Varnish drying times.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon guys, done the first oil wash and weathering I've left it over night, how long should I leave before re varnishing.
Seems dry but I can't remember how long its suggested to wait.
Thank you .
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
In my limited experience oils take longer than you think to dry completely. They seem dry but ..... :rolling: It does depend on whether you use a light box and what dilutant you use but personnally I would not put on a varnish coats for a couple of days.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jim I'd used Daler Rowney
Thus is what it looks like now.
IMG_20190428_141255571.jpg
I'd given the surface a good dreaching with a weak mix of the oil wash , as water would have been flowing over the front esp. Going in time do a second coat on places of gloss time look like wetness, and a mat else where.
John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you have applied oil "neat" then you are looking at weeks for it to dry completely. However within a week it would be dry enough to apply a varnish. If you have done oil washes with thinner then it could well be dry enough to apply a varnish within a day (24hrs - not overnight). I personally allow my builds to "cure " for two days before applying a varnish as I no longer apply oil neat and thus reduce the drying time of the model.

In the future add a little of the oil / oil wash to the underside of the model. Then once finished and when you think its dry enough for a varnish, touch the underside of the model and if you leave a mark on your finger than it still needs to dry a bit longer.

Nice work by the way

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you have applied oil "neat" then you are looking at weeks for it to dry completely. However within a week it would be dry enough to apply a varnish. If you have done oil washes with thinner then it could well be dry enough to apply a varnish within a day (24hrs - not overnight). I personally allow my builds to "cure " for two days before applying a varnish as I no longer apply oil neat and thus reduce the drying time of the model.

In the future add a little of the oil / oil wash to the underside of the model. Then once finished and when you think its dry enough for a varnish, touch the underside of the model and if you leave a mark on your finger than it still needs to dry a bit longer.

Nice work by the way
Thanks mate glad you approve.
This wash as very weak , but will leave it for another there day, I shall embed it tomorrow in the river !
JR

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm a bit new to the world of oils, but one tip I picked up on, was to place the oil onto a bit of cardboard first, as this draws some of the oil out. This helps speed up the drying process.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm a bit new to the world of oils, but one tip I picked up on, was to place the oil onto a bit of cardboard first, as this draws some of the oil out. This helps speed up the drying process.
Colin thank you, I shall try to remember all these hints and tips.:thumb2: