Hi

What is causing this surface?

Attachments

• 38D9A4D6-71C4-4C32-A05E-C2B9319E2EEC.jpeg
    38D9A4D6-71C4-4C32-A05E-C2B9319E2EEC.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 24
First Name
Wouter
you mean the orange peel finish? Depending on the paint/varnish used this is normal. Look at modern day cars, they all have it some way or another. Most modern day 'environmental friendly' waterbased paints have this, it's inherit to the paints. Unless you used a solvent based varnish, then I really don't have a clue.

Cheers

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
you mean the orange peel finish? Depending on the paint/varnish used this is normal. Look at modern day cars, they all have it some way or another. Most modern day 'environmental friendly' waterbased paints have this, it's inherit to the paints. Unless you used a solvent based varnish, then I really don't have a clue.

Cheers

Hi Wouter

I am using Tamiya paint with Mr Hobby B-513

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alexander
I’d say spraying from too far away and/or at too high a pressure. The varnish needs to flow out a little before the solvent flashes off. In this case the varnish has dried almost instantly on hitting the surface.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi Alexander
I’d say spraying from too far away and/or at too high a pressure. The varnish needs to flow out a little before the solvent flashes off. In this case the varnish has dried almost instantly on hitting the surface.

It's from a rattle can. Everyone else seems to get great finish with Mr Hobby varnish

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Could still be applied from too far away, or perhaps not enough varnish on the surface. Another point, is the can properly mixed? If you want a high gloss finish let it gas off for a few days then polish it with Tamiya polishing compound or similar to flatten the surface and bring out the gloss.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Could still be applied from too far away, or perhaps not enough varnish on the surface. Another point, is the can properly mixed? If you want a high gloss finish let it gas off for a few days then polish it with Tamiya polishing compound or similar to flatten the surface and bring out the gloss.
Thanks, i am glossing to apply pin washes.
I think i need to test spraying closers and wet sparying. I'll keep you posted

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That finish will be fine for a pin wash, the subsequent Matt varnish will hide the surface imperfections nicely.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never bin anything Alexander, getting to the end is part of the learning curve. You may have to work around a problem, or rethink the end point, or even on very rare occasions strip the finish and try again, but you will learn something every time. Let’s face it, If everything worked great first time we might as well be painting by numbers LOL.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
we might as well be painting by numbers
You seem to be implying we’re not …

15-HN-Ac-Airfix-Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6-1.72.jpg

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hey all!
Update time. I have found Mr Hobby gloss and matte do the job really nicely, so thank you all for your help.