Verlinden 1/5 British Redcoat American Revolution

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

download (37).jpg

I received this today and have decided to shelve my other projects so that I can get straight on with it. Another Derek Holmes 1/5 bust for Verlinden, this time a member of the 5th Regiment of Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers) during the American War of Independence.

He's depicted in the campaign dress of short coat and light field cap:

af9784244fba12546761383b3a51e2e2.jpg68cdd28b9222073f9aae2bc6ffadf8cc.jpg8d97e65a5593097b277e56fc3353cf2b.jpg

Looking at the reference, there seems to be some disagreement about some of the uniform details, as in these pictures of a real cap and a repro:

4b7dab2b787f4a73bd2c84d8cbc2c459.jpglf.jpg

However, It appears that the box artist has got it basically right, so I think I'll use his scheme.

The kit comes in seven parts:

100_6378.JPG100_6377.JPG

I've already removed the casting blocks and cleaned up the various parts, ready for painting. I'll assemble most of the cap first, leaving off the crest.

As with all of these recent busts, it's all going to depend on the face, so fingers crossed. At least there are no acres of bare flesh to paint this time!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another monster piece, no need to go to the gym this week, lifting this one up and down!

Hopefully the next time you do the gladiator you'll have a more olive toned palette and perhaps a little more scarring rather than the tattooing, though I did think it looked really good.

Another trip to hospital with Anna this morning to ENT, its hard work getting older as all your faculties start to fail, its for her hearing this time, her toes were Monday!

I finally finished building the Stug III B yesterday, a massive update due later today, then a full desk change to painting with PO Dameron's micro X-wing and the interior of the FlakPanzer I

It's another cold and clear day before another storm front late this week

Have a good day with the new head, hopefully the eyes are OK

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

You need to be fit to paint these 1/5 busts. Both my son and I are down with a virus unfortunately, so the stamina is at a low ebb. May get the head started today though.

Spending convalescent time getting my son up to date on Powell and Pressburger films - watched 'Red Shoes' last night and tonight it's 'Black Narcissus'. 'A Matter of Life and Death' is my favourite ever film - pure magic.

You seem to be spending a lot of time at various clinics. Too true that you start to fall to bits as time passes. Have fun.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Peter.
This looks a good one. He's from the light company of the fifth.The second photo of the light infantry cap is correct according to my references and the facing colours of his coat were described as "gosling green",a dull pale green as far as I can see.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Thanks. At least I can just sit at the table and paint.

Jon - Many thanks for that. The first photo is supposed to be an original piece, so as usual it all gets a bit confusing.

Scottie - Make yourself comfortable. Feeling slightly better this evening thanks.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hopefully you boys are on the mend?

great start,though its difficult to see where you still need to improve the head?

Looks like today will be bright and clear, and with the body to paint, a little weight lifting for you!

I shall dust off the brushes, hopefully, to get painting BUT "life" does tend to throw up diversions when I try to paint!

I'm off to add my Stug III update

Have a good day with the weight lifting LOL

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I worked on the head last night (after abandoning Dunkirk 2/3 through - a truly awful film - give me the John Mills version any day) mainly softening down the wrinkles under the eyes. This is the best I can get it:

100_6398.JPG100_6399.JPG

Owen and I are a bit better thanks, so today it's on to the cap, which isn't too heavy.

Good luck in your attempt to get at the paints.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work Peter. He has a nice English complexion

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Hope you feel better soon. The face looks good :thumb2:
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Peter,
Hope you and Owen are well on the mend.
Very true about the 'new' Dunkirk film, turned a tragedy into a travesty. If you like a bit of action try Black and Blue, and 21 Bridges, SWMBO has to have her weekly dose of blood and guts...
By the way, yet another masterpiece from you.
Mike.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps - glad you approve so far.

Mike - Never been more disappointed in a film, especially after all the hype. Not one character you care about, poor dialogue, spitfires with bottomless fuel tanks that fly without fuel anyway, not the grizzled BEF but boys just out of school, buildings with modern cladding and double glazing, etc etc. Said nothing that was new and just went with the cliches. Gave up when Kenny Branagh staring out to sea says he can see ''Home'' as the little ships hove into view and the whole army starts cheering - so corny I nearly choked on my sandwich. I could go on and on...

On to the bust and the cap done bar the crest:

100_6402.JPG100_6403.JPG100_6400.JPG

And with the crest quickly painted:

100_6406.JPG100_6404.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely progress with the headgear and the tidy up on the eyes.

I guess you can't avoid the weight lifting for ever LOL.

Hopefully better weather down South as its freezing fog up't North at the moment, just waiting for Storm Ciara too!

Enjoy the day and painting the big bit!

Off to try some more painting myself

Regards

Steve H