Using Stynlrez

D

Deleted member 5496

Whan I get paint on my hand holding bits when airbrushing (use plastic gloves normally but 82 ia forget year) I use water at hand temp. & the paint just disolves. Tamiya mostly.

Don't you just love all these ideas. This morning (sorry digressing) chap has invented a fridge for vaccines which keeps the temerature at the optimum.

Think it was 10 days with out electricity. Superb idea for Afrika & such like. Uses frozen ice & water which forms a cycle keeping the temperature. Now markete with the help of Bill Gates with many hundreds produced so far. British ingenuity USA lolly. Now experimenting with domestic fridges the same technologhy.

Laurie

Unbelievable ice is frozen.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok Bob....hijack in progress.......

Using warm water to clear an AB......at least where water based paints are concerned e.g. Vallejo and the like.

Earlier this year I stumbled across a YouTube channel of one of our American cousins, who goes by the moniker of "Barbatos Rex".

He's not into armour, more like gundam, cars etc. and I've never yet seen anything he's built, so don't know actually how 'good' he is. I'm also not sure I agree with everything he says either - and even disagree with a few things. Plus there are some products he's not come across before and it's clear he's not sure how to use them.

All his posts are demos of paints, technique, processes etc. and he does a lot of testing different paints, tools etc. - so every once in a while you come across something of use. As an example, he's recently done an hour long special testing 20 different brands of sprue cutters.....:surprised:

In early January he did a short vid (below) on his 'secret' for cleaning Vallejo paints very easily, which piqued my interest and so I watched it. :thinking:

Previously I'd always cleaned my AB using cold water - nobody had told me any different. His big 'secret' was to use warm water - that's it! Warm water and nothing more fancy than that.....:surprised:

As I said in an earlier reply to Tim, he doesn't say how hot the water is in the clip but my boiler hot water temperature is set at 55 degrees C, which is on the warmish side for washing hands.

I knew from my early days of DIY experience that using hot water to clean brushes could actually cause the emulsion paint to set on the brush. Therefore, I deliberately don't use it as hot as it can be out of the tap for that very reason. At a guess 40ish degrees C....

Using warm water sounds blindingly obvious, so I gave it a go and my word what difference!! If you're not doing it already, give it a go. It really has revolutionised my AB cleaning experience and made it sooooo much easier, quicker and above all more thorough....

Anyway, apologies again if I'm telling you nothing new but thought it might help.

All the best and here endeth the hijack of Bob's thread.

Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

Tried it with Tamiya. Got to do it immediatley as otherwise the paint just hugs the metal cup. How do I know that :disappointed:

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Getting old or older

Totally forgot one major question

Can you use laquer on top of Stynrez ???