V2 - Vengeance From Above

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling:... that is super nice... :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:LOVE it... keep up the good things rolling... :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Rocket Lovers,

Not an update, but replies to you fine folks. I have been playing a little trying to create the air vents for the motor. It is a bit nerve wracking making parts that are a few mm's long out of almost paper thin sheet plastic. It's more like hit or miss and oops, I/it broke it again. I hope tomorrow I will be able to post some good news! So,

Paul - Thanks Buddy and with the quality work you create, your old one must have been a real good lamp! Best of luck with the new one...

Dude 2 - Thanks John, the resin engine is ok, but does need some scratchy to make it better. Don't know about that new level though???

Si - I think that sometimes doing research is as much fun as the actual building. You learn so much too. Thanks my friend and best wishes to the family...

Rick - I thank you Sir and hope to bore dazzle you some more soon. How deep is the snow in your neck of the woods???

Greg - You Da Man!!! Even if you did forget to take your meds this week Buddy!!! All the best at you...

PaulE - Please Sir, let's not talk about the stash. I actually picked up the resin motor at the SMC for € 5. My stash is still growing and I bet your stash (from pics seen) is 10X bigger than mine. It's a disease (don't cha love it) and details do count too……………..

Stevie - Thanks Bro, the first one was the title pic for my original blog and is from Operation Backfire. The second one is prob from Op. Backfire too. The third appears to be a British, Scottish or Canadian soldier inspecting a damaged V2 sitting on a Vidal transport trailer. The Vidal transported the V2 from the railhead to the prep area where it was lifted off the Vidal trailer with a Fries 16 ton crane and placed onto the Meillerwagen erection trailer, had the warhead attached and was then towed to the launch site. BTW, Operation Backfire was the documentation of the 3 launches made by British in Oct. 1945. Good reading and viewing if you get the chance…….
2012-vertical-fueling[1].jpg
LOX fueling for one of the launches from Op. Backfire...

I hope you all have a super weekend with tons of bench time. Till the next post!!!

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen, we just got 2" last night. Weather up to this point has been rather "fall like".
Cheers, Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Rick,

I figured you would be butt deep in the white stuff by now. We haven't had any here either and I hope we don't until Christmas. Then it can melt and try again next year for Christmas!!!

Wow Rocketeers,

I did accomplish a little work this weekend. Yup, little is the word and I have gotten the air intake vents for the motor done. They just need a bit of cleanup and some tweaking.

I measured out the size of the bottom plate and cut it out. Then I cut out the inner and outer side pieces and used some scrap squares for the tops. This is what I finally (many mistakes and broken pieces later) ended up with...
IMG_1625.JPG
Test fits showed that the pieces should work pretty well...So, off we go……………………..
IMG_1627.JPG
Thick CA is your best friend here as well as a steady hand and fingers. Tweezers help a bit too!!! After the CA set, I sanded the bottom of the pieces so they were all the same. On to the bottom plate, I used my etch rolling tool and a soft mat to roll it to fit the curves on the back of the sidewalls. Again, getting CA happy we had this……...
IMG_1629.JPG
With a bit of cleanup it should be ok. A view from straight on...….
IMG_1628.JPG
Letting this dry a while, I started trimming the top pieces to close the air intakes. They were a bit tricky to make without trimming too much off getting them to fit. In the end, we had...…….
IMG_1630.JPG
Yea, the right side is smaller than the left. I'll fiddle with it a bit to improve it. I then did a test fit of the exhaust system to make sure it cleared everything and guess what?????????? With the exhaust system in place, the muffler covers the view of both intakes. DOH!!!!!!! In the end, you won't hardly see them. I love this hobby……..
IMG_1631.JPG
Still a lot of scratchy here. On the backside we need to make the flywheel, pump with housing and trailer frame mount. We also need to do a lot of work on the motor and the front of it too...

Thanks again for looking and I wish you all a great week. Work calls early in the morning and that s#cks!!!

