionised by AB cleaning routine. I'll send you the link to the clip when I have a minute.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
How hot is warm Andrew? Did a lot of cleaning development work in my professional days and found anything over about 70 degC counterproductive as it speeds drying and bakes things on. At this temperature and above cleaning was like trying to redissolve boiled eggs......
About 60 degC was the optimum we found.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
How hot is warm Andrew? Did a lot of cleaning development work in my professional days and found anything over about 70 degC counterproductive as it speeds drying and bakes things on. At this temperature and above cleaning was like trying to redissolve boiled eggs......
About 60 degC was the optimum we found.
Hi Tim

He doesn't say in the clip but my boiler hot water temperature is set at 50 degrees C. Which is on the warm side for washing hands.

I knew from my early days of DIY experience that using hot water to clean brushes could actually cause the emulsion paint to set on the brush as you say and so I deliberately don't use it as hot as it can be out of the tap for that very reason. At a guess 30-40ish degrees C....

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andrew. No probs, I just thought I’d better point it out because it can seem intuitive that if warm is good then hotter is better, and it isn’t!