V2 - Vengeance From Above

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Practice makes perfect Allen.:thumb2:
Fantastic scratch-building, keep it up!

Fernando

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Innit loverly....
Cracking stuff mate
Cheers
Tim

O

OneSmallStep1966

Lovely work, and your extensive research on the subjects and attention to detail is fabulous.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific update mate! Wonderful work on the small stuff. This is turning into a real gem and its good to hear your mojo is high. Prost
Steve

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ah yes, scratchery is so gratifying. Top stuff. PaulE

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Gentle Rocketeers and Those With A Cold One At Hand,

Wow folks, Thank You all so much for following my madness and for your positive comments!!!

Jim - Sorry my friend and with the next update I'll hand out aspirin too. Hope you're feeling better now!

Peter - Yes Sir, this is so much fun to do. I just can't do it as fast as you and with your top results...

Scottie - Ok, which do you prefer? Paul or Scottie? No my man, not showing off and wait till we get to the Steyr interior (see below)...Maybe then!!!

Ian - Thanks Sir and glad you stopped by to keep me on my toes....

Kevin - Trying to move ahead Buddy...The more you get into it, the more you want to do! The flanges were not hard, but trying, with the optivisor...Good to see you here too!

Fernando - Hey my friend, thanks and I have learned that it takes 2 times to (almost) get it right when scratching. I've shelved the Gusgofast Guesstimation Formula for this project too!!! Back to the 1/35 scale ruler for me...

Tim - Thanks Tim, You da Man!!! Glad I'm not boring anybody (yet) with this. Take Care Sir...

Norman - Thank you too Sir! I have researched this project since last year and then finally committed to put out the cash to do it. I'm still doing research today as I find new material, mostly in German, and have to translate in into English to publish here when needed. Actual Could do the next update in German???

Stevie - Thanks buddy and you are so right about the Mojovation. Hell, you ain't doing too bad yourself!!! Glad you like it even if today wasn't too productive.

Paul E - You are so correct my friend. Scratching can get on your nerves, but the end result is very gratifying and then you can treat yourself to a cold one!!! Hope you are doing well in downtown Ohio and have cleaned out the garage.........

No real build update today, but..........
I stated earlier to Scottie that the interior of the Steyr was pretty packed with electric stuff Here is an idea just how packed it is..............
Steyr 2000A- 01.jpg
(For Discussion Purposes Only)
The front seats were removed for the pic to give a better view of the electric stuff. The 6 KVA is behind the driver's seat. Battery charging generator on the left, switching box behind the 6 KVA and batteries with accessories in the rear big box. Lead warriors make a resin kit of the 6KVA generator with a choice of control boxes for $33.00 + postage. The rest will be scratched. I might scratch the 6KVA myself as the price is kinda high and I have quite a bit invested in this project already. Hmmmm, Gotta think about it!!!!

Checking other pics, I went back to searching through the spare parts stash to gather things needed to scratch this puppy. The interior will mostly be done with sprue and the like, but I started searching for round things to make these........
Steyr 2000A- 02.jpg
Ohhh, The cable reels in the trunk. I got lucky and found 4 old idler wheels from a tank (no idea which one) that were the right size, but I needed 8. I then found a bunch of road wheels (from the same kit?) and picked out 4 of the best ones. They will need drilling and sanding to work. Ok, that prob solved.
I then downloaded the handbook, in German, for the FR (Fern Rakete=Long Range Rocket) troops and spent a few hours reading it through. Quite interesting I must say. I'm not sure (didn't check) if it is translated into English though.........
Alright Folks, I won't bore you with any more Blah Blah. I hope to drive on soon and I wish you all a stress free week to boot!!! Thanks again and..................

Prost
Allen

First Name
Kevin
Fascinating research, like you say, the more you dig the bigger the project gets.
A very good thing that you're a master at the scratchery!

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hello Mr Dewire...glad to see this one transferred over to the new site...and to see some fabulous updates and details going forward. I will definitely be keeping my eye on this one as well..glad to know that your mojo is high....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Rocketeers,

Normally I don't get any table time during the week, but today I came home a half hour earlier and played for an hour. Tomorrow, a 9 hour drive to pick up our quad from Düren and then Stammtisch in the evening..........

Kevin - Thanks, but I'm no master at scratchery and I do enjoy researching a bit. The information that's been made public today is a far cry from what we had 15 years ago. This project isn't going to grow any bigger, Just more expensive I think!!! I'm glad you like it Sir!

Joe - Hey buddy, how are you??? I am going to live this dream come hell or high water. It may take a while, but I really do want to finish this one and finally scratch that old itch from so long ago. Thanks for looking in and we don't need to be so formal....I thought I was pulled over by the state police with your opening line!!! Take care...

In my hour of table time today I wanted to work further on the Steyr 2000A. As it is the late body style, there was one big modification to the rear of the body and the trunk area and a small one in the interior. If you are familiar with the Tamiya kit, the sides of the body are rounded at the back and then form the rear panel for the trunk doors. The right trunk door also had a recessed area for the door handle which was typical for the 1500A. The 2000A rear looked like this...........
Steyr 2000A- 11.jpg
Squared off sides and no recess for the door handle. This is an alternate way to mount a cable reel and it is also easy to remove as this space was normally used to mount the push/pull wagon used to rewind the cables. The spoked wheels (L & R) are for that wagon. Soooooooo!!!

