Verlinden 1/5 Gladiator Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

verlinden-5-roman-gladiator-bust-1628_1_11b2b8118381ff2585a324f5de9d665e (1).jpg

This is the biggest yet, a huge 1/5 Verlinden gladiator. The sculptor, Derek Holmes, has depicted a Celt (nb the torque which hides the neck joint, and the moustache) dressed as a Thraex, or Thracian. However, instead of a Thracian sica sword, he's given him an Iberian falcata, which though similar, would have been less likely.

The bust throws up a dilemma in that there is a full face to paint, though the helmet type usually included a face guard, as provided. Assuming the face works out, I thought that it would be a shame to cover it, so I sought around for visorless reference:

3126fafc07b7a334ab17b7e87d99295c.jpg2014.115.jpgo6tufv0x3lw21.jpg

I may therefore give him a set of cheek guards and leave the helmet open. The other issue is that the holes in the visor have not been drilled out and would be very tricky to do.

So, on to the box contents:

100_6314.JPG

Nicely broken down so that the weight can be kept down during painting. The mould blocks are huge and will be challenging to remove, especially without damaging the superb sculpting.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
He's a big guy for sure. Can't figure out whether that means more scope to paint details or less chance to fudge errors - not that you make any of those :tongue-out3:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
that looks a real challenge- those casting blocks are in frightening places!
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
As Dave says this will be quite the challenge. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the skin tones. Good luck sir and unleash hell LOL

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I can't quite work it out. You'd think that the larger scale would mean more detail, but actually there is no more on these Verlinden 1/5s than at smaller scales. That may be the fault of the sculptor, though I can't see how they could be more detailed. The main problem I'm finding is getting a smooth finish over large areas, especially on the drapery.

Dave - Really nasty casting blocks, particularly that on the arm, which goes into the recess. A big challenge in all ways.

Steve - ''Unleash hell!'' indeed. The vast areas of flesh are particularly scary.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cleaned up and ready to paint:

100_6315.JPG

The casting blocks on the head and arm were so thick that I had to take a woodworking saw to them - fortunately they were removed without damage. The only tricky part was filling a nick in the helmet visor at the front where the profile was particularly thin.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps. It was difficult to do because of that dirty great visor, more because it cast awkward shadows than that it got in the way (which it did).

Last edited by a moderator:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Some of the great Peter Day magical painting beginning to happen here again… Love it!

D

Deleted member 6559

Very kind of you Joe. Nervous about tackling the helmet today....

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter very life like.you almost hear him roaring from here.
Very nice.
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You certainly have his aggressiveness well etched on his face. Good luck with the metal helmet. Has that got sculpted damage like the archers one?

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

great work on the face, must have been some what like painting inside a cup?

Difficult, but great results.

All that metal should be fun, then all the leather work on the arm, all great effects for your brush.

Looks grey here, and at long last a quiet day after several trips with Anna to the Podiatry department of Huddersfield university.

It has been trips by bus then car to get to were we are now, so no more up early and out nearly all day!

I might even get some work done on my Stug!

Have a good day with the metal, I am sure you have lots of fun

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Thanks. He's yelling ''We who are about to die, salute you!''

Steve J - He's Airfix the Icenian, star gladiator of the British circuit, always resplendent in shining armour and polished leather, so no dents in the helmet. May have one or two scars though....

Steve H - Hope the podiatry sorted some things out - was it for you or Anna? Had some attention myself from the local foot people which really helped. Heard from Katherine yesterday that she's coming back from NZ slightly early so as to avoid flights through China - 2 weeks to go, then more demands on my time! The head was tricky to get at, but at least it proved paintable - the helmet is primed and ready.

D

Deleted member 6559

The helmet:

100_6328.JPG100_6330.JPG

To paint this I first gave it a coat of matt black, then sealed it with a layer of matt varnish to protect the base while dry-brushing. I next dry-brushed on layers of Vallejo bronze followed by old gold to build up the tones, then re-asserted the shadows and lines with thinned black and black/brown. The last stage was to pick out the high-lights with pure gold. I'll no doubt do some more tweaking and tidying up, but it's basically there.