Using the correct filler

K

Keithmayes

I have picked up my Space Shuttle again after a few weeks off from modelling and need some advice. There is a distinct gap where the wing joins the fuselage and I am not sure what to fill it with. So far I have only had small dents and gaps to fill that were no problem for Mr. Surfacer but this is too big for that.

Any recommendations please?

Cheers, KeithView attachment 109051

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Which fillers do you have. Silly to suggest one you do not own.

I would suggest squadron green or good old Humbrol filler. If you have painted, you will need to remove the paint first as both of these will eat you paint. ...

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Which fillers do you have. Silly to suggest one you do not own.
I would suggest squadron green or good old Humbrol filler. If you have painted, you will need to remove the paint first as both of these will eat you paint. ...
Okay, thanks for that, the only filler I have is Mr. Surfacer. I haven't painted it yet, knew not to do that.

L

Laurie

If you have any plastic card Keith or an odd unused bit from a sprue or slice a piece of sprue to fill the joint using a poly cement etc. That fills the joint you can then use Mr surfacer 500 to make good the joint.

Advantage here is you will not get a crack as all the parts are plastic welded together. Used this a number of times and works well. If you do use it I have found it best to put in the cement first followed by the plastic slip filler.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
If you have any plastic card Keith or an odd unused bit from a sprue or slice a piece of sprue to fill the joint using a poly cement etc. That fills the joint you can then use Mr surfacer 500 to make good the joint.
Advantage here is you will not get a crack as all the parts are plastic welded together. Used this a number of times and works well. If you do use it I have found it best to put in the cement first followed by the plastic slip filler.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie, sounds a good idea. Cheers. Keith.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yes, using spacers/filler plastic helps to make the join stronger as well as making the filling job easier. I'm going to use spacers for my B-17 wings to eliminate excessive dihedral.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Yes, using spacers/filler plastic helps to make the join stronger as well as making the filling job easier. I'm going to use spacers for my B-17 wings to eliminate excessive dihedral.
Shouldn't you be talking to a doctor about that?

First Name
Aaron
I can recommend mr dissolved putty as a staple and tamiya putty also. I get more use from Mr dissolved but tamiya is great for the big stuff both can be put over acrylic paint and feathers beautifully.