Verlinden 1:35 XM706E2 armoured car & Iwata airbrush test

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A while ago, I built Verlinden’s resin XM706E2 armoured car, the US Air Force security variant of the Cadillac-Gage V100 Commando. These photos are from when I had just finished it, dated 18 May 2006:

8E31709B-622B-4D8C-B483-9E9D3E8A1D3E.jpeg15359941-59D6-4695-9DAF-6B747453CAB6.jpeg

After that I sprayed it with Testors olive drab (the airbrush-ready type in a bag that they used to sell) and pencilled in the camouflage patches per Verlinden’s instructions:

6819A294-7592-4814-89BA-1F7652810B95.jpeg

However, that’s just about where things stalled. I began spraying the camouflage on the left side with a pale sand colour, and just couldn’t get it to go right. The airbrush spattered and gave far too much overspray and the paint covered very poorly, so I gave up for the time being, intending to finish it “soon” … I gave it one more try a few years go, but again had the same issue, so it sat in a box with a built-but-unpainted Trumpeter M706 (the same vehicle but with a machine-gun turret) for the last several years.

Last week, though, I purchased a new airbrush:

931E9630-F7B0-40B2-8D72-E2778828825A.jpeg

An Iwata HP A+, the one without a paint cup protruding above the airbrush body, to give me a good view of what I’m doing.

That left me trying to think of something to test it out on. I know, I could have sprayed stuff on cardboard or something, but I just can’t work that way. I have very little patience with abstract practice stuff that serves no actual purpose but to learn how to do something — I need a practical application to learn best. Then I remembered this model and dug it out to take the photo above.

After that I spent some time researching US Air Force aircraft camouflage of the Vietnam War, because general theory is that these cars were camouflaged with aircraft paints and colours. I decided to keep the olive drab base and add the brown and dark green over it, using colours I already had rather than ones that may be closer to the real thing. I settled on Mig British SCC 2 brown, a colour intended for British tanks of the Second World War, and Mr. Hobby RLM 81 dark green, a German aircraft colour of the same era.

5DBF422E-2003-4D92-97D9-89EF2CE9E261.jpeg

The Mig paint, despite being airbrush-ready, gave me a fair amount of trouble. It seems to clog up the airbrush at times, but then suddenly clear a bit again. It also gradually narrowed its spray pattern as the paint way clogged up, so that at times I had to pull the trigger back all the way to spray lines as fine as it would with the trigger only a little to the rear when I began. I also had to pull the needle back all the way more than once to try and clear the paint way (this is the purpose of the cut-out in the rear section of the airbrush body: so you can directly pull the needle to the rear, and further than the trigger allows).

It took me about three quarters of an hour yesterday to paint around half the brown patches, and then I decided I had had enough for the moment. At that point came the fun of cleaning the airbrush. I had bought the Iwata partly because it seems to be easy to clean: the instructions say to get the paint out, blow cleaner through the airbrush, remove the needle and clean it with a cloth, and you’re done.

That didn’t work for me as such. I tried water and isopropanol, but neither did anything to the semi-dry Mig paint. I eventually resorted to cellulose thinner, which did get it out. However, I still had to use an old paintbrush and a cloth to get the remains of the paint out of the cup.

Returning today, I found the needle was stuck in the airbrush. A bit of careful effort later, I got it pulled out, and there was brown paint on much of its forward half. I suppose paint seeped back into the needle path behind the paint cup when I was trying to clean the latter with the needle removed. Some more cellulose thinner on a cloth got the dried paint off the needle, and then I blew more of it through the airbrush just to make sure.

That done, I again put the Mig SSC 2 into the cup and finished spraying the brown patches. It seemed to work better now than yesterday, and I had the remaining half done quicker than before. At this point, I decided to again put cellulose thinner through the airbrush to clean out the brown, which worked well enough.

Next, I stirred the Mr. Hobby RLM 81 and put a few drops into the cup, followed by some drops of isopropanol to thin it. To mix the two, I put my finger on the nozzle, pulled the trigger back slightly and pressed down to blow bubbles in the paint cup. This seems to work pretty well, and given the small size of the cup it’s about the only way you can mix anything inside the airbrush, I think.

I found the Mr. Hobby paint to spray much better than the Mig, but the Mig to produce far less overspray. Compare them in this photo:

2532DAEB-10E3-4301-B1CE-2DE22B358DB2.jpeg

I suppose this is partly because of my inexperience with this airbrush. I tried adding more thinner and playing around with the air pressure, but I couldn’t really get the overspray to lessen much. More use, and trying more kinds of paint, will probably let me find ways to get this to improve.

All in all, I’m so far pleased enough with this airbrush. It’s certainly capable of much finer work than the Aztek 470 I’ve been using for the last 20+ years, but it handles differently enough that I need a fair amount more practice to discover how to best use it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
That's a fair old chunk of resin. Definitely time it came out of it's box. Glad you like the airbrush. I'm a real Iwata fan myself. As you say a bit of practice will make all the difference.
jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That's a fair old chunk of resin.
It’s the usual Verlinden style of a solid block of resin. I kind of want to weigh it now, as it’s one of the heavier models I can recall …

/me goes off to find some kitchen scales

The model, just the hull without its wheels, weighs 262 grammes. For comparison, I also weighed the Trumpeter M706 with its turret, but also without wheels, and it’s all of 46 grammes :smiling3:

Glad you like the airbrush. I'm a real Iwata fan myself. As you say a bit of practice will make all the difference.
I think I’ll go and do more practice tonight or tomorrow to touch up the overspray :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I went back and touched up the edges of the dark green today. This was simple for the brown patches, but the Testors olive drab I still had, was a solid mass so not much use for spraying … I ended up using Vallejo Model Air olive drab instead, which is slightly different in shade but not enough to be noticeable — especially since a darker wash will go over all of this.

