Varnish Help.

John G Bishop

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all. I'm just back into the hobby for the first time in 35 years! I'm getting to the stage of painting a few models and I'm doing enamels with brush. I've read a lot about "silvering" on this forum and was wondering if I need to varnish? If I do varnish, what type of varnish do I use? My models are an ME109, a BEAUFIGHTER, and an AVRO VULCAN.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi John

It doesn't matter what type of models you have, they all (that i know of) react the same.

Gloss varnish - used to give a smooth, shiny surface. Ideal for decals as they give a flat surface for the decals to bond to and not allow air under. Not great for putting on weathering washes though as they come off easier.
Satin/Semi-gloss - used to give a smoothish surface but not shiny like gloss. This is a good surface for weathering washes as it 'grips' some of the wash and keeps it on there to give a more grimy look.
Matt - does hat it says. Makes the paint look matt. Very good for making something look old/well used. Not recommended for decals

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Alan has given a perfect answer :thumb2:

I just wanted to add this image, the first surface has a gloss finish, the second has a matt finish (this is like a microscopic view).
Imagine you would put a decal onto the rough matt surface, a lot of air would get underneath, causing silvering, that's why a decal on a matt surface isn't a good idea.
surface.jpg
Kind regards,
Steven