USS Lionfish... A lil bit of help, Please

T

Tailspin14

I am currently building the USS LionFish. The paint scheme in the kit does not really have any colors above the waterline. I am looking to put a coat of paint on it cause the model color just doesn't seem right. I can't find any good pics of the Lionfish either. My questions are this...

What color should I paint the upper half of the sub?

What details can I add to it to make it appear more realistic?

Here is a pic of what they advertise it to look like...

View attachment 15075

rmx855228.jpeg

N

Nigel.D

the lionfish if im not mistaken was a gato class and if in pacific colours was red lead below the waterline and light grey above

unless you do the famous one from operation petticoat then its all pink

T

Tailspin14

the lionfish if im not mistaken was a gato class and if in pacific colours was red lead below the waterline and light grey aboveunless you do the famous one from operation petticoat then its all pink
You were one version too early. The lionfish is a Balao class. I will probably go with the light grey. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do with the stock kit and detail on the tower.

N

Nigel.D

IM sure there was a detail set for it from "White Ensign models" mate!!!!

T

Tailspin14

I did some painting last night.. still no guts with the air brush just yet. I used the ghost light grey and it actually looks pretty good so far. Still looking into details... thanks for the tip though.

Bob

R

rjwood_uk

i cant find any extra detail sets for it and White Ensign dont do that scale. found a few resin convertion set though that can turn it into a Gato or the USS somethingFISH.

if you want to add railings you can get them from any 1/220 p/e set and just use them as you wish.

T

Tailspin14

Thanks... I just look at it and even though it has the railings and the antennae, deck guns, etc... I just think it looks a little plain. I am not too worried.. right now everything that I am doing is for the sense of accomplishment and the practice. I know these are probably going to be a little less than the quality of I have seen on here but I am up for the challenge...hehe. I probably will just go with what I have with this kit.. save the custom for a bit later.

T

Tailspin14

Bob,I have a bunch of photos of the USS Lionfish, I could send you a couple if you think it would help. Also you can find conversion resin kits for this model at www.nautilusmodels.com . I have the kit as well, there are more than a few things wrong. The deck gun being one of them.

Here is another site you may find useful, http://www.shipcamouflage.com/submarines.htm

Take care.

Don
That would be great, Don. I still need to look at those links, but thanks in advance. Please feel free to email the pics to tailspin@scalemail.co.uk

Thanks again!

Bob