Vallejo acrylics (oh and Humbrol acrylics)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So after a lot of research I've decided on a life changing move.

No I'm not changing my name to Jane, (although in the interest of remaining PC, if that's your game I'm very happy for you!) but no, I've decided to slowly replace my paints with acrylics. There, I've said it so have to do it now.

A couple of questions. As I only use Humbrol enamel paints (which are great) does anyone use their acrylic paint ? I can find no mention of it on this forum - is it that bad ?

However I'm sort of attracted to Vallejo. But there are two types, model air for air brushes and model colour for normal (brushes) use. The problem I have here is, this implies if I wanted dark green, I would need to but both types of Vallejo, one for the Ab and one for the normal brush - is this correct ? What do you Vallejo users do ? Can I just buy the Vallejo model colour and thin with water for the AB ?

I noticed the Vallejo piants come in a 'dropper style' bottle. So I imagine a simple shake of the bottle is all that's needed to mix the paint.

This is a big move for me and I feel like I'm starting in the hobby all over again........I think I feel a bit lost !!

Regards

Colin M.........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the club.

I too have gone over to Vallejo and have not looked back! So I now have a huge collection of both!!! Some things are just better colour wise with Humbrol Enamel so they get used from time to time..

About the Two types of Vallejo: I use the Model color range. They are perfectly capable of being airbrushed, you just have to thin them. Some use the special thinner, others water. I use distilled water. Never had problems with it. After a paint session I give the airbrush a good clean with an airbrush cleaner just to get all the residues out. Other than that it gets flushed with water between colours. Small details can be brush painted. (as indeed whole kits can).

Model Air is as you said, airbrush ready. Shake and spray. I have not used them but I can imagine that they could be a challenge to apply with a brush due to the thin translucent aspect!

Oh just one thing more: Its not a quick shake. Shake the crap out of them! Some of them require more shaking than others due to the pigments settling out.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi Colin, i was the same as you in using Humbrol paints but tried Vallejo and never looked back. Not tried "Model Air" yet but yes the normal stuff with water work's great (for me) with an AB, shake of the bottle and away you go. Not tried Humbrol acrylics yet so can't answer on that but i have used Revell acrylics from time to time for dry brushing the're not to bad.

And i change me name to Joanne, but only at weekends lol.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, as you know I only use brushes and I find Vallejo Model Colour Acrylics are superb. Like Ian, I have used distilled water for thinning, I use tap water now as I found no difference in the painting.

So I now use the distilled water in my iron when I'm getting the creases out of my dress to look nice when I become Yvette and meet Joanne in Mansfield at the weekend!!!!!

I have never used Humbrol acrylics so can't comment.

I did try Tamiya acrylics for a while, but were no good for brush work, so they went in the bin!

I use Humbrol enamels for detail stuff.

Ron (aka Yvette)

First Name
Dave
Im still stuck in the past and mostly use Humbrol enamels.But i use Vallejo Matt clear for the final coat and cant speak highly enough of it.Far better than any enamel matt clear ive tried.I recently airbrushed a model entirely with acrylics and am very pleased with the result .Although on the advice of Ian M i primed the model with enamel light grey first.By the way,i like the name Jane.Dont hear it much these days.Its Chardonay,Chantelle,Mercedes down here in Essex innit!.

T

tecdes

Used Model Air Colin for the last five months after turning my back on Humbrol Enamel.

Easy to use decant directly into the airbrush cup. Thin in the airbrush cup using a brush to mix. Most important for me they give the desired finish but that is all very a matter of opinion & taste.

As mentioned in another article this week I have found Wicked Colour thinners works much better than Vallejo thinners. But then that may be my airbrush an H & S Evolution.

For hand brushing where I am using the same colour for airbrushing I place the amount needed in a small pallet & then leave for a short while or put a hair dryer under the pallet for a few seconds to thicken. It is then easy to use as an ordinary brush paint. Depending on the colour you may have to apply an additional coat compared to Model.

Have been stocking up slowly on Vallejo Model which are essentially produced as a hand brush paint. The annoying thing is that Vallejo do conversion charts for virtually every other paint under the sun but not one which compares Model & Model Air. The only downside I have found about this company.

The model air essentially caters for aircraft colours although Model has a greater range of colours.