Here is the same area as before, after doing that:

E1F065CC-61F6-4BE4-BACA-2EFF12E62E30.jpeg

I then went on to add highlights into the centres of panels and camouflage patches, for which I used Mig IDF Green on the olive drab, a 1:1 (more or less) mix of Mr. Hobby RLM 70 and 71 for the dark green (I made a mistake in my opening post, the dark green is RLM 71, not 81), and also a sort of 1:1 mix of Mig SSC 2 and Vallejo Model Air white (a bit less white than brown) for the brown patches. I mixed all of these inside the airbrush by just putting the paint into the cup and again bubbling air through it by clamping my finger over the nozzle.

D9F20395-A9CC-415A-ADFC-245BECE43940.jpeg

It doesn’t show up too well in the photo, but I wanted a fairly subtle effect. I may have used too much white, though, as the brown highlights are much more obvious than the other two.

And some views of the complete model:

2CB6E48C-8F71-426B-B7FE-CE8C43C0C19B.jpeg250E1564-A31F-4CA6-A452-82252D63C3C2.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Turning out nicely Jakko. And as the others have said that is a big link lump of resin.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
what size needle/nozzle is in the Iwata? It does take a lot of practice & attention to get consistent thin lines - my problem was not keeping the airbrush at 90 degrees to the surface. Of course, running a 0.2mm brush at low pressure creates it's own problems it takes much longer to spray small areas, and the longer time usually allows paint to dry on the airbrush tip!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Turning out nicely Jakko. And as the others have said that is a big link lump of resin.
Thanks, and yes, it’s one of those typical Verlinden kits because solid casting is cheaper than hollow (seriously, that’s why Verlinden cast all this stuff solid).

what size needle/nozzle is in the Iwata?
I have been wondering about that myself. It didn’t say when I bought it and I can’t find it anywhere. If anyone knows how to determine needle size, then please explain :smiling3:

It does take a lot of practice & attention to get consistent thin lines
It’s far easier with this one than with an Aztek, I can tell you :smiling3:

the longer time usually allows paint to dry on the airbrush tip!
I had some of that happen too, with the Mig paint. Luckily the nozzle cap is in two pieces, and if you unscrew the frontmost one (and take care not to drop it — it comes off more quickly than I expect it to, every time so far) and pull the needle back, you can just wipe any paint off from around the hole that the needle pokes through.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jakko. Is this the one?
The Iwata High Performance HP-B Plus is descended from the original HP series of airbrushes, it's a reliable performance airbrush featuring larger nozzle threads for added strength & better centering & now features a tapered paint cup for easy cleaning & more efficient paint flow.

The HP-B Plus with it's 0.2mm nozzle is suited to detail, high precision work & features a short paint path for quick & easy cleaning.

• Gravity fed, double action, internal mix airbrush
  • 0.2mm nozzle
  • 1.8ml paint cup
  • Adjustable trigger tension
  • Pre-set, cut-away handle
  • Solvent resistant Teflon needle seal
  • Hairline to 20mm spray pattern
  • 5 year standard warranty
  • 10 year extended UK warranty

Delivered in foam lined presentation case with instructions, nozzle spanner & 2ml Iwata Superlube.

• Optional 0.3mm parts available
  • Optional Crown Cap available

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have an HP-A+. The main difference seems to be that the B+ has an air adjustment knob underneath the front end, and that the A+ doesn’t come with a tube of lubricant and is no longer available from Iwata itself, so I can’t look up its specs there :sad:

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Look then that it has a 2 mm nozzle with the option of a 3.Bet they all have the 2 as standard .
Agree with you about trying out on a model rather than a flat surface like cardboard, far better. Now it's a matter of use to understand it characteristics .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It probably does, yes. I just found this page that says the A+ comes with an 0.2 mm nozzle too.

However, I’m not particularly fussed about specs like this — as long as it lets me spray what I want, it could be 0.2 mm, 2 mm or 2 dm for all I care :smiling3: Though I suppose it’s useful to know in case I ever want to buy another needle for wider or narrower spraying.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Update: I did a bit more painting on this over the last few weeks.

C4F095A6-D26E-4ABC-AD26-ABF6FA6EDABA.jpeg

After the camouflage, I applied an overall coat of Games Workshop Devlan Mud, a discontinued colour that’s essentially a pre-made, dark wash. I first tried spraying it into the wheel wells, where it wouldn’t show too much if that didn’t work, and it’s a good thing I did it that way: the paint drew together into droplets as it dried, rather than going into the seams and around details to shade them. As a result, I went back to my usual method of brushing it on, but because it dries fast, this leaves brush strokes that I took care to make vertical so they at least look like rain streaks. After that I drybrushed each camouflage patch with a light version of the same colour, to highly edges and detail.

I painted the tyres dark grey and gave them a thick wash of matt black, then painted red-brown into the tread pattern by hand. Once that had dried, I glued them to the axles, but the fit is very loose so I hope they stay on … I had to support them with Blu Tack so they didn’t fall off, and there was no hope of getting all four on the ground.

I haven’t got the faintest idea of what kind of markings should go on this, so I’ll have to do some research. And then try piecing together markings from what I have lying around, I suppose.

Last edited: