Vercingetorix. A 1/10 Bust by Young Miniatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lee - Thanks, and it's actually finished.

John - These are just the ordinary Vallejo Model Colour metallics - the only new Vallejo metallics I'm aware of are for the airbrush. I found it hard to get my head around water-soluble metallic paint at first, but I really like these.
Yes your right about being made for the airbrush, forgot that you you use a brush . Further research found this

" Brush painting of the Metal Colors is possible. It is best to apply the colors over a primer and apply a second primer coat for full coverage. While these paints self-level to the surface really well the Metal Color range was designed for airbrush application so when using a brush to apply on an entire model the final outcome over large areas may result in some uneven properties in the form of brush marks. " So would be a no then !
With thanks to the Michigan Toy Soldier for the quote .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Late in , apologies Sir .
Having forced my way to the front armed with sticky buns I shall push Steve over .

John.
Watch his wig in those sticky buns it could get messy

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry Peter
So much going on this week and last here my apologies. I have one word Elegant work and finish be proud of it

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well I think we have a contender for the best bust EVER!! You know I am a big fan of your Hindenburg bust but I think this one trumps it. The finished look is so lifelike. It's a joy to sit and look at the photos. Stunning work sir.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Superb finish, you have set an impossible standard for bust painters, it really is so realistic, and the metalwork is, as ever, top notch.

I shall rustle up the paints for the palette and give my bust a shot, though if the eyes aren't right, it really doesn't get much further!

As you are back to figures, it should hopefully slow you down to 1 & 1/2 a week!

One visit to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, the new knee is great the other knee is shot and need replacing!

It will have to wait until next year so I can got over the first op.

A side effect will be 3 months off, with some modelling, sounds like a plan for 2020.

Have a good day with the next figure.

Don't worry too much about replacing the Black red either, it seems to have been a fortuitous mishap

Regards

Steve H

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb result. I agree, this is one of your best. Said it before, you should work on the higher quality busts and figures more often. They bring out the best in your painting because you’re not trying to correct or overcome shortcomings in the sculpt.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Sounds like you can't brush em.

Lee - No problem. I was worried that you may have thought it looked unfinished.

Steve J - I don't see it as better than Hindy, but I take the compliment. Thank you.

Steve H - I did use a much simpler palette for the flesh, more out of laziness than anything, but it has worked, so it just goes to show.

And another knee op for you? Well I suppose that two good ones will be better than one. Seems like you have to go through a long old process each time, but at least you'll get some bench time. Struggling with my new varifocals at the moment - can't see a thing.

Jim - I must admit that this was partially an experiment in seeing what difference a better bust would make to my painting. I've never really bought the 'buy the best you can afford' thing, but a good bust will almost paint itself and a realistic sculpt does make a difference. Only trouble is I can't afford this type of thing too often.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Apologies for not commenting earlier, but I have just had a catch up. Very nicely painted, personally I think the face is one of your best to date.