Varnish and Paint - For an Airbrush

L

Lady_Phoenix

When I was a kid I was taught to use Varnish to create a matt/satin/gloss effect where I was unable to to get the exact paint.

For example, if you had a matt black and you needed gloss black just use matt black and a top coat of gloss varnish. Likewise you could turn a gloss colour to matt with a top coat of matt varnish.

Does the still apply today.

Why do I ask? Well 2 reasons.

1) I need a matt orange for some chaff dispensers. Im trying to use humbrol where possible and I own a gloss orange (no 18). In matt they do an Orange Lining which doesnt appear an exact shade match. Could I just use the Gloss I already own and apply a matt varnish over the top.

2) Its the old Airbrush thing. Im getting on really well with acrylics now. I need a Glossy Grey (no. 5) whch again is not available in Acrylic, only enamel. Could I get the matt acrylic equiv. ad spray a top coat of gloss varnish?

If the varnish trick works do I thin i the usual way. I thin down with water on a 2:1 basis as per humbrol instructions and getting on very well. In fact what I actually do is tip the paint from the plactic pot (12ml) into a new glass jar. Add 6ml water to the plastic pot and give it a damn good shake and then add that to the jar. (Being a hoarder I then wash out and keep the plastic pot, to use for mixing paints later). I then give the jar a damn good shake (I usually do this while watching TV and I find if I shake for the entire length of an advert break it works for me), label up the jar and pop away ready for use when I need it.

I find that 6ml if water added to 12ml of paint doubles the volume of paint (Its the old tonne of feathers and tonne of lead thing) and works for 99.99% of the paint.

Anyway, waffling now

Can I use varnish to change the finish of a paint.

Do I thin varnish down for airbrush use in the same way as normal paint.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
The short answer is yes you can use varnish to change paints I watched this the other day and learnt a lot DVD - AFV Acrylic Techniques sorry my reply is a little short but I'm using my iPhone and it takes me ages to type everything but I'm sure someone else will give you a full answer :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As you may or may not have figured out I use Vallejo Acrylics most of the time. Apart from a gloss white and a gloss black every thing else is matt. You can either give it a top coat of varnish to get the lustre you need or you can add a medium into the mix. They do a gloss, satin and matt (go figure). Just add a few drops into the colour and you have every colour they make in all three finishes. Smart.

I tend to use the Gloss one most of all. I fine that just a drop or two gives a nice silky satin finish. More than 50% and ist getting quite near to glossy. HOWEVER, theres always a catch. It also makes the paint translucent. Not always a good thing. I know others that mix the Vallejo Varnish into the paint.

Hope thats some help.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I just spray the relevant varnish over the painted part/area. I too use the Vallejo varnishes (matt and satin) as I've never had any trouble with them. For gloss I use Klear.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

As above, varnish can be added to or used over paint to get the gloss/matt and not to forget, satin effect. That DVD for Acrylic is on my wish list to, got a very good review in a national modelling magazine.

M

m1ks

Bit of an aside from the intial Q re varnishes.

However, if you want to make a gloss acryl matte, just get some Tamiya flat base, (X21 i think), it's a greyish looking gloopy stuff which mattes, (is that a word?) paint or clearcoat, also works with Klear.

As a rough guide the measurements I use are

FB to paint

30% = Dead flat

20% = Satin

10% = Semi Gloss

0% = Gloss, (well, duhhh) :smiling3:

I use a small syringe to get the ratios, something like a kiddie med syringe from the chemist would be fine or a medicine measuring cup, (which also make great paint mixing pots)