Verlinden 1/5 Gladiator Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - Many thanks. Here he is with a 1/35 figure:

100_6354.JPG

Pretty big, as you can see.

Ralph - Glad you approve. This one's tough going.

Joe - Thanks also. It was the size of the thing that worried me.

So, I had a think about what to do with the bland torso and thought Celtic body painting:

100_6349.JPG100_6355.JPG

Very hard to photograph clearly, so apologies.

I took the designs from some research done by some re-enactors, and have tried to make it look like it's been painted in woade. Patterns are definitely not my forte, and I found this immensely difficult to do - several times I reached the point where the bin looked like the only viable option. At one point the pattern went wrong on the right shoulder, so I had to strip the whole thing back and sand it down, trying not to damage the rest of the paintwork. I'm not at all happy with it, but I'll leave it now and come back to it with a fresh eye tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

OK then, some initial photos:

100_6358.JPG100_6359.JPG100_6360.JPG100_6361.JPG

Thankfully, this looks a lot better in the photos than in real life. I'm still not sure about the body painting, but I'll try to live with it for a while before deciding whether to re-paint it or not.

With the visor:

100_6364.JPG

The damned thing doesn't fit! Good job there was the open face option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great job on this Peter, looks spot on. Love the woad skin drawings....I chickened out of doing that on my little Gauls.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks. Rally appreciate your continued support.

Richard - Cheers, glad you like him. Fancy some body art?

Tim - Shame at you for not doing the skin painting on your 28mm Gauls! Seriously, it was a lot easier at this scale, though I'm still not sure about them. However, this one is done and dusted and is going into the cabinet.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow Pete, that comparison photo, he' s big alright !:surprised:
I can see why you can have problems with the painting something that size, larger brushes as well to contend with .
Sorry I missed the start.:crying:

D

Deleted member 6559

John - I've certainly been getting through the paint as well.

Andy - Glad you like him. Many thanks.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Inspired chest filler, and well executed too.

Definitely a cabinet piece, and a rest for your arms next.

A smaller piece to give everything a chance to recover?

Bulk order with John for paint and a discount too?

Another busy day here, Anna off to Huddersfield for Podiatry am and I'm at physio pm.

We had the sofa repaired under warentee yesterday, a Sunday!

I got a little modelling done too

Have a good day with your new project

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Only a partial success this one, and I'm trying hard to live with it - let's see if it makes it to the end of the week. Back to 200mm for my next one, which looks tiny in comparison. Hope the hospital visits leave you and yours in good form.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ralph - Many thanks. Rally appreciate your continued support.

Richard - Cheers, glad you like him. Fancy some body art?

Tim - Shame at you for not doing the skin painting on your 28mm Gauls! Seriously, it was a lot easier at this scale, though I'm still not sure about them. However, this one is done and dusted and is going into the cabinet.

Will it fit in the cupboard?? LOL. It wasn't until you did the size comparison that you realise what a beast he is. Do you use the same painting strategy or do you tackle the big stuff differently? That's mad the visor doesn't fit. Look forward to seeing your next piece of work

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Every aspect of the painting is done to perfection. He certainly grows on you.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - It fitted in the cupboard, but at an angle. No real difference in the painting strategy other than use bigger brushes.

Jim - I made a big mistake with this one in painting the face tones too light. That meant that I had to paint the body tones to match them, when it would have been easier to get better contrasts with darker tones. At the time I didn't feel like re-painting the face, so the body art solution became a sort of fix, but one that hasn't worked particularly well. I'm not happy with this one, and have confined it to a box in the attic, to be re-worked another day.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I reckon you should paint some stones Peter,My wife said Mr Peter the painter would do some awesome ones,If you look on Pintrest there are stunners mate.
Rich.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
looks good, have you ever thought of laying doen the colours on these big busts with an airbrush ?, then detail up with the brushes ?

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I must say stones have their appeal.

Steve - I don't have an airbrush, so not an option. It's the detailing that's the most difficult part and you can only really do that with a brush.