USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh goodness gracious me...definitely walked into a minefield. I am putting the sails up so thankfully it'll be squared up but I'll need reference as to how the yardarms are tied up as I assume there will be lots of rope and knots.

Thanks for the feedback and explanation...a lot to process.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love seeing true depth of knowledge displayed John….as someone slowly working his way through the Aubrey/Maturin novels this is fantastic stuff…..and the modelling isn’t half bad either……mind you, I’m taking a diversion through Das Boot at the moment, so can you do WW2 submarines as well ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

You may be suspecting that I am a bit of a sailing ship nerd. Anyway this is approximately how the yards are attached to the mast. At the top I have drawn the positions of the yards when the sails are removed.

View attachment 450553

John
Good to have someone like you with this kind of knowledge on sailing ships John. Appreciate very much for your drawn reference which is very helpful in understanding the workings of the yardarm and attachments. Now at least I can pull off roping and hiding the plastic attachment and knowing that squaring off is the right position for the yardarm. I hope I don't make a mess if it.
No wonder it looks so busy at the fighting tops and cross trees on real sailing ships..
It's as if I've strayed onto another world. All very confusing. I don't actually give a futtock - I'm just here to enjoy Richard's modelling skills ;)
Jim
Confusing for you Jim but most helpful for me. The build is beginning to be enjoyable with the extra help. :smiling3:
Love seeing true depth of knowledge displayed John….as someone slowly working his way through the Aubrey/Maturin novels this is fantastic stuff…..and the modelling isn’t half bad either……mind you, I’m taking a diversion through Das Boot at the moment, so can you do WW2 submarines as well ;)
Thanks Tim...its sailing for the moment but I bet John will be as comfortable with underwater subjects. :smiling3:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, it's been four months since I last touched Constipation...have taken a suppository to undo the blockage and am working on the lifeboats...anything to kick-start the mojo.
Trust me to reverse build with my afterthoughts and ill planning. I keep building around the bush.
The boats flooring was pretty empty and there was something missing until I happened upon some interior pictures so I decided to rectify it...no reference to rectum okay. :smiling6:
20220816_112543.jpg
First I cut thin plastic strips that would be easily inserted and glued, scribed the surface with a saw blade to create the wood texture, painted in light tan and washed with brown black.
20220816_112559.jpg
First few strips added...doesn't look too bad. Notice the kit doesn't have textured wood surfaces...these will have to be painted in. Will see how the rest goes.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good to see you doing more work on the "Constipation". Little boat looks very good . Hope it isn't shelved for another four months.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, this month I have to rush on with the Malayan diorama and at least make some progress for the local GB coming up. But I will still tinker with the Constipation. Just to let you know I've just done the other three boats.
20220816_172641.jpg
Just a little squeezing to get the strips in place. Now they are looking right without even needing to put tarps to cover the emptiness.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No I have not Peter, thank you for sharing it. Very interesting and the cute little tugboat would be a nice accompaniment to my Constipation.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ryan, you haven't been on much lately so pls don't expect it to be completed soon. :smiling2: If you recognise the name of the ship it's gonna be a while but I promise you I will finish it. Glad you commented.

Cheers,
Richard