USS North Carolina 1/700

D

Deleted member 4539

Look at the state of this,anyone would think you have never made a ship before :tears-of-joy:.

Joking aside this has turned out to be a beauty and one to be proud of Gary:smiling3:.
I hope to see more.

First Name
Gary
Thanks Ralph. I did learn a few things as you would expect. Particularly around how small the components are on a 1/700. Luckily having a laminate floor helped find them. Also around the scale of the waves alongside the ship is important. I did a large bow wave to reflect that I wanted the ship to be picking up speed so nicely churned water at the stern as the propellors gave them a good stir before picking up that speed. Creating the sea colours was a whole new lot of fun. Loved it.

And yes, I will be doing more. Originally I was looking at 1/350 but after this 1/700 I really like the size and effect

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gary.
That's a beautiful build, certainly captures the movement.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: nice one.

First Name
Gary
Thanks John. I deliberately did a high bow wave to capture that moment when a big ship speeds up. I looked at a couple of World at War which luckily had the US Pacific fleet in a lot. I originaly did the other bow waves down the side with lots of foam on top but that just didn't look right. So I removed the blutack that built the waves up, tamped the painted foil down and coloured like the rest of the sea. it does give an impression of movement. So I'm chuffed.

I didn't expect the dio to be so much fun and require so much concentration. But I enjoyed that part far too much......