Vallejo Model Paint

D

dubster72

\ said:
I rarely apply more than 1 coat of varnish over Vallejo Model Air before decalling. A second sealing coat goes on after decalling before I do a wash.
I never bothers me at all whether the base coat is gloss, has a slight sheen or is matt. The Tiffy main camo (see in the 2015 24 scale 'Super SIG) has a sheen sufficient to take a wash or decals (AKI acrylics) while the invasion stripes are matt, very matt in the case of the black (Vallejo Model Air). I will be painting in the roundels and these will have different finishes but at the end before I decal it will all get a coat of gloss varnish.
Well I guess that's fine for you Barry, but people on here & other forums have often reported difficulties with decalling & washes, hence my reasoning for applying the gloss coats.

And as I said, in my experience, one coat of any gloss coat isn't sufficient over matt paint. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong!

L

Laurie

\ said:
I rarely apply more than 1 coat of varnish over Vallejo Model Air before decalling. A second sealing coat goes on after decalling before I do a wash.
I agree Barry just one coat of varnish before decals.Especially the Polyurethene which also gives a more robust finish if a number of events are to take place on the gloss varnish. Where practical I cut out the border that silver and on the Merlin 1/48 I did not have to varnish at all. With the small decals the border did not show up. I think it helps if you have a nice smooth base coat you diminish the risk of silvering. Wet and dry between coats.

On washes I now apply directly to the matt coat but I do practice before doing that. If I have erred I just panic and get a big brush and using water remove. Making sure the base coat has had as long as possible to cure really hard. Also I am using Lifcolor washes just thinning the matt paint down to suit. Find that way I get a better effect. Also cheaper. Not constructed a 1/24 so techniques, I suspect, will be amended for that scale.

Laurie

D

Dave Garrett

so many different ideas of which paint is the best i was going to change my paints to model colour but the missus said if it's causing you to much stress to decide just stick with the ones you have so i'm taking her advice and sticking to Revell Aqua Colour and Humbrol Acrylics also using enamel for things like rear lights, indicators, tinted windows, and fluorescent colours i say go with what you prefer it sounds like a dodgy bottle to me and they are not cheap vallejo

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
so many different ideas of which paint is the best i was going to change my paints to model colour but the missus said if it's causing you to much stress to decide just stick with the ones you have so i'm taking her advice and sticking to Revell Aqua Colour and Humbrol Acrylics also using enamel for things like rear lights, indicators, tinted windows, and fluorescent colours i say go with what you prefer it sounds like a dodgy bottle to me and they are not cheap vallejo
We all want to improve our builds but ive found if you have a way and it works for you stick to it because if it works for you it can't be wrong can it :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Keith, I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast! Ask 10 modellers their opinion & you'll get 10 different answers!

When I got back into modelling after a lay-off, I needed new paints just like you. And like you, I wanted ones that would double for both hand brushing & airbrushing.

So after sounding out forums, I decided to give Vallejo Model Colour a try, for all the positive reasons as expressed in this thread. However, I found MC impossible to airbrush due to clogging. No amount of thinning or flow enhancer helped. So now after that expensive mistake , I have 20-odd bottles that I rarely use, & have gone back to my trusty enamels.

If you want to try Vallejo MC, I'd be happy to send you a few bottles. You just cover the postage. At least someone would get some use from them, instead of them gathering dust!

Cheers

Patrick

D

Dave Garrett

i would appreciate a couple of bottles as a trial please patrick thats if the other guy doesn't want them thanks also i heard a rumor that they where slowly phasing out enamels weather it's true or not i don't know

D

dubster72

\ said:
i would appreciate a couple of bottles as a trial please patrick thats if the other guy doesn't want them thanks also i heard a rumor that they where slowly phasing out enamels weather it's true or not i don't know
WHAAAT!! they'd better not! :mad:

I'll PM you what colours I've got when I'm back home & you can decide which you'd prefer mate.

D

Dave Garrett

thank you i have a few quid to in a couple of days so depending on what you want for them i might take them all off your hands thank you again

L

Laurie

\ said:
they where slowly phasing out enamels
Yes I heard that as well Patrick :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Laurie:D

Sorry Patrick just could not help myself.

D

Dave Garrett

It doesn't matter what colours they are it will be a start to my collection mate will just have to sort out payment now

D

Dave Garrett

I have downloaded the Vallejo conversion chart so I will just tick the colours that you send me off that lol

K

Keith Mayes

\ said:
Keith, I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast! Ask 10 modellers their opinion & you'll get 10 different answers!
Cheers

Patrick
Yes, that is clearly the case. I will just plug away with trial and error and find one that suits me. I had some Humbrol acrylic delivered today and will give that a go in a few minutes, when I have finished my cup of tea.

D

Dave Garrett

I like humbrol but I don't know what it's like at covering old work

K

Keith Mayes

Okay, I have applied the first top coat of white Humbrol acrylic on my Apollo Saturn V and WOW! What a difference compared to the Vallejo. I took advice and thinned it down, with water, and tested it on a plastic coke bottle until I was happy with the flow. I poured out a small amount of paint and added water by the brush load, a 1/2" flat sable, until I was happy. It has gone on beautifully, smooth and even and no brush marks and the sort of coverage one would expect. What a relief, I was getting disheartened, but back on track now. Why I have so much trouble with the Vallejo I will never know.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I like humbrol but I don't know what it's like at covering old work
It's the same with any paint but being white you will need more coats if it's going over darker paint and don't forget the more paint the more layers and loss of detail

I personally would strip it back and start again I find that saves a whole more agro in the long run :smiling3:

D

dubster72

I'm glad the Humbrol has worked out well for you Keith. I'm still of a mind that you had a bad bottle of Vallejo.

Are you still wanting some, or for now happy to give the Humbrols a good workout?

K

Keith Mayes

\ said:
I'm glad the Humbrol has worked out well for you Keith. I'm still of a mind that you had a bad bottle of Vallejo.
Are you still wanting some, or for now happy to give the Humbrols a good workout?
Thanks for the kind offer Patrick but I will stick with the Humbrol for now. Yes, I must have got a duff bottle, but how odd, the very first one I get is duff when others have used it for years. Maybe it got frozen or something. I have a mind to cut open the bottle and see if it has a solid lump of paint stuck to the base. Never mind, I have moved on now and happy again.

L

Laurie

\ said:
until I was happy.
I think we are all relieved Keith :D :D:D

Actually I think in the past few days you have probably learnt more than a book could have given you.

You probably thought, as Patrick has alluded to all giving different answers, that we are all mostly very dim. Rest easy Keith you were perfectly right. :rolleyes:

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Whilst on the subject of paint and the shaking there of. If you are tired of getting pains in the wrist and elbows. worried looks from the wife as she enters the room behind you and all that, time to consider a shaker...

One I have seen that is simple to make and works involves a Bayonet saw and a film tub. You remember, those small pots with a tight fitting lid that 35mm film rolls were packed in.

Take an old blade and drill two holes, Pop rivet the plastic container to the blade. a bit of foam rubber in the bottom of the pot, pop paint in more foam in the top. put lid on and squeeze the trigger.... I guarantee that the paint WILL get the living be'jesus shook out of it. Oh make sure that the lid is very firmly closed on the paint as well!

Ian M