Vallejo Test.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Following Andy's discussion on his thread about having trouble using Vallejo I had a search on U Tube

Armed with this I set to this morning to do some test of my own.
I used H&S ULTRA WITH A .4 NEEDLE
and the INFINITY WITH A .15
Paints were .
2019_3.jpg
and
2019_4.jpg

First thing was to clean each both AB's fully so no traces of old paint. Using a AS-186 Compresser set at 20 psi.
The magic ingredient and NO thinners .
2019_7.jpg

Before the test I took a sheet of plastic card, washed it in washing up liquid and rinsed it in clean water and dried.

The tests began, first off Vallejo Model Air
I mixed approx 50 /50, and loaded up the Ultra with the .4 needle.

2019_10.jpg

Ten changed to the .15 needle
2019_11.jpg

No clogging at any time ! That should have read .15

Now the test for the Vallejo Model Colour, this one I thought would be the one to really test as its mainly used for brush work.

Starting with the .4 Ultra.

2019_13.jpg
Then some lines. still .4

2019_14.jpg

Finally the 1.5 needle in the INFINITY.

2019_15.jpg
Again should have read .15
My thoughts were maybe I added slightly more more flow improver than I might have needed, next time I shall use 40 /60 .
The main thing is at no point did the tip dry out, or stop spraying, I even left the gun in between moving the card around and changing to the smaller tipped AB.
Normally I would use no more than a couple of drop of the improver per 10 drops of paint, and then use 5 to 6 drops of thinners, and it still might stop and gum up.

I would appreciate any of you guys having a go with out the thinners just the improver and see what results you get.
Certainly something I will do in future with a little play with the amounts. Hope other Vallejo users find it helpful .

John.

Attachments

• 2019_9.jpg
    2019_9.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2019_12.jpg
    2019_12.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi John

I actually Vallejo's Airbrush & Weathering Techniques Book by Rob Ferreira (he's a brilliant modeler BTW). He's got some great advice in there so I will try and dig it out. I'll try and have a play too but it might be for a while.

My Brit SCC 15 is done using only Model Colour and obviously so have to thin it quite a bit. In normal size batches (up to about 5ml), I normally use 1 drop Vallejo flow improver, 1 drop W&N retarder and then the balance in thinner until it is at the right consistency. In large batches for bulk spraying probably normally add an extra drop or two of flow aid and retarder.

I use either a Tamiya Fine AB with a 0.2mm needle for finer work or a Revell Vario with a 0.7mm needle for large volume spraying and so far no issue with clogging and not much dry tip either.

HTH for the time being and thanks for your efforts.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Certainly better results than I've ever got with it John. I can never get Model Air to spray well enough to get any kind of line, looks more like a Morse Code message! :smiling5:

Will give it a go myself and let you know how I get on, thanks.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John

I actually Vallejo's Airbrush & Weathering Techniques Book by Rob Ferreira (he's a brilliant modeler BTW). He's got some great advice in there so I will try and dig it out. I'll try and have a play too but it might be for a while.

My Brit SCC 15 is done using only Model Colour and obviously so have to thin it quite a bit. In normal size batches (up to about 5ml), I normally use 1 drop Vallejo flow improver, 1 drop W&N retarder and then the balance in thinner until it is at the right consistency. In large batches for bulk spraying probably normally add an extra drop or two of flow aid and retarder.

I use either a Tamiya Fine AB with a 0.2mm needle for finer work or a Revell Vario with a 0.7mm needle for large volume spraying and so far no issue with clogging and not my dry tip either.

HTH for the time being and thanks for your efforts.

ATB

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, it's great to share these tips.

Certainly better results than I've ever got with it John. I can never get Model Air to spray well enough to get any kind of line, looks more like a Morse Code message! :smiling5:

Well no doubt some one will say its wrong Andy, but hey it sprays, as I said just a matter now of perfecting that amount. Hope to see your results later, and it worked.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Andy

I know Model air doesn't need much thinning and I KNOW the book I mentioned above gives the specific mix the author uses, so I'll have a look tonight.

I also know he normally recommends quite low pressure normally around 10-12 psi.

HTH

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very interesting John. Did the paint dry hard with that much flow improver in it?
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very interesting John. Did the paint dry hard with that much flow improver in it?
Pete
Not too bad Pete, it certainly took long enough where I had really laid it down .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was worried about the drying time after I saw someone on youtube using glycerine as a flow improver. Glycerine doesn't evaporate or harden - I know, I used to use it as windscreen wash antifreeze, but it made a sticky mess of my car!

Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I persevered with Vallejo and an airbrush for quite some time, but was forever getting tip drying. Not all the time, but there was not pattern to it. I've changed to MRP for out side colours and love the stuff.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm determined to get it to spray, it must work, been around long enough.

1576587761217.png

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice tips John.

Ever since I first bought Vallejo Model air at the LHS I use it with Vallejo airbrush thinner.
Model air can go straight on at 30Psi and a 0.4 needle, although the finish can be a bit rough…

I usually thin it in a 10/3 ration (10 drops paint 3 drops thinner) for 0.4 work at 20Psi.
And a 5/5 ratio for 0.2 or 0.15 needles work at 20Psi too.

Only with the smaller needles the tip dry thing comes up, especially in the summer but a quick swipe with a wet brush solves that.
HTH

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank Fernando.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Happy to help, although I made a mistake in yesterday's post.
The ratio for the smaller sizes should be 5/5, edited now:rolling:...

Reactions: JR