USS Enterprise CV-6 (1/700)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello guys,
I have been fascinated by WWII aircraft carriers for a longtime, but because of there huge size I never gave it a thought to build one as a scale-model...

A few weeks ago my colleague Wouter showed me one of his magazines which explained the highly detailed build of the 'Lexington's final battle 1/700 by Marijn Van Gils'.
Seeing the possibilities in this scale I got interested to give it a try, so I ordered the USS Enterprise CV-6 from Trumpeter...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_001b.jpg

The USS Enterprise CV-6 participated in many major actions against Japan, took a lot of damage and was repaired many times. In 1943 She got an extensive overhaul and in late 1944 she got a spinter-camouflage scheme against submarines. She even survived the war and was sadly sold for scrap in 1958.

Steven_USS_Enterprise_001.jpg

A color print is included for painting & markings, there seems to be no 'year/date' specified.
I assume this version is dated 1942-1943 (before the overhaul and introduction of Hellcats)
Steven_USS_Enterprise_002.jpg

The kit comes with these nice PE-parts (it got a bit bend inside the box).
Steven_USS_Enterprise_003.jpg

Overview of the sprues (the smaller ones in the middle-bottom are x4 and x2)
Steven_USS_Enterprise_004.jpg

Some holes needed to be drilled in the flight-deck-part, but not all of them so you have to take a good look at the drawings.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_005.jpg

The backside of the flight deck needs to be cut, I assume this gives you the option to build the 'early' version of the USS Enterprise.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_006.jpg

The main body before mounting the flight deck...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_007.jpg

These chimney PE-parts needed to be bend, I used the back of a knife-tool and pressed it into a piece of leather.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_008.jpg

Chimney PE-parts mounted.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_009.jpg

Some more PE-parts.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_010.jpg

At the moment the main build is done, some missing parts are the guns, small boats, 2 PE cranes, planes and figures...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_011.jpg

A close-up of the tower/bridge, most of the PE parts are used here.
(The 2 cables on the crane were made from guitar e-string)
Steven_USS_Enterprise_012.jpg

That's all for now...

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Steven

D

Deleted member 4539

Oooohhhh I love ships and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this Steven :smiling3:.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Wouter and Ralph :thumb2:

I have a small update, first I made the missing PE-cranes...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_014.jpg

The guns and boats were put together and fixed on a stick for painting...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_018.jpg

I left the smaller guns on their sprue.
All of the barrels had an annoying piece of plastic connected to them...
Steven_USS_Enterprise_020.jpg

After removing and cleaning those they were ready to paint with the airbrush.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_019.jpg

I cleaned the larger parts of the ship with alcohol.
Steven_USS_Enterprise_015.jpg

I sprayed very thin coats of black primer (Vallejo), to get in all the cavities etc
Steven_USS_Enterprise_016.jpg

Black primer, ready for the next step :thumb2:
Steven_USS_Enterprise_017.jpg

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Steven

First Name
Wouter
Too fast, too fast, can't keep up :P :D

Looking good there again. Nice work. Are you going add a crew afterwards, like Marijn? :poop:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Wouter, Yeah I think I went a bit too fast on this one : D,
In the beginning I planned to build the carrier 'out of the box' (since there was already a bit of PE in the kit and also ... I'm a cheap guy :smiling5:) but this morning it started to bother me that there isn't a single 'handrail' mounted on the ship. So I decided to order an extra PE-sheet with the missing handrails. Those will be added to the ship and then sprayed in black primer before I move on with more paint.

I ordered this 1/700 Eduard update from the UK, so hopefully it will arrive soon... :smiling2: (it's not specifically designed for the Trumpeter kit but it shouldn't be a problem)
Steven_USS_Enterprise_021.jpg

Yes, I already have these 1/700 PE-figures in the stash :thumb2:
After inspecting the figures I also concluded Marijn might not be born on this planet ... :thinking:
I will give them a try but I'm still mentally preparing for it ... :smiling5:
Steven_USS_Enterprise_022.jpg
There is no way I will be able to make something of the same quality as Marijn, but I will try to make a small interesting diorama to put on my desk :thumb2:

Thanks and cheers,
Steven

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Had a great read through Steven. You certainly have some miniature madness on your hands. Good luck with the rest of the wet stuff