V2 - Vengeance From Above

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude.1
My God, there's some work going on there on the box alone. Top rate stuff mate, how you have managed to continue in the heat before I don't know. Even here the TET didn't seem to work, realised as you said it was drying out. As for those small parts …..... words would fly . great
work buddy.

Hope the weather cools down and stays .
Dude 2

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Allen. You are a brave man to put all those latches together at once. With my big arms I would lean over the bench and crush the whole lot knowing me:smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen,
lay off the "brewskis and caffeine" long enough to get that lot sorted out!
Have a joy joy happy happy day,
Rick H.:thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning Rocketeers,

Sorry for my lack of posting over the past week or so. Had a bad bout of the big black dog and it sort of put things on hold. I took 4 days off from work to try and catch up on this project. It seems to have helped and the Mojovation is once again on track. So...

Dude 2 - Thanks my friend. The weather has finally cooled and it even rained a bit last night. No bad words were spoken while attaching the latches to the cabinet.

Stevie - I was really surprised that I got them all together and none of them disappeared into the unknown. Thanks Buddy and see the rest of the story below!

Rick - Trust me Sir, the work went a whole lot better than I ever expected. No beverages were consumed during this action! Thanks too for keeping me on the right track.

Now with 14 latches to glue (CA) onto the cabinet, One needed to have a clear head and a steady hand. You also need a CA that doesn't dry in a second and gives you a little wiggle time. The MXBON CA worked a dream and is cheap. With tiny tipped tweezers in hand and a little puddle of CA, we went at it...
IMG_1508.JPG
I could not believe how quickly the whole shebang went. All 14 latches attached and the piece set aside to dry properly. It took about 8 minutes total. I moved on to the switch cabinet and finished up the backside with covers for the oval plugs. I added the roof supports to it and set that aside to dry too...
IMG_1529.JPG
Moving back to the Steyr itself, I had to fix the rear deck as it looked horrible. I cut out the the offending piece and replaced it with sheet. Since this pic, I have puttied it over to fill the gaps. Just need to sand it down a bit...IMG_1507.JPG
The more I looked at the rear wheel wells made of thin sheet, the more they got on my nerves. I removed them, cleaned up the frame some more. I modified the kit parts that I had cut off and will use them. Again, I should have done that from the beginning, DOH!!!...
IMG_1531.JPG
Then going back to the switch cabinet, it was time to glue on the roof. A test fit showed that I am not good at measurements for such things...
IMG_1530.JPG
The piece in the middle is what I had to cut out of the roof as it was way too long, Ooops!!! I added a handle and scribed a drawer into the battery cabinet base as shown? in the reference piccies. I also added the box to the side of the switch cabinet and CA'd the roof on it. Gotta check out why it looks crooked and leaning downwards to the right...
IMG_1533.JPG
The front view...
IMG_1534.JPG
Now here, the roof looks straight. Maybe it's an optical illusion or my eyes are crooked. I see other parts the are not 100% straight either. Let's chalk it up to a senior moment or two or more!!! The ragged oval socket on the bottom right will be filled with a plug that goes to the generator. The socket on the left will also be filled with the main power cable from the regulator. On the mat you can see the 2 PE brackets for holding the cable to the floor. More on that when we get that far folks!!!

Next up is getting the cable reels fitted into the trunk and while the weather remains cooler, maybe some paint slinging is in order. Thanks for your patience and support.

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Allen, great stuff and progress. Some advise...If you have a set of set squares or steel ruler you can check against the parts if you have cut them at right angles at 90 degrees. Your second last picture shows that the top and bottom of the switch cabinet isn't at right angles or off glued slightly. Unless it's supposed to be that way to fit with the rest of the assemblies.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen-BRAVOSTUPENDO! Your prose is equal to your modeling skills. Most excellent blog. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Loverly level of details ing. a joy to follow your build

Peter

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1
Stand with your head on one side and all will be right :upside::upside:.
Quite honestly that power unit is superb. I couldn't see anything amiss . I use those metal bars to try to keep things either upright or square if you don't have a set square as Richard suggests.
Dude 2

