USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like you are headed in the right direction......."crack on"........."Daylight come an we wan go home"........I'll get me coat!:rolling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Your get there. Definitely worth doing. It's good to find a thread that soaks up glue and doesn't have those hairy edges.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, always impressed with your skills, but beware her self is on the way. It might tale a couple of months by road and boat, but she will strike at any moment, rather like SWIMBO.

download MATRON ON HER BSA BIKE ..jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Too loud man (apologies to Stan Freiburg)….
:tears-of-joy: Okay Tim, I'll switch to Wings Silly Love Songs. The starting has that factory working sound.
Hi Richard
Your get there. Definitely worth doing. It's good to find a thread that soaks up glue and doesn't have those hairy edges.
Jim
Yes Jim definitely a difference and easier.
Richard, always impressed with your skills, but beware her self is on the way. It might tale a couple of months by road and boat, but she will strike at any moment, rather like SWIMBO.

View attachment 448705
John, I'm wearing my M1 helmet just incase she tries to surprise with a slap. :smiling6:

I'm averaging about 25 mins just for the two new pcs here ...
20220317_122005.jpg
Now playing Back In The Chain Gang by the Pretenders.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, did a trial set with one gun and shows that I need to adjust the length as the ropes are too long.
20220326_013001.jpg
I prefer they be a bit taught rather than loose. The thick rope for recoil is okay. The excess rope will be connected and glued the block nearest the gunwhale.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Considering the scale of this that gun looks really good. The side ropes would always be pretty taut.
Jim

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice looking job so far Richard - are you about to put the cap squares on once you've adjusted the length of the breeching ropes?
Steve

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

I admire your patience, for this long job. Don't forget that the rope through the blocks should have a loose end that is simply coiled down on the deck. This is the rope that the gunners clap on to in order to run out the gun.unicorn 3.jpg

you can see the loose end in this image. You will notice that I did not have as much patience as you so I left off the recoil rope.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Considering the scale of this that gun looks really good. The side ropes would always be pretty taut.
Jim
Thanks Jim, my next try will be more taut I hope. Actually they are adjustable if I don't lock it with CA.
Nice looking job so far Richard - are you about to put the cap squares on once you've adjusted the length of the breeching ropes?
Steve
Steve, you've got me there with those ship jargon...true land lubber I am. :smiling6:
Richard

I admire your patience, for this long job. Don't forget that the rope through the blocks should have a loose end that is simply coiled down on the deck. This is the rope that the gunners clap on to in order to run out the gun.View attachment 449460

you can see the loose end in this image. You will notice that I did not have as much patience as you so I left off the recoil rope.

John
Thanks John, I wasn't really patient with this one and snipped away the extra thread that was for the rolled up side ones because they were in the way.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Jim, my next try will be more taut I hope. Actually they are adjustable if I don't lock it with CA.

Steve, you've got me there with those ship jargon...true land lubber I am. :smiling6:

Thanks John, I wasn't really patient with this one and snipped away the extra thread that was for the rolled up side ones because they were in the way.

Cheers,
Richard
Sorry Richard! The breeching is the thickest rope that passes around the protrusion at the the end of the barrel (the cascabel) and which serves as the main restraint of the gun once in recoil; the cap squares are shaped metal pieces that pass over, and secure, the protrusions on the sides of the barrel (the trunnions) to the wooden carriage. Cap squares have a rudimentary staple hinge to the front and a simple slot to the rear . The rear fixing of the cap square comprises of a pierced staple that engages with the slot and is secured by a tapered wedge. My SWMBO is away this weekend but I'll post a schematic to show the arrangement on her return if my explanation is lacking (as I'm certain it is!). I hope I don't sound too condescending in this explanation, my apologies if I do!
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry Richard! The breeching is the thickest rope that passes around the protrusion at the the end of the barrel (the cascabel) and which serves as the main restraint of the gun once in recoil; the cap squares are shaped metal pieces that pass over, and secure, the protrusions on the sides of the barrel (the trunnions) to the wooden carriage. Cap squares have a rudimentary staple hinge to the front and a simple slot to the rear . The rear fixing of the cap square comprises of a pierced staple that engages with the slot and is secured by a tapered wedge. My SWMBO is away this weekend but I'll post a schematic to show the arrangement on her return if my explanation is lacking (as I'm certain it is!). I hope I don't sound too condescending in this explanation, my apologies if I do!
Steve
No problem Steve, better to learn than be ignorant. The breeching is clear but capsquare is still vague. So fat the kit doesn't give the hinge that secures the barrel to the trunnion. For now its just glued on. I could make them from foil and pierce to simulate staples or nails.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No problem Steve, better to learn than be ignorant. The breeching is clear but capsquare is still vague. So fat the kit doesn't give the hinge that secures the barrel to the trunnion. For now its just glued on. I could make them from foil and pierce to simulate staples or nails.

Cheers,
Richard
I'll send info ASP mate

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Cheers,
Richard
Richard
Attached schematic for your delight, edification and education - at the cost of more chewed fingernails and grey hair of course!
Steve
IMG_0649.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
PS Richard,
Same for other navies although there are minute detail differences for each; although the title states '32 pdr' the details are generic - even on mortars and carronades the cap square detail applies!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard
Attached schematic for your delight, edification and education - at the cost of more chewed fingernails and grey hair of course!
Steve
View attachment 449572
Thanks for the reference Steve, I thought as much that that was what a capsquare was. My gun and carriage is so small I may just use painted tape to simulate it. The bolts will be too small. As it is my side tackle loops are slightly over scale...so are my blocks but it gives at least an impression of a secured cannon emplacement on the deck. Shepard Paine's version of gyzmology with thread. I like a cluttered deck.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the reference Steve, I thought as much that that was what a capsquare was. My gun and carriage is so small I may just use painted tape to simulate it. The bolts will be too small. As it is my side tackle loops are slightly over scale...so are my blocks but it gives at least an impression of a secured cannon emplacement on the deck. Shepard Paine's version of gyzmology with thread. I like a cluttered deck.

Cheers,
Richard
You're very welcome mate- I'm a bear of very little brain but if I can help please ask, I'm more than happy to help!
Steve