USS NIMITZ CVN 68 AIRCRAFT CARRIER

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS AN GALS well jen reminded me about this build id forgotton about putting this in the completed ships an that's my 7 yrs build of USS NIMITZ CVN 68 AIRCRAFT CARRIER AN IT HAS MANY WORKIN FEATURES 5 workin radars' an workin aircraft elevators to name but a few an the radio control had 19 challenels on it all to work something this for me was a build of a lifetime an first pic is with the missus holdin it when only half built so you can get a little idea of the size an believe it or not this was built in our kitchen an was all scratchbuilt
carrier build48.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an she had about 54 planes on her in 1/144scale kits an some in the hangers
here at a model show with jen on guard to stop poeple tryin to touch as they couldnt help them selves tryin to touch IMG_5151.JPG

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bl$$dy hell Chris, you must have used half the rain forest lol

Yet another monster build and WOW does not do you or the ship justice, stunning sir

I forgot you asked about my StuG kits. Large is a good description!!

I will pm you and bore you to sleep lol

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Wow what a big beauty Chris, you must have a big kitchen to have a slipway for that in:tongue-out3:

In awe….:cool:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bl$$dy hell Chris, you must have used half the rain forest lol

Yet another monster build and WOW does not do you or the ship justice, stunning sir

I forgot you asked about my StuG kits. Large is a good description!!

I will pm you and bore you to sleep lol
OK Bob youre on as I havnt been sleepin to good as of lately im up at 3am quite a few times as got ideas for tiger wizzin round in my head an cant sleep
chris

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow what a big beauty Chris, you must have a big kitchen to have a slipway for that in:tongue-out3:

In awe….:cool:
HI Fernando yes we did have big kitchen when we lived in the old house it was a lord of the manor house yrs ago an it was three stories high an we had four big bedrooms an in the olden days they were servants rooms 20ft x 20ft x 4 rooms an we lived there for 33 yrs

an when I was building her in the kitchen people kept sayin on a forum where I was on sayin how are you gonna get it out of the kitchen when its built an I said its easy as it comes in half like my tiger does now

but back to the old house it now been bought by a millionaire an its like a manshion now with its rd all private but we have pemission to go down an see our cats graves but last time we went we had to run for our lives as a bl**dy GREAT DOG came out after us an jen was faster than me running an I said wait for me an she shouted not bl**dy likely an zoomed ahead of me I was lucky I still had the seat of my pants intact when I weezzed up away from that dog
chris

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Quite an undertaking. Wish I had the stamina for such a thing. I am daunted by a 1:350 of HMS Illustrious/Invincible where all the parts are there in the box more or less!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Indeed, quite an undertaking. sounds like the dog almost ate your ar*se. best send word next time you plan to visit the kitty graves.
Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Quite an undertaking. Wish I had the stamina for such a thing. I am daunted by a 1:350 of HMS Illustrious/Invincible where all the parts are there in the box more or less!
HI Toby well yes it is quite an undertaking but it depends on how badly you want a model of a ship like this as I have always loved carriers since bein a youngster an when I first see Nimitz in a picture I fell in love with the lines of the carrier an really everything about the ship an my boaty friends said why don't you build her.

So it started about a yr of research an luckly a friend on the web who lives in the USA got invited to a tour of the ship an he took loads of photos for me which he sent over in a M - STICK then i thought well i'll give it a try so i thought right to make it easyier i'll buy a grp hull in 1/144th scale but then i hit a brick wall you might say as i could not find anybody makein such a big hull in the UK so a freind went on the web an found scaleshipyards in the USA but boy was i in for a shock

They sold the hull in grp but only in 1/96 scale so it would be way to big about 14 ft long an the cost was about two thound dollars i think if i remember rightly an it would be another thound to ship it over to the UK so i nearly stopped there an Nimitz would have been stopped at birth . but again a freind went on a search on the web for some plans to build the ship in what i wanted 1/144 scale well i sent for them an they were not the correct size so it was off to the printers

where i had her blown up to the 1/144 scale size that i wanted an when they were done well when the plans were strected out to full size it was WOW an i nr fainted an thinkin what have got myself into well after all the money id spent so far i was committed (an not to the rubber room thank goodness ) an so it went staight into the build state after a bit of thought an well six yrs later the finished ship im glad to say SO Toby really its all about how bad do you want the model as it was for me ANYWAY SORRY TO DRONE ON an thanks for your intrest in the model cheers all best to you
chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Indeed, quite an undertaking. sounds like the dog almost ate your ar*se. best send word next time you plan to visit the kitty graves.
Rick H.
WELL HI Rick yes It would be a good idea as I nearly lost the seat of my pants but I don't think well'r chance it again as that's the fastes ive ever run an that bloomin dog had big bleedin teeth so I don't fancy another go with him nor does jen lol
stay safe an well
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN IF ANYBODY WANTS TO SEE THIS NIMITZ BUILD AGAIN ITS IN SHIPS UNDER CONSTRUCKION an if you do have a look hope you enjoy it
all best to all you guys who put on comments
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
1590750889509.png

Chris. Stunning and a credit to your skill and determination.

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Thanks for the back-story. Though I’m not so sure my other half would be so allowing lol.
I saw a 1/72 of Ark Royal a guy spent 25 years making on YouTube that peeked my curiosity and this is of a similar vein.
But the Yanks always have the best military kit and a Nimitz is the pinnacle of American military power!
T