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
ALLEN.....FANTASTICO I LOVE IT AND THE DETAILS ARE STUNNING

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Measure twice, cut once Allen! Come on man what are you playing at:tongue-out2:....nah, don’t sweat it....it happens to the best or us mate!
I’m really impressed with the patience you have to get all this done....and to how well (apart from measuring) you making these bits:thumb2:

Top stuff sir:smiling4:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Late Afternoon Boys, Girls and Children Of All Ages,

No, I haven't given up on this project yet. I'm still loving the hell out of it and making progress. I just forget to take pictures and the progress is lots of uninteresting little crap things. I don't want to put you all to sleep...

Richard - Thanks for the advice my friend. I really do need a good steel mini T-square exactly for that. I only have a steel 1/35th scale ruler to use. Oh, and the back of the cabinet isn't even square. After I had it all glued together and started making knobs and switches, I saw that. I was too lazy busy to re-do it. I had to carve out a bit on the bottom to fit the wheel well and clear the generator base. I hope it doesn't look too bad in the end...

Paul - Thanks too Buddy. It is taking a bit longer than I had thought it would. I am glad your still with me on this...

PaulE - Easy killer!!! You know I try to be honest during a build and am not the most intelligent moggeller on the block. The problem is keeping the tea-totaler's in the back row awake. You and I don't have that prob here in front. Thanks Sir and any progress on the garage yet? It's after Labor day ya know!!!

Peter - Thank you so much Sir!!! I Just wish I had more time to work on this and make real progress. I hope you are well up in Guernsey...

Dude 2 - I tried that and ended up with a crick in the neck. I now walk funny down the street and people don't stop laughing!!! Seriously, I do need to invest in a few metal pieces to help my scratchy. JLC also make a miter box for the saw, but it is expensive. Thanks John!!!

Greg - Thank you too for the kind words, but I think stunning is a bit too kind. A beautiful woman walking down the street is more stunning than my work my friend. LOL!!!

Si - Patience is about the only thing I have left my friend. I don't know what happened here. It must have been a hell of a brain fart. If I ever do it (this vehicle) again, I will measure 3 times and cut once. Probably still screw it up though. Thanks my man...

Have you ever reached a point in a project where you think you have found all the stuff that needs to be scratch built and then found others??? I have 14 reference piccies and there seems to be no end to things you find each time you study them. I love this hobby!!!!!!!!
I am having a difficult time trying to make the two bicycle-like tires for the cart that is used to roll out or roll up the cable reels. I found a couple of etch sets to help out as I have 2 tires from the Tamiya BMW R75 w/side car that have no spokes. The best part was they were cheap and looked like they could be of use. Okay, I knew the bicycle set rims were too big...
IMG_1536.JPG
Oh, the figs are going to be needed for the launch dio and the burnt out road wheel set is for the 15 or more Pz. IV based kits in the stash. War was hell and road wheels took a beating on the battlefield. These were cheap too!!! (don't believe the price on the package and for the Aber etch set either)...
Anyway, back to the bike looking tires. They were about the same as the tires on the Goliath transport cart and they look like this…
Steyr 2000A- 11 (2).jpg
(For Discussion Purposes Only)
I need to enlarge the Tamiya tires on the inside so the DKW NZ350 spoked rims fit into them. I do hope to accomplish a lot more in the coming days. Work has once again taken away a lot of table time during the week. Damn, I can't wait to retire folks!!! Thanks again for all your support and have a great week...

Prost
Allen

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Wow wow and wow again!

Allen das ist wunderbar!

Great work, can't wait to see the end results

Lee

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No progress Allen - TOO @#$%^**&^%$ HOT! Sorry. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What we want to know Dude 1 is how come you managed to get such good deals ?
Have fun, you know you love it .
Dude 2

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your bench must have more kits than your local model shop at the moment!. This certainly is growing into something rather large! Don't worry about retirement mate. I am sure you will only be half way through the project by the time you get there:smiling2:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your bench must haveij more kits than your local model shop at the moment!. This certainly is growing into something rather large! Don't worry about retirement mate. I am sure you will only be half way through the project by the time you get there:smiling2:
Steve .
I don't know about Allen's bench, but his stash is akin to any major retailer .:smiling2:
JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Afternoon Once Again Rocketeers and Hamilton Fans around the Insel,

I have been a bit quiet over the past week and a half. I had to take a break from the table as work was a bear and the etch spokes almost landed in the trash along with the whole thing...

