Vercingetorix. A 1/10 Bust by Young Miniatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Perhaps we'll agree to differ on that point?!!

Today's session:

100_4537.JPG100_4538.JPG

I decided to paint the main part of the helmet as bronze, using layers of Vallejo Bronze, Old Gold and plain Gold. I did initially paint the wings black, but they looked terrible once mounted, so I ended up giving them the same finish.

I also made him a torc from twisted wire and beads pinched from my daughter's jewellery box.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Andy -Thank you.

Steven - Glad you like him.

Neil - No offence taken. I really don't see it though, as one who is always disappointed with the finish he achieves. I may be over-critical of my work, but I'd hate to be complacent and not want to improve.

The face is actually very similar to a couple of other Life Miniature faces I've done, and I do agree that sometimes their and many other's characters can be too good looking.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Late in , apologies Sir .
Having forced my way to the front armed with sticky buns I shall push Steve over .

John.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - No fighting now.

He's done:

100_4539.JPG100_4540.JPG100_4544.JPG100_4545.JPG100_4546.JPG

I started today by painting the cuirass, which, like the helmet, was done with mixes of bronze, old gold and pure gold over a black base. The pendant turned out not to be the best bit of sculpting on the figure, so I decided to make a new one and paint on a Celtic design in gold. The arms were a nightmare - so much bare flesh, aaargh! - but I'm reasonably happy with how they turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nap

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kevin
Hi Peter

Nice to see you painting this , thought you might have left off the helmet wings but your shout , like the fleshwork on both face and arms and the torque is a good addition , like the armour effects as well ...a good addition

Just as a matter of interest ...how long did this take you ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Wow what a feast for my eyes as i checked in.Mr.V is another stunner.Especially like the metalwork which is sublime.Mighty fine painting buddy.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Nap - Hi. The helmet looked too small without the wings, and not being much of a scratch builder and able to provide something else, I went with them. I've since done some refining to the flesh tones, as the photos always show up various flaws. It took three sessions of 5-6 hours each to complete, one reason I don't do too many busts - they don't represent such good value to me, time and money wise.

Richard - Pleased that you like him. I'm going to start on some of the figures you sent me in the recent batch of stuff. Managed to put together six full figures so far and will start with the 6th Army Feldwebel.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
I must agree with the crowd you’re doing a great job mind if I sit in?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter is any of this painted with the new Vallejo metals, I've been reading up on them, seems they are perfection.
Not the cheapest but bigger compared with the normal bottle size.
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Thanks, and it's actually finished.

John - These are just the ordinary Vallejo Model Colour metallics - the only new Vallejo metallics I'm aware of are for the airbrush. I found it hard to get my head around water-soluble metallic paint at first, but I really like these.