If you have decided on Vallejo go to their web site. They have the most informative stuff on all their products with advice on airbrushing & painting. Best information site I have come across in modelling so far.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin

As the guys have said go with the Model Air it's easy to use and can be sprayed straight out of the bottle. It dries very quickly and gives a fantastic finish. Model Colour I find is too thick even when you thin it but is good for brush work. So take the plunge and go with the Model Air.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin

Forgot to mention if you do go for the Model Air it is very important to shake the bottle very well as the pigment does tend to settle at the bottom of the pot.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Colin Forgot to mention if you do go for the Model Air it is very important to shake the bottle very well as the pigment does tend to settle at the bottom of the pot.

Vaughan
I think this applies to all model paints and varnishes. Shake or stir until you think it's okay and then do it again before use!

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I just wish the other companies like Tamiya, Xtracrylix and Humbrol would take a leaf out of Vallejo's book and put their paint in easy dispenser/dropper bottles. I'm fed up with pouring too much out of a bottle.

Humrol acrylics are ok to spray. Give a decent finish but i found they clogged my airbrush a little. But that could have been down to me not thinning enough. I tend to stick to Tamiya, Xtracrylicx and Vallejo (both ranges) now

B

Bill's Bunker

Vallejo paints...

Hi Chaps,

Not been here for a long time, go interested in electronics and microcontrollers for a time. I have always used Tamiya acrylics, but don't really find them consistent and getting the paint out of those screw top jars is a real pain.

So I think I might begin to give Vallejo a try, also some of you seem to have answered my next question what's a good MATT varnish and some of you again say Vallejo, if it needs thinning what with and what ratio! I have IPA that I use with Tamiya' acrylics or distilled water?

Perhaps now I am back in the hobby, I'll be here more often!!

Regards

Mel @Bill's Bunker.

T

tecdes

\ said:
I just wish the other companies like Tamiya, Xtracrylix and Humbrol would take a leaf out of Vallejo's book and put their paint in easy dispenser/dropper bottles. I'm fed up with pouring too much out of a bottle. Just for today Allyne I will be your saviour.

Go to Bottles > Home > SHC Web

Take your pick. I got a selection & they are cheap.

Laurie

Just adding. Best check out that the above paints do not hold the acetone etc. Vallejo & Revell acrylics I have stored in these bottles & they are OK.

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Mel

The vallejo matt varnish is good. If you do need to thin it use the Model Air thinners not Model Colour thinners which I made the mistake of using at first as it doesn't thin the varnish. As far as ratio you just need to experiment I put just a few drops of the thinner in it doesn't change the adhesive quality of the paint.

Vaughan.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Many thanks Laurie

R

Richy C

If I can add a little bit , I use the iwata cr and br airbrushes , with the cr having a 0.5 needle model air works great straight from the bottle with no problems but with the br which has a 0.3 nozzle model air can sometimes clog if the weather is humid or warm, to get over this I add a little vallejo thinner to the paint and remove the nozzle cap and with a bit of tissue with airbrush cleaner on it clean the needle tip after every spray , as the lads have already said the normal vallejo model range works fine for airbrushing once thinned , the ratio I tend to use when airbrushing this range is roughly 50 50 and I mean roughly and run anything from 10 to 25 psi pending what I`m spraying , what with needle size airbrush pressure you will soon find what works for you

welcome to the world of acrylics

Richy

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Richard

I'm glad that someone has had similar problems. I have a BR 0.3 and have had issues with it regarding the weather. I thought I was the only one and into the bargain as I said in my last post I was using the wrong thinners Model Colour not model Air. I find that if I work in the early morning or in the evening, when it's cooler, the BR works better. I've yet to try the thinners.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Ref Model Air. Vallejo recommend that apart from shaking you also vigorously roll the bottle on the work top. Do this intermittently with shaking & not had any problems. Vallejo Model is more of a handful as it weighs about a third more than Model Air & obviously has more body & needs more shaking etc also the reason it has to be thinned for airbrushing.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well thank you all for this most comprehensive response - it's not a bad forum at all is it really !!

A special thanks goes to Joanne, Yvette. Ladies :laughing:

So, there's loads of info for me to slowly take in but again thanks to all who responded, time to splash some cash and bin the thinners.

Regards

Colin M..........