I busted out the razor saw (Thanks Dzhon) and whacked off some more stuff on the poor Tamiya kit. The rounded body sides are history, but that's not all to this conversion..........
IMG_1333.JPG
We now have to get the rest of the rear end to work with the squared sides. That meant we had to butcher the rear deck a little bit too...............
IMG_1334.JPG
Now everything is looking pretty square and we can concentrate on making a new back panel for the trunk doors. Oh yea, we had to do some work on those too. Using a flat tipped blade, I removed the detail on the rear doors that wasn't needed. Used a small piece of sheet styrene, sanded the edges and glued it in the recess. Then I sawed the doors apart at a 45° angle so the right door holds the left in place. A little putty will smooth out the recess edges. I also fixed the floor inside where the spare tire was and again a small piece of sheet worked well. This the location of the 6 KVA generator. Ummmm.......................
IMG_1336.JPG
Yup, I took the plunge and ordered the Zundapp generator kit and a set of late Opel Blitz 3000A wheels from Leadwarrior. I'm waiting for the confirmation and total cost with postage so I can pay.........It looks like I'll be eating Hamburger Helper without the hamburger meat for another month.......Gotta love it........

Have a great night and thanks for having a look!!!

Prost
Allen (going hungry)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My one son lived on Ramen in college, suck it up for the dream/hobby. Those cable spools look the same as those found on the 88 cruciform bogies. Maybe do a SimonT type mold one from the stash to duplicate many. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Great stuff. Your research really does you credit. Well worth a bit of starvation.
Jim

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
That is a super Work in Progress... love the details.... MOORE ...MOOOOORE
:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
Looking excellent buddy Paul or Scottie is fine I have answered to far worse .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic work Allen...you're keeping Steve and Simon company or they're emitting some kind of virus with symptoms of scratching which has affected you. :smiling:

Cheers,
Richard

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Very interesting build!:thumb2:

You have my attention, I'll be watching!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Allen,
Having trouble keeping up with what’s what round here. Your attention to this project does you credit and it’s gonna be a cracker when it’s done

Keep rolling brotha
Si

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hello mate

Cable reels?? Did you not make some yourself on another build? If I remember they looked really good. Will you be doing the same here?

Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Folks And Those Passed Out On The Couch Too,

Wow, Thank you so much for the positive comments on my madness. It keeps me going with destroying plastic parts and the like. But first….

Paul - Hey My friend, I love this hobby and your new Avatar too. The Moses (or Hippie) look suits you well I must say. I have the Dragon 88 Flak 37 3n1 kit and it has the cable reels I need. I wasn't going to bust up a brand new kit just for the reels plus I have no clue about resin casting either. scratch it is.....

Wouter - Danke General Oberst, mehr kommt noch...

Jim(bo) - Thanks Sir, I'm glad you're following this. I am loving the research even if it is so time consuming. Did you bring some food with you???...

Ross - Thank you too for checking in. Hope all is ok on your side...

Greg - Give an old guy a chance brother. I'm not a fast Moggeller like you. Those details need a bit of time to make between cold ones.....Uhhhh, I mean old fingers!!! Thanks too....

Scottie - Hey, we'll stick with what we know my friend and I would never call you anything else. It is so much fun doing this scratchy stuff now. Do you have a new project in mind yet Sir???

Richard - Thanks Sir and I have always had a passion for scratchy, but that waned over the years. Back in the day, you had to make things you needed because it was the only way to build what you wanted to. There were no real AM stuff in the '60s - '70s. Simon is a real influence and has brought me back into the scratchy modus with his madness!!! I know he has affected Steve and some others too. Ain't it Great!!!!!!!!!!

Gavin - Welcome aboard Sir, grab a seat and a cold one and I hope I don't put you to sleep with my madness. More follows….

Si - I know my friend, I find it a bit hard to keep up and keep track of the great stuff here. Thanks for being here and I still have 2 days to do something (holiday on Monday)….You're stuck with me!!!...

Stevie Wonder - No Sir, the cable reels came with the kit. It was the Roden 1/72 Vomag with 88 Flak for the Braille GB for Robin. I just filled the reels with wire because they were empty. On this build I will use what I have, the tank idlers and will scratch the rest. Then fill them with wire and make some caps out of plastic disks….

I had some pretty good table time today to drive on with the Steyr 2000A. Went through my sheet stock and found some really thin stuff and some that was a tick thicker to do some more dicing and slicing. First up was the filler strips for the wheel wells and then the new rear panel………...
IMG_1337.JPG
Ok, so the strips do look kinda funny, but the rear frame came out square for a change on the first try. I'm happy and it can only get better I hope.
Next up was the bottom strip on the rear panel. It took a bit of trimming to get the doors to seat and I won in the end...………...
IMG_1339.JPG
Sorry for the blur as I had the body standing on end on the table and the iPad couldn't handle taking the pic...The top of the bottom frame piece needs some love too.
Now it was time to try out the fit of all the crap plastic sheet I've been hacking up...……………..
IMG_1341.JPG
It looks pretty good and no, they are not overgrown mud flaps behind the wheel wells. The rear panel fit really well and has squared sides like the later model Steyr. A little gentle sanding to smooth the edges and that's it. Here, you also get an idea how the thin strips of sheet fill in the wheel wells. When the floor is glued to the body, The sheet will be fixed with TET to the body sides to enclose the wells.
A view inside shows how the strips cover the wells. You won't see 95% of the wheel wells from the inside as the equipment covers everything up……………...
IMG_1342.JPG
Tomorrow is a new day and there is so much to do. I haven't received an answer from Leadwarrior yet after 5 days. I might have to scratch the Zundapp generator after all. (OMG) Once again I thank you all for looking in and your support. Have a super weekend and sling lots of glue to plastic!!!
Prost
Allen