Verlinden 1/5 Viking Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

The history of the struggle is there in the finish, though the memory of it is fading somewhat and I'm more reconciled to it. I was hoping to be able to do something better, but the sculpt was a bit iffy (always blame the sculptor!). The helmet was also tough, mainly because such vast areas needed to be painted and metallics are extra-demanding. Thinking of green for the tunic.

Very frosty here with a brilliant red sunrise. Should be a clear bright day.

Sorry to hear about your back. My neck and shoulders have also gone, the result of carrying my granddaughter. Very painful.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
The very large scale has certainly been a test but it looks really good now. As soon as you say Viking you think of 'character' and I think he has plenty :thumb2:
Had to smile when I read of your little angel personalising the coffee table - they are little treasures aren't they :rolling: Last week mine had me at the play park - ok at the time but recovery may take a while!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. I'm going to have to move on from the head now, as I don't think there's any more I can do to improve it. Hopefully this will be a 'sum of the parts' figure.

Re; Little ones. How they keep going is a mystery.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well he is certainly a beast of a man. Glad to hear the sculpt is a good one. The head is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing the rest

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad you like him so far Steve. I must admit that I'm finding this one very difficult.

Got some way with the torso:

100_6244.JPG100_6243.JPG

The mail is proving problematic. At smaller scales I would have just painted it black, then dry-brushed on ever lighter shades of steel. Here, I'm finding that the surface is uneven and lumpy and defying a clean finish. I've resorted to washes, which is helping even out the tones, and am even painting in individual chain links.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

I've done a bit more work on the chain mail, basically flattening out the bumps with a graphite pencil. It's getting there. A couple of out of focus pictures:

100_6247.JPG100_6248.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

it look a big lump of resin. it may be a bit of a battle but it's looking good. Are you going to distress the leatherbelt with a bit of wear & tear?

peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your struggles with the bust, eyes and mail are certainly paying off, as the bust looks super.

The quality of your work still shines through, even if it has been a tough fight!

Should be the last round of the fight today?

One positive is that you have battled through and not boxed the bust for recycling!

Well Done.

I shall try the car again today and see if I can get my left foot onto the clutch pedal, I really do need to get to my Chiropractor, soon!

Hopefully your shoulder and neck have settled down a little, just reduce the small person weight lifting LOL

Looks like a few grey days ahead fro us, according to the BBC!

Have a good pay on the final nits

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Yes, it's huge and pretty heavy. Fortunately the components are separate, so it can be painted piece by piece. I will do something with the belt - just wanted to get it blocked-in yesterday.

Steve - Much more reconciled to it today - the chain mailed settled down once all the washes were dry and it's looking OK this morning. Onto the final leg - finishing the back of the torso, then the arm and sword, a few tweaks and it should be done.

Hope you can get your back sorted. My neck is pretty painful, not helped by Remi falling asleep on me yesterday and my not wanting to move and wake her. It's very hard not to pick her up - 'Up, up, up!!!'

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Peter

The strap just got a coat of dark brown Cherry Blossom, then a polish.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Another successful bust, well done.
I have just seen your archer!
Not sure that head/face will pass muster?
Looks a little ""dog-faced""?
Perhaps the box art was done in particularly bad light?
Recycle box at the ready.
Have a good day whatever the outcome.
Another cloudy day in Paradise LOL
I need to reduce my medication!
Regards
Steve H