Lee - Thank you Sir! I'm glad you like it and welcome to my nightmare. I only ask for a little patience as this project is gonna take some time to complete. There are cold beers in the fridge if you're thirsty...

Paul - I understand my friend. It's finally cooled here, but the coming week is supposed to be in the 30s C again. Hope it's cooled of by you and glad you don't have a prob with hurricanes. Now get cracking while you can!!!

Dude 2 - Hey John, you know the truth now and this week hasn't been easy. I still love the project and the Steyr, but needed a break. Don't go teasing Stevie like that though. I'll post a teaser for him next...

Stevie - Hey Buddy, You don't know how right you might be about this project. It could last into the time for my retirement, but I hope not. As far as the table looking like a shop, nah, I have plastic shelves for the stash. Here's one...
IMG_1518.JPG
And that's not the whole shelf in the pic...

So back at the Ranch, we have 5 head of cattle...Uhhh, I mean progress I hope think. First, the reason for the break. The Aber etch set spoked rims for the DKW have a diameter of 14mm and the Tamiya tires had an inside diameter of 9,5mm. Didn't have a big enough drill bit at home, so I took them to work. We didn't have a 14mm bit there either, but I found something to do the trick...
IMG_1538.JPG
The wonderful industrial sized reamer was perfect for the job. The downside was trying to hold the tire with the fingers on one hand and turn the reamer with the other hand. It took almost 2 hours and really sore fingers, but the job got done...At first, I attempted to CA the rim pieces together and then form them concave. Didn't work and CA came undone. The rims wouldn't seat inside the tire as I wanted them to. Trim here, file there, sand on the edge and lose your mind!!!...After 2 days of it, I needed a break. This is where we are now...
IMG_1547.JPG
You can see they are a bit beat up, but I'll get them together come hell or high water!!! In between bouts of insanity (and a few cold ones), I broke out the hairy stick and went at the chassis. It helped calm the nerves and came out like this...
IMG_1548.JPG
The good part is you won't see most of it later, hence some visible mold lines. It's done in a combo of AK, Tamiya and Mission Models paint.

Today was a nice sunny and warm day here in Bamberg and what better to do as to fire up the hissy stick and shoot a coat on the little crap pieces. I have never sprayed Mission Models paint, so it was a learning experience. Most of the time it's Tamiya thinned with 50% IPA and it goes on smooth as glass. I thinned the MM with about 33% thinner and tried it. Too thin, so I added more paint and tried again. Worked well, but MM takes a bit longer to dry as Tammy does. The last few pieces were shot with the MM almost straight from the bottle. That worked too!!! Live and learn and it looks like this...IMG_1545.JPG
None of the pieces were primer coated and I didn't wash them to remove any oils or such either (too lazy) as I was afraid bits would fall off if I did. I also forgot to prime the etch pieces with my Mr. Metal Primer too. They look a little better in real life than in the pics! Another shot...Hey, wake up there in the back row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_1544.JPG
The MM set is the late war German cammo set and the dark yellow is lighter. The little box down front (I guess) is for the field telephone for comms. There is also a small reel of telephone wire mounted below it on the back wall of the interior. I will let the pieces dry for a few days and then I can detail the panels and gages and the like. Gotta bust out the tiny hairy sticks for this work as well as the 3,5 X lens to see what I'm doing.

Slowly getting some things done here and it looks like progress, to the un-trained eye. Thank again for looking in and drink one for me have a wonderful evening!!! All abuse is welcome and probably needed...………….

Prost
Allen

D

Daniel Horvath

Nice progress Allen ! Very much looking forward to seeing this car put together! Details are amazing! Good luck with the rest! Regards Danny