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looking real good Allen! I'm with you on the snow. Usually have 4-6" by Thanksgiving. Snowed again last night but not cold enough to stick around.
BTW...just think of the guys who build a complete detailed engine and then glue the hood on!!!:tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1
Looks like the light has paid off when you see work as fine as that..
Dude 2

Steve do NOT encourage Allen please to think about buying anymore kits !

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the scratchery. Looks like you are havin fun:thumb2::cool:

JR- When Allen goes on holiday shares in Airfix plummet:smiling5:

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
ALLEN .... ALLEN.. ALLEEEEN...:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
the level of detail of your work is really spectacular.... l'm really curios to see this diorama done...
have a nice evening

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
Some great scratchery there mate really looking good very nicely done.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Allen, it's been a while since I dropped in...
The engine looks great with parts coming from all over the place to form one engine.:thumb2:

Hope you're still snow free, had a couple of cm's last night although it quickly melted away, gave a nice sight though during one's morning run:smiling4:.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Everyone,

I cannot believe it has been actually 2 weeks since I posted anything on this. In reality, the Mojovation has taken a curve downward and even though the lamp is a fantastic work aid, the constant grey, dreary weather has beaten me up a bit. It sucks when you have to have lights on the whole day because it's so dark outside. I wish winter was already over and spring is here. No luck I know, but maybe the sun will shine again before April...

On the upside, I have made contact with a founding member of the International V2 Research Group. He was at the SMC and saw my Steyr 2000 in the show. He couldn't believe someone had built one and tried to find out who built it, but with no luck. I saw his post about it on dmmb and tried to contact him through V2rocket.com. He mailed me and since then we have been trading info back and forth regularly. He shares many photos and info on V2 things and I share my build with him as he is also an avid modeller. This has brought the Mojovation up a few notches and I really want to go crazy over the holidays with all this new info.

Rick - Hey Buddy, I'm not going to close the doors on this one, but I know exactly what you mean! Thanks...

Dude 2 & Stevie - The light is a dream and NO, I haven't purchased any kits for the stash as of late. There isn't anything good on evilbay either, so all the companies can start sweating now and you guys are killing me!!!

Greg - I'm sorry my friend, but you probably will be 60 years old when I finally finish this monster. But I will finish it!!!...

Paul - Thanks my friend and I must say you are doing some fantastic scratchy yourself!!!

Mike - Ok Bro, so I spit out my beer when I saw your post...Luckily, there was no damage!!! Oh, and there was a warning on the lamp when I pulled it out of the box saying the same damn thing. "Do not look directly into the LEDs"

Si - Thank you Sir and I am glad you are enjoying this. I can't understand why you haven't fallen asleep like everyone else here though with my snail progress. BTW, did you ever get in contact with that model club in West Sussex???

Fernando - Thank you my good friend. Out jogging were we??? Oh, to be young again!!! We had a about a cm of it today and that was it. I hope it's gone in the morning. I will PM you after work tomorrow buddy...You have been warned!!!

So Ladies and Germs Gentlemen, I leave you with a huge thank you and please bear with my little setback. Hell, I still can't keep up with all the finery on this great site either...Christmas Party on Friday didn't help a bit too...………………….

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Only a few days Buddy till the light starts to return a few minutes each day. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: Much merriment.
Dude 2
Christmas Party , bah humbug:smiling:.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Only a few days Buddy till the light starts to return a few minutes each day. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: Much merriment.
Dude 2
Christmas Party , bah humbug:smiling:.
I like the sound of more daylight....I hate these dark dingey nites:sad:

Allen, no I never did look into contacting any model clubs....Too busy as I got two kids to run around after, 3 if you count the misses :smiling5:
Hope life is treating you well mate:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hang in there Allen, Dude 2 is correct. Mr. Sun will be on his way back from Texas before you can say Prost. Zero snow here still and a mix of partly cloudy and overcast days. Time for much moggeling as I am off till Jan. 7th. Cheers, Rick H.:cool: