V-1 Fieseler FI 103 RE-3 Flying Bomb (Trainer)

F

Fenlander

Looks an interesting build, only advice I would give at this stage is to take your time and make sure you dry fit everything before you commit to glue.

M

msm2

Using a can at the mo until I get funds for a compressor. Taking my time..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on nicely now tony, tell me did the germans get many volunteers to fly these,and i can only assume they would have been intended for use against high value targets,ie ships, in which case the pilot could maybe bail out into the drink at the last moment.If they were intended to be used against cities ,then there would be no need for a pilot as the guidance system had already proved effective, maybe you can shed some light? cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony may well correct me but I always understood these would have been a one way ticket. The guidance system on the V1 really wasn't very good. Many missed London,which is a substantial target. They would be useless in a tactical sense,even aiming at an area like a beach head. I have a vague recollection of an air launched attack on Manchester that ended up with explosions over a large area of North and North Western England.

Cheers

Stona

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi steve, yes a one way mission seems the only feasible explanation, its just that it doesnt somehow seem to sit right with the german way of thinking, as opposed to the strict honour system and mindset of the wartime japanese and their suicide missions. The many extraordinary devices the germans came up with at the close of the war (mistels, the heinkel 162 to name two)always suggested that the pilot was recognised as a valuable asset, i suppose that desperation can drive people to consider anything,even self sacrifice for the good of their parent country.Perhaps another factor in the development of these is that the germans were led to believe that the guidance system wasnt as good as it really was. British double agents sending info to germany on the position of the v1 impacts deliberately sent only the positions of the bombs that went 'long' and not the majority that were on target, so that the germans altered the systems to fall a bit shorter. As a result the next wave fell short of the target on sparsely populated farmland. Nevertheless the v1 accounted for over 6000 deaths and a lot of destruction at the cost of no pilots , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quite right Tony. I think the V1 can be viewed as a succesful strategic weapon,it certainly caused consternation in the population of South East England and in the political leadership who were determined to try and prevent the launches or,at the very least, have anti aircraft artillery banging away pointlessly at them to cheer everyone up!!! They were however never a serious military threat, a bit like the Scuds in the first Gulf war. That is not in any way to diminish the losses and casualities they caused (more than 20,000),not just here but also in the low countries.

The range was determined by an anemometer which wound down to a point that was estimated to be the target.This then triggered the fall of the missile. Incidentally everyone remembers the engine cutting out before impact. This was a result of the dive, not the cause of it, and was unintentional. The V1 was supposed to make a powered dive and later versions did. The rotation of the vane obviously depended on prevailing winds and the airspeed of the missile. These were estimated pre-launch and were always going to be approximate. Good enough if you were aiming for a general target like London or Antwerp but not much else.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good Tony. Never seen a model of one of these before

M

msm2

Cheers Allyne.Just about to paint the canopies and fix some of the small parts to it and its finished. I need to paint up the trolley that it sits on.

Tony..

Last edited: