Verlinden 1/5 Gladiator Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic metal work on that one Peter, face is great as well....

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps.

The sculptor, Derek Holmes, was very good at armour and accessories. Less successful with faces and drapery, but you can't have it all.

I've done some research on the figures depicted on the helmet. On the right side I believe wi have Amphitrite, wife of Poseidon the sea god (perhaps our man was saved from a shipwreck?). On the left side is Minerva, goddess of wisdom and strategic warfare, and on the crest is Attis, a Greek god symbolising rebirth, or triumph over death. Quite relevant choices by the sculptor.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil.

I've read of some gladiators being the equivalent of the rock-stars of the ancient world. Some were feted by rich patrons and a member of the imperial family hosting gladiatorial games would have spent a lot of money making sure that everything looked as splendid as possible - both Julius Caesar and Domitian are recorded as having had personal teams of elite gladiators dressed in gold and silver armour. The fight was only part of the entertainment with the pompus or pre-fight parade being an important part of the entertainment. Wealthy matrons were often attracted by the charms of gladiators and many affairs were known of, so a personalised helmet could easily have been the gift of an infatuated admirer. Also, a star gladiator was literally a safer bet, so rewarded as such by grateful bettors (as well as there being fight-rigging and all of the usual shenanigans).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
He is great. Really like the face and the metal work is off the scale.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jim

Vallejo metallics are very, very good, particularly the bronze. I've learned that they have to be applied over a dark background and built up in layers.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

It has already been said, your metal work is quite sublime, even if you do play it down.

Looks like another good day with either metal, leather or skin as the only things left

I am sure you will have fun whichever you choose to do.

It was Anna at the podiatry unit for her big toes, both with ingrowing nails, which meant 6 visits so far, first by bus, which was a challenge and now by car this week, as I am driving again.

I am sure you will appreciate having Katherine back home a little sooner than planned.

I guess the Chinese Corona virus will have wide ranging effects that none of us will foresee until it happens.

Its yet another grey day here, with double figure temperatures forecast!

Rugby starts too, and perhaps some modelling too, I have a few little updates to add over the weekend, and more planes too!

Have a good day and enjoy the painting

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Working on the skin tones today, though I've had to strip it down twice as the paint keeps lifting. Nothing for it but to put a sealed primer coat on and start again.

Good that you're driving again and able to yourself and Anna about - public transport can be challenging.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Mr Brodie.

The torso is now done:

100_6341.JPG100_6343.JPG

This was completely horrendous. I first had a problem with the paint lifting, so I had to resort to giving it a priming coat of flat flesh then a layer of matt varnish. I also realised that, as I'd made the facial tones quite light, I would have to paint the torso to match, or at least put some very light highlights around the shoulders, which was going to be quite difficult.

Problems fixed, it was then on to attempting to blend the flesh tones over wide areas, and I had real trouble. It wasn't until I resorted to one of my daughter's make-up brushes, which had flat and soft bristles, that the paint started to go on reasonably well. As you can see, there was not much muscle definition to the sculpt, so it was hard to do any exciting shading - I did try to shade under the left pectoral more, but it looked too much like a pancaked breast so I had to flatten it out somewhat.

Finally, I decided to tone down some of the white highlights on the face to get some consistency on the thing overall.

D

Deleted member 6559

Yes Dave. There are such large areas to try and blend the tones over, and because it is large, bad painting shows up more. It's also pretty heavy, so the left hand starts to ache after a while. I think this will be my last 1/5 for some time.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks just as you said, very little definition!

With the right arm raised in a Roman salute, unless he was Arnold he really wouldn't have much pectoral definition!
I believe the gladiators were vegan and ate mostly spelt porridge, that was the history channel and HBO's Blood and Sand series.

Yet another wild night up't North, with wheelie bins escaping down the driveway and across the road.

I then spent the early morning trying to get back to sleep, but gave up eventually!

Been watching Good Omens, very cheeky and disrespectful, so Pratchett.

Have a good day with the arm and sword, lots more metal painting

Regards

Steve H

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

Loving what you've done so far. The helmet of particular has come out really well and thanks for the tip about applying vallejo metals over a black primer.

How big is the actual bust? 1/5 strikes me as very large.

ATB

Andrew

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Like the others have said, that helmet metallic painting is great..not sure why you were so nervous about it..your skills are superb

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

The lack of definition on the torso kept me awake at night trying to think of a solution. Came up with something, (see below).